Premed 101 Forums

2015 Countdown

mine was a guy as well. haha maybe it was the same guy. younger looking? maybe a current med student?

Younger, yes. Pretty sure I saw him wearing a name tag with the title Dr, but I may just be making stuff up at this point :P

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that as the personality of the interviewer. I took part in MMIs in the past and a lot of it really just depended on the interviewers. You can standardize answers and such, but its really tough to standardize the interviewee experience because interviewers are humans (each with their own personalities). I remember being the part of the standardization team for a year and every interviewer had their own thing. Even though they are expressly told not to do certain things like smile etc, they will still go ahead and do it. The following years, the faculty decided not to bother with those instructions because the scores actually didn't change by a significant margin (i.e. the standardizer and interviewer score was more or less the same). The only real instructions were to try and standardize the way applicants were marked i.e. the expectations should be close to the same between interviewers at each station.

Considering the admin's comments before the interview, and my conversations with other applicants after it, it seems as though interviewers were given instructions on their attitudes and followed them. But who knows. 

what do you mean? your interviewer pulled out his/her cellphone during the interview? did you report that to the adcom? i had an interviewer at uofc completely ignore me and play with paperclips under the desk until i paused and looked at him. probably should have said something to admissions but it's too late :/

Yeah I don't think interviewers are allowed to use cellphones during the interviews. The thing at u of c almost sounds like part of the interview on purpose but who knows? They also could've just been pretty bored.

I was surprised to find that almost every single interviewer at my stations was friendly and somewhat conversational. Only one person seemed kind of serious and not very conversational but I think that was just hher personality or the way she wanted to present herself. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't a lot of feedback while I was talking body-language wise

Yeah I don't think interviewers are allowed to use cellphones during the interviews. The thing at u of c almost sounds like part of the interview on purpose but who knows? They also could've just been pretty bored.

I was surprised to find that almost every single interviewer at my stations was friendly and somewhat conversational. Only one person seemed kind of serious and not very conversational but I think that was just hher personality or the way she wanted to present herself. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't a lot of feedback while I was talking body-language wise

i asked a few people about that. one that was on the admissions committee previous years and one that was an interviewer for a different section. they both said it was probably just the person and not part of the station. looking back i think i could have handled that much better than just pausing. probably came off as rude and that might have affected my evaluation. but i was pretty thrown off. other interviewees said they didn't notice that at any of their stations.

i asked a few people about that. one that was on the admissions committee previous years and one that was an interviewer for a different section. they both said it was probably just the person and not part of the station. looking back i think i could have handled that much better than just pausing. probably came off as rude and that might have affected my evaluation. but i was pretty thrown off. other interviewees said they didn't notice that at any of their stations.

On the flipside, when you paused and they realised they were being rude... maybe they felt embarrassed (as they should have!) and gave you a good mark because they felt bad ;). I don't think it's wrong to pause and check in that you're connecting with your audience, that seems pretty normal to me. No sense continuing talking to a brick wall!

i don't want to be *that* applicant that calls and asks haha. someone want to do it for me ? :D hopefully in 1 week time!

Yeeeeahh me neither. Like other people have mentioned, right now their #1 priority is the probation review on May 10-12 so I can't imagine them going out early this year or anything. But hopefully definitely by next friday becuase, like I said, it's really cruel to make us wait the whole long weekend!

Edit: Only 7 more days of waiting left! :) Hope this week goes quickly I'm mainly looking forward to maxin and relaxin on the deck at the cabin on may long!

mhmm i kind of want to gauge the landscape this year for OOP. if you don't mind, could you like this post if you are OOP and intend to accept to sask (regardless of saskatoon or regina) if you are offered a seat (as in you will not be accepting other schools either due to rejection or because sask is your top pick)? you can count me as accepting if given an offer. reply if you're waiting on another school but will take sask if you don't make it in to the other one.

edit: wow already 4 people within a few hours. i guess it won't be like previous years. especially considering not everyone that applied visits premed101. keep the responses coming!

edit: +1 more via pm bringing the total to 5.

edit: 7 now.

mhmm i kind of want to gauge the landscape this year for OOP. if you don't mind, could you like this post if you are OOP and intend to accept to sask (regardless of saskatoon or regina) if you are offered a seat (as in you will not be accepting other schools either due to rejection or because sask is your top pick)? you can count me as accepting if given an offer. reply if you're waiting on another school but will take sask if you don't make it in to the other one.

edit: wow already 4 people within a few hours. i guess it won't be like previous years. especially considering not everyone that applied visits premed101. keep the responses coming!

Sask would be tied for third for me (haven't really given much thought at this point to UofM vs UofS), behind my two ON schools. 

For those of you fellas waiting for Friday, good luck.

I know what it was like last year and the odds are quite in your favour this year so whatever happens on the 15th have hope! 

The U of S program has taken some slag over the last few years with accreditation issues and what not but this will all be in the rearview mirror relatively soon. The new curriculum is great and will be updated for next year after our class's feedback. We are one of only a few schools across Canada that integrate ultrasound learning into the program which is pretty cool. I won't go on about the program as you'll find out for yourselves. 

We also had an incredible match for the graduating class this year. It's a great time to be a med student at the U of S. 

Best of luck and get ready for initiation ;)

edit: +1 more via pm bringing the total to 5.

To make you guys feel better I will be withdrawing regardless of what happens on Friday :)

I am OOP

To make you guys feel better I will be withdrawing regardless of what happens on Friday :)

I am OOP

It actually makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

I'm trying to engrave this experience in my mind. If I don't get in this time around, I want to know exactly how everything felt for future cycles.

BTW, they usually release results mid day Sask time.

It actually makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

I'm trying to engrave this experience in my mind. If I don't get in this time around, I want to know exactly how everything felt for future cycles.

BTW, they usually release results mid day Sask time.

It's actually a great thing to do (in a positive way of course, don't be too hard on yourself :P). I got rejected last year and during interview prep the memory kept me going and while waiting this year I was a lot more calm (and got a lot more sleep)

It's actually a great thing to do (in a positive way of course, don't be too hard on yourself :P). I got rejected last year and during interview prep the memory kept me going and while waiting this year I was a lot more calm (and got a lot more sleep)

Thankfully stressful situations don't affect my sleep. My main problem is the incessant checking of forums, emails etc even though nothing will come out of it. I also tend to go through all the possible scenarios repeatedly to have a plan for everything.

PS. Congrats on Queens! Are you going to stay with Queens or go for UBC if they take you off waitlist?

Thankfully stressful situations don't affect my sleep. My main problem is the incessant checking of forums, emails etc even though nothing will come out of it. I also tend to go through all the possible scenarios repeatedly to have a plan for everything.

PS. Congrats on Queens! Are you going to stay with Queens or go for UBC if they take you off waitlist?

Congratulations!!! :D  :D  :D  :cool:  :cool:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks! I'm planning to stay with Queen's as it is my top choice

Archived