Premed 101 Forums

Question About Electives To Im Resident Please

PCT6TH

Please I would like for current IM residents to answer my question.

I am IMG and I want to takes electives in Canada. I want IM residency, not FM, not psych, only IM. I realise IM is competitive for IMG's so I plan to take 3 or 4 months of electives in Canada. I plan to take all 3-4 months in IM to get me the best chance for IM residency acceptance.

I have 2 questions please:

1. As you all know electives are expensive for IMG's (plus there is still the cost of the exams+ CaRMS match) , so do you think 3 months is enough to secure IM residency ? Or better to do 4 months ?

2.Can any current IM resident please advice me on how to breakdown my 3- 4 months of electives please ? Should I take them all CTU ? Or mix of CTU and subspecialities ? I don't have any preferences I just want best chance for IM residency acceptance so please tell me the best thing to do :)

I am new here so I don't know how to tag anybody.........please if somebody knows any IM resident in this forum please tag him here.

Thank you very much

Nobody can tell you how much is "enough" to get a residency.  Maybe you will get lucky and only need 2 weeks to impress some influential staff person at a program somewhere. Maybe you'll do 12 straight months but still won't match because you're just not a strong candidate. A third scenario is you're a good candidate but you'll get unlucky and not work with the right people, or realize that there are 100 other applicants who seem equally qualified as you and the person who gets ranked the highest comes down to luck. 

All I can say is you're going to have difficulty getting even one month of electives in Canada, but the more you can do, the better off you'll be. If you do rotations, CTU/MTU is always good but don't hesitate to do some subspecialties as well. What you really need are strong letters of recommendation from influential people. Good luck and apply to NRMP as well. 

Archived