Premed 101 Forums

2015 Countdown

Anyone else feeling extremely anxious post-interviews? I hate waiting! I guess at least it's only a week until we hear back as to whether we passed the interviews or not. I'm going to be pretty embarrassed as an IP if I didn't pass because my graduate studies supervisor told me that they will probably only drop the bottom 5-10% due to such a low # of IP applicants this year. He said they might not even say in the email what their cutoff was because it would be too harsh to be like "sorry you were in the bottom 5% of interviewees" as compared to "sorry you were somewhere in the bottom 40% of interviewees".

Aside from passing anxiety and getting in, there's also the getting into the city you want to be at for the next 4 years anxiety. Ugh. May 15 couldn't come sooner. At least I have lots of work to keep me busy until then...

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else feeling extremely anxious post-interviews? I hate waiting! I guess at least it's only a week until we hear back as to whether we passed the interviews or not. I'm going to be pretty embarrassed as an IP if I didn't pass because my graduate studies supervisor told me that they will probably only drop the bottom 5-10% due to such a low # of IP applicants this year. He said they might not even say in the email what their cutoff was because it would be too harsh to be like "sorry you were in the bottom 5% of interviewees" as compared to "sorry you were somewhere in the bottom 40% of interviewees".

Aside from passing anxiety and getting in, there's also the getting into the city you want to be at for the next 4 years anxiety. Ugh. May 15 couldn't come sooner. At least I have lots of work to keep me busy until then...

It only gets worse the closer we get to the date :P

It would be awesome if they would tell you what decile you placed in the interview when they send emails regarding interview pass/fail. Would really help applicants get a better idea if they will be getting an offer or not. Oh well, they like making us sweat.

I know! As far as I know they used to tell you your decile when they sent out first offers I think. Since U of A (and I think U of C?) have decided to send out early acceptances so that people can make a decision on whether to write the MCAT (moved their date to May 4 I believe) I wonder if USask will follow suit considering they will be adding the MCAT requirement for next fall and people who didn't write it this year might need to write this summer. Glad I got that over with last fall so I don't need to stress about finding a seat - it will be nearly impossible in province considering how limited seats are. I even had to go to Edmonton to write last fall.

Just wondering how many of you guys applied to usask physical therapy and were offered a spot? I'm #1 on the pt waitlist and am totally anxious to get off the waitlist :<

No, I didn't and I don't actually know anybody who did... but good luck! Are you allowed to sit on your spot if you're offered one until you hear back from medicine? I bet a lot of people get off the waitlist for PT when med admission invites come out

No, I didn't and I don't actually know anybody who did... but good luck! Are you allowed to sit on your spot if you're offered one until you hear back from medicine? I bet a lot of people get off the waitlist for PT when med admission invites come out

I'm on the pt waitlist and am hoping that someone who got accepted will be accepted in medicine :P which would result in them taking medicine and freeing up a spot in pt

I'm on the pt waitlist and am hoping that someone who got accepted will be accepted in medicine :P which would result in them taking medicine and freeing up a spot in pt

Ohhhh that makes sense! Haha oops, misinterpreted that I just assumed you applied to med since you replied to this thread. I'm sure as #1 on the PT waitlist you will be accepted into a spot. It's extremely likely that AT LEAST one person offered a spot to PT who applied to that as their "back up" will also get into medicine! And then there's the people who get into other PT programs or need to defer for a year or whathaveyou!

A reference of mine just got the email today to set up the phone interview. Good news for making the cutoff, maybe?

Probably a very good sign! Doubt they'd bother calling somebody's reference who didn't make the cutoff haha.

A reference of mine just got the email today to set up the phone interview. Good news for making the cutoff, maybe?

Its great news! Means you passed the interview stage (>15 percentile (?) in-province or >40 percentile out-of-province). Congrats!

Three more days until we find out who passed! For those of us who aren't so lucky as to have been contacted by any of our references to say admissions emailed them ;). My one reference would definitely tell me, but I think he's the least likely one to be contacted because he's on the admissions committee. The other two are more old school and would be a little more hush hush about it, or at least definitely wouldn't go out of their way to let me know they were contacted! Gonna have to wait until friday...

If those of you who are already getting their referees contacted are OOP, I wouldn't be surprised. Looks like they're going to be doing a few more long distance phone calls than usual this application cycle due to the large number of OOP applicants interviewed. (That's my rationalization, at least.) 

If those of you who are already getting their referees contacted are OOP, I wouldn't be surprised. Looks like they're going to be doing a few more long distance phone calls than usual this application cycle due to the large number of OOP applicants interviewed. (That's my rationalization, at least.) 

I think because of the low # of in province applicants they're actually going to end up making the same number of calls they usually do. I have a feeling that's why they felt comfortable upping the OOP interview numbers this year, because they knew they could handle the volume of reference checks because instead of the usual 130-150 reference checks for IP if they cut the max of the bottom 20% theyll only have 105 ref checks for IP. So, let's say they normally interview 70 OOP, they'd check references for the top 60% or 42 people. This year they interviewed ~130 OOP, they'll be checking references for 78 people, or an extra 40. But they're checking for 40 less IP.. so it'll still equal out to a toal of about 200 ref checks like Barry Ziola stated in the debriefing session.

In other news... 1 more day until we find out if we passed!

I think because of the low # of in province applicants they're actually going to end up making the same number of calls they usually do. I have a feeling that's why they felt comfortable upping the OOP interview numbers this year, because they knew they could handle the volume of reference checks because instead of the usual 130-150 reference checks for IP if they cut the max of the bottom 20% theyll only have 105 ref checks for IP. So, let's say they normally interview 70 OOP, they'd check references for the top 60% or 42 people. This year they interviewed ~130 OOP, they'll be checking references for 78 people, or an extra 40. But they're checking for 40 less IP.. so it'll still equal out to a toal of about 200 ref checks like Barry Ziola stated in the debriefing session.

In other news... 1 more day until we find out if we passed!

I am aware of the math. I was merely offering some reassurance to IPs who haven't had their referees contacted yet. :) (I have no idea if mine have been.) I would assume that OOP referee checks might be bit trickier to set up due to time zones, etc. so I'd imagine that Admissions would want to get that out of the way. 

The things I think about when I'm procrastinating. Hope y'all hear some good news! 

I am aware of the math. I was merely offering some reassurance to IPs who haven't had their referees contacted yet. :) (I have no idea if mine have been.) I would assume that OOP referee checks might be bit trickier to set up due to time zones, etc. so I'd imagine that Admissions would want to get that out of the way. 

The things I think about when I'm procrastinating. Hope y'all hear some good news! 

Yeah, maybe, I thought you were inferring they would get called first because there were more of them or something.

Not the best year to be an OOP, but a chance is better than no chance!

I think if you pass the interview you have a pretty good chance! I've heard they go quite far down the waitlist because most OOP get into their top choices and pick them over U of S (I mean they have to be fairly competitive to have a 35+ MCAT I would think!). But I agree, 130 interviewed for 10 spots is pretty intense and would make you doubt your chances even if you passed the interview.

Yeah, maybe, I thought you were inferring they would get called first because there were more of them or something.

I think if you pass the interview you have a pretty good chance! I've heard they go quite far down the waitlist because most OOP get into their top choices and pick them over U of S (I mean they have to be fairly competitive to have a 35+ MCAT I would think!). But I agree, 130 interviewed for 10 spots is pretty intense and would make you doubt your chances even if you passed the interview.

I remember the Dean mentioning that the most students they ever had register for OOP was 4 or something. So even if they tripled the number of students interviewed they may not fill up all the 10 spots. All the OOP students I met had other interviews and most had Sask as their last choice so it should go very deep down the waitlist, I would think.

I remember the Dean mentioning that the most students they ever had register for OOP was 4 or something. So even if they tripled the number of students interviewed they may not fill up all the 10 spots. All the OOP students I met had other interviews and most had Sask as their last choice so it should go very deep down the waitlist, I would think.

I'm perfectly okay with them only filling 4 or 5 OOP spots... more spots for the rest of us IP :). Really makes you think, even if they only cut 10% of sask IP applicants, thats only about 115 applicants left... if some OOP spots, plus some equity spots go to the regular IP pool... it could go up to 90ish or more spots for IP. So the majority of IP who pass the interview will be getting admisions offers. I like those odds!

Archived