Premed 101 Forums

2Nd Iteration Invite Thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's NRMP match day tomorrow.

I have given up on 2nd iteration. I will be applying to NRMP next year. I have already taken step 1, CK, and CS but need to take step 3 before applying.

IIRC you don't need step 3 before applying, you do that during residency... or is there some special constraint if you're an img?

IIRC you don't need step 3 before applying, you do that during residency... or is there some special constraint if you're an img?

I think it's NRMP match day tomorrow.

I have given up on 2nd iteration. I will be applying to NRMP next year. I have already taken step 1, CK, and CS but need to take step 3 before applying.

You don't need step 3 just like you don't need the QE1 but if you have it it can strengthen your application (as long as you do well)

I am a CMG.

Yes. You don't need step 3 for J1 visa. But, I am hoping to get a H1B, which requires step 3.

Ah right yes, I was going off my knowledge of the process for Canadians at US schools - they can use the OPTI from the student F1 visa in the first year of residency and then get the H1B - but yes, you're right, as a strictly CMG you would need step 3 to apply for the H1B.

I am a CMG.

Yes. You don't need step 3 for J1 visa. But, I am hoping to get a H1B, which requires step 3.

I'm curious though, as a CMG if you took all that time and effort to write steps 1-2 of the USMLEs...why didn't you apply to NRMP this go around? Seems like a whole lot of extra grueling work to not make any use of it :S   or were you just doing them to keep fellowship options open?

Not to be nosy, just curious. 

I'm curious though, as a CMG if you took all that time and effort to write steps 1-2 of the USMLEs...why didn't you apply to NRMP this go around? Seems like a whole lot of extra grueling work to not make any use of it :S   or were you just doing them to keep fellowship options open?

Not to be nosy, just curious. 

Yes. I took those to keep my options open for fellowships. It's easier to take usmle while you are in med school. And, I was pretty hopeful and confident about CaRMS match so I didn't apply for NRMP.

can you still apply for Soap ? and apply that way.  I know the US also sends out a list of unfilled programs after ERAS closes tomorrow.  You still may have a shot.

SOAP is just about done I think. Very quick in the US, none of this wait a month and a half to find out if you won the 2nd round lottery

SOAP and how horrible it is. Pretty much the same for Canada but more drawn out here.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/MedicalEducation/50591

Drawn out? isn't it quicker with the entire second around effectively just in one week? (still learning aspects all these other systems :) )

sounds like it is stressful as hell though. In canada at least there really are more residents spots than people (not by much of course but there are more). In the US there is a musical chairs game where for SURE some people are going to be left standing.

ha, from the match page:

The 2015 Match included 41,334 total registrants, the largest number on record. The growth in the number of U.S. seniors, 651 more than last year, is due to rising medical school enrollments and the many new schools being established. More than 30,000 total positions were offered in 2015, an all-time high. Half of the 600-plus new first-year positions were in the primary care specialties of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics.

Drawn out? isn't it quicker with the entire second around effectively just in one week? (still learning aspects all these other systems :) )

sounds like it is stressful as hell though. In canada at least there really are more residents spots than people (not by much of course but there are more). In the US there is a musical chairs game where for SURE some people are going to be left standing.

I meant was more drawn out in Canada. While high stress in the US its more like ripping off a band aid. I'm not sure which is better. at least in Canada they have time to look at all applications in round 2

I meant was more drawn out in Canada. While high stress in the US its more like ripping off a band aid. I'm not sure which is better. at least in Canada they have time to look at all applications in round 2

ha gotcha :) I don't think either system is optimal - the US system seems too short (how do you get any extra materials or really have time to consider any of the other fields - you basically would have to assume you didn't match in advance I think and get everything already lined up). There is simply no way in 4 days the schools can possible really get to know all the applicants, so that seems like a crap shoot.

The Canadian one is a bit stretched I think - Not sure why they need 2 weeks after everyone submits to actually compute the results. That seems like dead time when an algorithm would spit out the results immediately. Also not sure why the programs have one less week to submit everything over the applicants. If the schools can figure it out by next week Thursday I suspect so can the applicants. That would shave 3 weeks off of the Canadian system right there and give people answers before April (ie basically in one week).

Agreed. far too much dead time. No idea why applicants (who for the most part likely have their rank lists done even before they interview) need longer than programs to make list. 
It's reasonable to give computer some time in case of crashes and for error checks though. but maybe it doesn't need that much time.

Definitely this, SOAP is way better than Carms round 2 in expediency. But from talking to a friend who went through it, it is hectic.

Definitely this, SOAP is way better than Carms round 2 in expediency. But from talking to a friend who went through it, it is hectic.

and the fact that so many are going through it at the same time - I mean you would be glued to your computer, phone, email etc, etc all the time to make sure you don't miss a thing, even for a second.

Is it over? No more CaRMS Interview invitations?

they never make anything official about that but historically by this point it would be extremely unlikely for further interviews. Programs are running out of time before their match lists are due.

I hope all those stuck in round two are hanging in there!

Archived