Premed 101 Forums

2015 Countdown

My masters took me a long time to complete because I was working in the operating room full time and I injured my shoulder which set me back two terms. I Hope I'm being paranoid... I just think it's crazy to interview people if they aren't sastified with their academic

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My masters took me a long time to complete because I was working in the operating room full time and I injured my shoulder which set me back two terms. I Hope I'm being paranoid... I just think it's crazy to interview people if they aren't sastified with their academic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the people who were disqualified were done so on the grounds of professionalism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the people who were disqualified were done so on the grounds of professionalism.

They also check academic records to make sure you can make it in med. Things like course load, difficulty of courses, withdrawals/other things of concern on transcipts, etc. I agree with Katee87 that it seems a bit backwards to do it after you interview a candidate, but that's just how it is I guess.

Anyone else stressing out the fact that 9 successful applicants were disqualified last year for academic and professional issue? That's a high number

Yep! And it's completely out of our hands and behind closed doors. Fingers crossed that they won't dig too deep into our referrees. Not that I logically have anything to be concerned about, but second-hand information makes me shudder.

Has anyone checked in with the admissions office regarding them setting April 30th as the deadline for official term two transcripts on their application cycle calendar?

(http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/prospective-students/admissions/20142015-application-cycle-calendar/index.php)

I just wanted to check in with everyone before I sent them an email.

Anyone else stressing out the fact that 9 successful applicants were disqualified last year for academic and professional issue? That's a high number

I have heard from a reliable source that the admissions committee will weed out the "silly complaints" from the interviewers (yes, they have tried to "red flag" people for stupid reasons like 'I feel like they glared at me when they walked in the room') vs. serious professional misconduct complaints (ie. I have heard of one person being flagged for a comment that was pretty disrespectful and insensitive towards the history of aboriginal people in regards to residential schools, or Barry Ziola mentioned someone kicking a chair in frustration or anger). Even the serious ones, they debate every angle of it and don't take these things lightly. At the end of discussion I think they do some kind of a vote on whether they think the person should be disqualified based on misconduct. Same goes for academic inconsistencies. Things like paying to have your exams rearranged or constantly deferring exams (you can pay about 85$ an exam I think to re-schedule the final and there are people who will pay ~500 bucks a term to set their own schedules), taking the first year courses of a bunch of different degrees to boost marks, etc. can all fall under the academic inconsistences/unprofessional flags. If you're trying to game the system to improve your GPA they want to weed you out. I believe Barry said that 3 people had unprofessional flags, 3 had academic inconsistency, and 3 had both - so, only 6 unprofessional flags (the ones you might not know you did), and only 3 of those were people who didn't already have a GPA or academics issue. I believe that was 9/250ish interviewed (about 4%). Because the U of S interviews based SOLELY on grades, they get a few more wingnuts than you'd expect come interviews time. You're there because of a number on your transcript, not because you've been professionally/socially screened in any way, you know? That being said, most "normal" people won't get flagged, and if you are the committee seriously discusses it, it's not like Barry Ziola sits in in his office with a rejection stamp personally deciding who's in and who's out!

All that being said, you probably have very very little to worry about. A medical leave of absence from school won't be seen as an "inconsistency" academically, I'm sure.

Has anyone checked in with the admissions office regarding them setting April 30th as the deadline for official term two transcripts on their application cycle calendar?

(http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/prospective-students/admissions/20142015-application-cycle-calendar/index.php)

I just wanted to check in with everyone before I sent them an email.

Some schools don't have grades ready by the 30th and they told me through email that it's fine. Just send ASAP

I have heard from a reliable source that the admissions committee will weed out the "silly complaints" from the interviewers (yes, they have tried to "red flag" people for stupid reasons like 'I feel like they glared at me when they walked in the room') vs. serious professional misconduct complaints (ie. I have heard of one person being flagged for a comment that was pretty disrespectful and insensitive towards the history of aboriginal people in regards to residential schools, or Barry Ziola mentioned someone kicking a chair in frustration or anger). Even the serious ones, they debate every angle of it and don't take these things lightly. At the end of discussion I think they do some kind of a vote on whether they think the person should be disqualified based on misconduct. Same goes for academic inconsistencies. Things like paying to have your exams rearranged or constantly deferring exams (you can pay about 85$ an exam I think to re-schedule the final and there are people who will pay ~500 bucks a term to set their own schedules), taking the first year courses of a bunch of different degrees to boost marks, etc. can all fall under the academic inconsistences/unprofessional flags. If you're trying to game the system to improve your GPA they want to weed you out. I believe Barry said that 3 people had unprofessional flags, 3 had academic inconsistency, and 3 had both - so, only 6 unprofessional flags (the ones you might not know you did), and only 3 of those were people who didn't already have a GPA or academics issue. I believe that was 9/250ish interviewed (about 4%). Because the U of S interviews based SOLELY on grades, they get a few more wingnuts than you'd expect come interviews time. You're there because of a number on your transcript, not because you've been professionally/socially screened in any way, you know? That being said, most "normal" people won't get flagged, and if you are the committee seriously discusses it, it's not like Barry Ziola sits in in his office with a rejection stamp personally deciding who's in and who's out!

All that being said, you probably have very very little to worry about. A medical leave of absence from school won't be seen as an "inconsistency" academically, I'm sure.

Dr. Ziola also said at the post interview session that they will be transparent about why you were screened out and there is an opportunity for appeal (although few appeals have actually been successful)

Some schools don't have grades ready by the 30th and they told me through email that it's fine. Just send ASAP

Dr. Ziola also said at the post interview session that they will be transparent about why you were screened out and there is an opportunity for appeal (also few appeals have actually been successful)

I don't remember him saying that, but then again I was pretty drained after the interviews and half zoned out! Well then, that's even more reasonable. Not really too much to worry about then.

Ahhh I see. Well still, at least you know if you were you could change it for next time assuming it wasn't something so egregious they never want you back :P. I got a ref call today! Yay!

I've been so tempted to ask my other referees if they received a call. One of my references volunteered the information, the other two are on radio silence :(

I've been so tempted to ask my other referees if they received a call. One of my references volunteered the information, the other two are on radio silence :(

They said at the post-interview session that they'll probably only call 1 referee unless they have some doubts about your file. No time

Were most of you at the Saturday session? I have a feeling Dr. Ziola said a lot more at the Sunday post-interview sessions...

I don't recall him specifying to that much detail. I do recall him saying that the calls are to rule out etc. it is possible that he did some brainstorming after the two Saturday sessions and came up with additional things to discuss. I was Saturday morning so ours was probably the bare version (?)

So I was just thinking about site selection today for OOPs. If I recall correctly there is no redistribution of sites if you come off the waitlist, so if a Saskatoon spot opens up you will be placed into Saskatoon even if you chose Regina. There are 6 Sask and 4 Regina spots for OOP.

Since most OOPs come off the waitlist anyways, doesn't this mean it's essentially random for OOPs?

So I was just thinking about site selection today for OOPs. If I recall correctly there is no redistribution of sites if you come off the waitlist, so if a Saskatoon spot opens up you will be placed into Saskatoon even if you chose Regina. There are 6 Sask and 4 Regina spots for OOP.

Since most OOPs come off the waitlist anyways, doesn't this mean it's essentially random for OOPs?

I dont remember hearing that (but then again seems like I dont remember much from Barry's speech). But it wouldn't be random I don't think because lets say, top 10 applicants get offers, 6 sask 4 regina and they all decline and so they start moving down the list. If you requested a regina seat, and there are regina and sask seats being offered and you're ranked 11th, youll get offered the seat in the place you wanted, 12th gets next choice, and so on, until there aren't any choices. I guess in the end that ends up sort of random, because let's say most people chose sask, if 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th get offers next and theres 1 sask spot 3 regina, 12th would get offered a sask spot, and if they decline... 16th would get offered the sask spot. So technically, although they're ranked lower, they get the next spot. It'll only work that way if they send out offers in chunks though. If they offer 1 at a time and wait for a response then you'll truly get choice based on your rank.

i wonder what they consider "gaming your gpa". i was in an honors degree that had very stringent course requirements including a year long honors thesis in the final year. i of course took that into consideration and saved two of my limited (we were allowed to take no more than 6 100 level courses) easy first year electives for the final year so i wouldn't be over worked. that being said, i also took graduate level courses in my final year out of interest.

i wonder what they consider "gaming your gpa". i was in an honors degree that had very stringent course requirements including a year long honors thesis in the final year. i of course took that into consideration and saved two of my limited (we were allowed to take no more than 6 100 level courses) easy first year electives for the final year so i wouldn't be over worked. that being said, i also took graduate level courses in my final year out of interest.

From what I understand, it's when people who go hopping around from college to college or major to major trying to do the "easy first year courses" - aka, not following a degree path that would end in an actual degree. I've also heard that's why the 4 year degree requirement was changed (but also I think that was to get in line with most of canada's other med schools) - because you really cant do that if you need a 4 year degree first! I honestly have no idea how many people actually did that. If anything, I always did MUCH better in my upper year courses than my "easy 1st year electives" because I was way more into protein biochemistry than soc 101 or whatever. And I find it easier to do well on written tests than multiple choice. My marks went up about 10% in 3rd year due to no more crappy mult choice tests!

This was in the post-session... Sunday at noon?

I'm glad they will release some amount of information. I know the OOP list tends to move pretty quickly, but given how many people there are, I'd rather know my approximate position then be in the dark through the whole process.

This was in the post-session... Sunday at noon?

ah i guess they must have changed their mind the next day.

I'm glad they will release some amount of information. I know the OOP list tends to move pretty quickly, but given how many people there are, I'd rather know my approximate position then be in the dark through the whole process.

yeah, i don't understand why schools wouldn't give the exact numerical position on the list. i suppose that might cause people to accept other school offers if they're lower down but i don't really see any issue with that.

Archived