Premed 101 Forums

2015 Countdown

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the person who wrote that email should write a thriller novel or something, because my god, the suspense as I was reading...

I know, right? I was like blah blah blah K WHERE IS IT? Even though they bolded and underlined "will be" the struggle was still real to find that sentence midway through. At first I thought it gave a long preamble because it was negative - I assumed if it was positive it would say something like "Congratulations! You have passed the MMI and your application will be under further review for admissions" or something in the first sentence. Nope.

This is pure speculation, but anyone think they decreased the cutoff for OOP in fear that the 90 IP spots won't fill? I mean ~115 applicants for 90 spots. I'm sure at least 25 people have multiple interviews.

That's an interesting theory... and I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

This is pure speculation, but anyone think they decreased the cutoff for OOP in fear that the 90 IP spots won't fill? I mean ~115 applicants for 90 spots. I'm sure at least 25 people have multiple interviews.

Is my math terrible? I keep on calculating ~120 IP applicants (including aboriginal) for max 90 spots. Not that it even matters. Here's to borderline obsessing for a month. 

I thought they interviewed 130 IP but I realise now that didn't include people in the aboriginal equity group so it was actually 138. So 87% of that is 120 people and there are 90 spots but historically the most OOP spots to be filled is 4 (for example, last year 98 IP were admitted). However, with an extra 30 OOP post interviews they may fill close to all 10 spots for OOP - who knows!

I thought they interviewed 130 IP but I realise now that didn't include people in the aboriginal equity group so it was actually 138. So 87% of that is 120 people and there are 90 spots but historically the most OOP spots to be filled is 4 (for example, last year 98 IP were admitted). However, with an extra 30 OOP post interviews they may fill close to all 10 spots for OOP - who knows!

Great! My brain hasn't gone to mush, then!

I'm pretty confident they'll be filling all 10 OOP spots. They filled 8 in 2013 with only 62 interviewed. 

Great! My brain hasn't gone to mush, then!

I'm pretty confident they'll be filling all 10 OOP spots. They filled 8 in 2013 with only 62 interviewed.

Oh good to know, I didn't even notice that but someone on here had said historically they never filled more than 4. But 2013 admissions was before they were on probation I think so maybe that's what affected last year's numbers.

Is my math terrible? I keep on calculating ~120 IP applicants (including aboriginal) for max 90 spots. Not that it even matters. Here's to borderline obsessing for a month. 

Sorry, I was too lazy to punch in the numbers myself so I just typed something in that range :P

what do you mean? i thought they were pretty firm about 10 spots max.

120 people for 90 spots. Normally they have 160 for 90 spots. Not sure how deep they usually go in their waitlist but in the event they can't fill the inprovince spots, I assume they would want to tap into the OOP pool. Just wishful thinking on my part. Not really backed by anything presented by the CoM

120 people for 90 spots. Normally they have 160 for 90 spots. Not sure how deep they usually go in their waitlist but in the event they can't fill the inprovince spots, I assume they would want to tap into the OOP pool. Just wishful thinking on my part. Not really backed by anything presented by the CoM

If this helps at all, at the post interview info session it was shared that for the last 8 years they have always gotten through the top 3rd of the waitlist, often a good portion through the middle third, and only one year reached a few people in the bottom third.

If this helps at all, at the post interview info session it was shared that for the last 8 years they have always gotten through the top 3rd of the waitlist, often a good portion through the middle third, and only one year reached a few people in the bottom third.

To be honest, this year, I suspect, the demographic will be so different that it will be hard to tell what will happen. Now that they require a degree, the applicants will probably have applied to multiple places so the results may differ from past years. I'm just exploring the different results as a way to pass time!

To be honest, this year, I suspect, the demographic will be so different that it will be hard to tell what will happen. Now that they require a degree, the applicants will probably have applied to multiple places so the results may differ from past years. I'm just exploring the different results as a way to pass time!

Yup. This year and next year will be very weird years for USask's numbers because of the change in requirements (degree this year, MCAT next year). Literally anything could happen and I wouldn't be surprised if they dipped a little deeper into the waitlists this year and next.

Anyone else stressing out the fact that 9 successful applicants were disqualified last year for academic and professional issue? That's a high number

I would've liked to learn about the specifics. The ambiguity around the topic is the only thing that worries me. Though, I agree with the above poster that most applicants need not worry.

Archived