Premed 101 Forums

Is 38 Too Late ?

You have all given me a lot to think about. To be honest slumdogpremed had a point. We have already crossed the bridge where I have been offered more money and a better position somewhere else, she refuses to leave her home town.

I think the big thing that I have gotten from all of this though is that be a physician, pharmacist , engineer , or garbage man- they are all jobs and all come with their inherent positives and negatives. I do have a great job that I enjoy;moreover, in my current situation I have time to spend with my kids which is the most important thing in the world to me. If I decided med school was the way to go, I would certainly have to be away from my kids for up to 8 years. This is completely unacceptable to me. My relationship with my wife may not make it but I absolutely want to be 100% involved in my kids lives, and that unfortunately means that I need to put my wants on the back-burner.

Thanks everyone for helping me realize this :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a successful relationship is exactly what was said above, you support each other as people. If someone has a great dream like going back to school, something that carries a lot of prestige, possibly more money and security, and above all more fulfilled life/desire to be the best they can be, the spouse should support that person in their desire to improve themselves. OP is not asking to go buy a luxury car and put the family in debt, or do something ridiculous like take 4 months off work to "find himself", OP is chasing the MD because I'm assuming he wants to push himself to the limit from an academic / clinical point of view, wants to know all he can to provide health care (I can relate to this). I don't think dreams like this are silly. Life in your house in Toronto or Calgary or where ever you live is not the center of the universe. It's not the end of the world to uproot and move to another suburb across the country. People immigrate all the time across time zones and oceans for better jobs, better opportunity. Life will be fine. You will have new neighbours, new friends, kids will go to a new school, settle in, and forget they even moved after a couple of months. Unless you have some special situation where you live down the street from all your relatives and make it a tradition to eat dinner together 3 times a week...I don't see what is really so special about anywhere that you as a family unit could not move and basically live the same way somewhere else. That's just my opinion. I moved a lot growing up and learned that things/ places are just temporary. As long as you have your family with you, you will adapt, settle in, and life will be just fine :)

Anyway, only OP knows what he really wants in his heart. At the end of the day being a pharmacist is a great gig, and if it is about professional fulfillment then there are many other things to add to your job (teaching, research, find your local university and get involved in the pharmacy program or something related, you could go on a mission somewhere abroad for a couple of months to teach, look into the WHO they need pharmacist interns and volunteers). Lots of options.

Archived