Premed 101 Forums

April 20Th- Impact On Other Schools?

So I am not so sure how this works, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

I am super excited (and petrified) about the date change, and I was hoping to pick some of the awesome brains here! 

From what I know previously, for schools who give out offers EARLIER than May 15th, once you accept that schools offer, you are not pulled off the list for other schools automatically. If you get accepted at another school, it is okay and you can withdraw from the 1st one. If you are waitlisted at another school and eventually become accepted, and then withdraw from the 1st school that is also okay. 

For schools with the SAME release date, once you accept one you are pulled off the list for all others, effectively accepting the 1st school. 

UofC is my currently tied for 1st with an Ontario school for me (they have a research program I am interested in!) which will be releasing offers May 15th. If I happen to get into UofC and on the waitlist to the Ontario school, when I accept UofC (theoretically and wishfully!) would I be pulled off the waitlist for the second school like normally done for school with the SAME date or would I continue to be on the waitlist until I am either accepted or rejected from the Ontario school like those with DIFFERENT dates?

I apologize if this is confusing or convoluted, but if anyone has advice on this that would be great! :) This might also be a question to ask admissions as this year is an unusual circumstance. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

I do not think all the schools in different provinces have your record of application. So essentially, your application to U Calgary will not be revealed to any school in Ontario.

The automatic withdrawal from a school when you accept the other one only applies to Ontario schools, since we all use the same system (OMSAS). Therefore, as you accept an offer from a school in Ontario, you will be automatically withdrawn from the list of other Ontario schools.

My friend told me that when she got accepted last year outside of Ontario and they told her other schools for her which is why I was confused

Stack444, neither do I! lol

On Dal's acceptance letter, it said we have 48 hours to make a decision between two acceptance offers because admissions results are shared by all Canadian medical schools. You won't be pulled off a waitlist of one school if you accept the offer of another school, but you will have to pay the initial deposit for accepting the first school and sacrifice the money if you ended up getting off the waitlist of the other school and choosing that school instead.

I do not think all the schools in different provinces have your record of application. So essentially, your application to U Calgary will not be revealed to any school in Ontario.

The automatic withdrawal from a school when you accept the other one only applies to Ontario schools, since we all use the same system (OMSAS). Therefore, as you accept an offer from a school in Ontario, you will be automatically withdrawn from the list of other Ontario schools.

Thats interesting, I didn't know Ontario schools did this.

What happens if you're accepted to your 2nd choice, but waitlisted at your first choice? Essentially you are then committed to your first choice? 

That's nutty..

Ex. Person 1 is accepted to school A(2nd choice), but waitlisted at school B(1st choice).

Person 2 is accepted to school B(2nd choice), but waitlisted at school A(1st choice).

So they both accept their offer, because who would turn down a gaurantee and both end up at their 2nd choice.

That seems a bit illogical?  But perhaps enough people with 2+ outright acceptances, will cause enough movement to ensure person 1 and 2 more likely than not, get into their #1 choices.

so with Dal, they always release offers earlier so that makes sense, but with Calgary this year who normally does not, does accepting mean an automatic withdrawal from the list? The million dollar question lol. I think admissions should be able to tell us? Or maybe that goes out in offers?

so with Dal, they always release offers earlier so that makes sense, but with Calgary this year who normally does not, does accepting mean an automatic withdrawal from the list? The million dollar question lol. I think admissions should be able to tell us? Or maybe that goes out in offers?

Come to think of it, I know someone who was accepted to an Alberta school and waitlisted for an Ontario school last year. They were allowed to stay on the waitlist for the Ontario school while accepted at the Alberta school. So no, I really don't think it means an automatic withdrawal.

You can remain on waitlist(s) after accepting an offer. What you can't do is accept two offers. If you're offered a position at a second school from a waitlist you have to decide right away to take it or not.

SO in Gohan's example: let's assume person 1 gets off the waitlist and is given an offer. I think they would have to immediately (24hrs? 48hrs?) decide whether to take the new offer and give up the 1st, or they can just stay with the 1st school.

You can remain on waitlist(s) after accepting an offer. What you can't do is accept two offers. If you're offered a position at a second school from a waitlist you have to decide right away to take it or not.

SO in Gohan's example: let's assume person 1 gets off the waitlist and is given an offer. I think they would have to immediately (24hrs? 48hrs?) decide whether to take the new offer and give up the 1st, or they can just stay with the 1st school.

^ That's exactly what I meant (and it's 48 hr to decide based on what Dal said about all Canadian schools).

On Dal's acceptance letter, it said we have 48 hours to make a decision between two acceptance offers because admissions results are shared by all Canadian medical schools. You won't be pulled off a waitlist of one school if you accept the offer of another school, but you will have to pay the initial deposit for accepting the first school and sacrifice the money if you ended up getting off the waitlist of the other school and choosing that school instead.

The way I interpreted Dal's letter was that we have 48 hours after you accept an offer from another school to let Dal know. As in, the 48 hours is counted from the time you tell another school you'll accept their offer, not from the time another school "accepts" you. I didn't interpret it as "if another school offers to accept you, you have 48 hours to tell us your decision".

I may have read it wrong though?

As far as I know,

- if you accept any of your Ontario offers, you will be automatically withdrawn from all other acceptance/waitlist offers from other Ontario schools

- if you accept any other offers (UBC, Calgary, etc) you can remain on the waitlist for your Ontario schools but you need to start paying the deposit (around $1000) 

- if you accept Ontario offer but want to remain on waitlist for OOP schools, again, you can remain on the waitlist but you still have to pay the non-refundable deposits .

In other words, if you get acceptance from one school but get waitlisted from your top choice, to be safe, you have to accept the offer, pay the deposit (and continue paying) until you hear from the other school.

I don't think there are any other possibilities so yeah... 

I was under the impression that barring Ontario schools (because of their shared OMSAS system that automatically pulls you from waitlists), you would be able to theoretically accept all the offers you receive (provided you pay the deposits for all in full), if you feel you need to.

Practically, this makes sense to me, as I don't believe there is an internal medical system like OMSAS that all schools have access to. If they wanted to share information, they would have to send individual names that each school would then have to cross check -- which seems like a pointless waste of time imo.

Ex. Person 1 is accepted to school A(2nd choice), but waitlisted at school B(1st choice).

Person 2 is accepted to school B(2nd choice), but waitlisted at school A(1st choice).

So they both accept their offer, because who would turn down a gaurantee and both end up at their 2nd choice.

That seems a bit illogical?  But perhaps enough people with 2+ outright acceptances, will cause enough movement to ensure person 1 and 2 more likely than not, get into their #1 choices.

That's correct, if Person 1 is accepted to school A but wants B, they will have to wait till the deadline to accept in the hopes that B will do a second round of invites. If they do not, then they will have to accept school A. Last year, there were a few people in that situation, and a bit of grumbling in the forums if I recall. rmorelan mentioned that a system similar to residency matching is in the works to try to solve this issue, but its still a few years away.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone verify if the below is true?? Very curious!

- if you accept any of your Ontario offers, you will be automatically withdrawn from all other acceptance/waitlist offers from other Ontario schools

- if you accept any other offers (UBC, Calgary, etc) you can remain on the waitlist for your Ontario schools but you need to start paying the deposit (around $1000) 

- if you accept Ontario offer but want to remain on waitlist for OOP schools, again, you can remain on the waitlist but you still have to pay the non-refundable deposits .

Can anyone verify if the below is true?? Very curious!

- if you accept any of your Ontario offers, you will be automatically withdrawn from all other acceptance/waitlist offers from other Ontario schools

- if you accept any other offers (UBC, Calgary, etc) you can remain on the waitlist for your Ontario schools but you need to start paying the deposit (around $1000)

- if you accept Ontario offer but want to remain on waitlist for OOP schools, again, you can remain on the waitlist but you still have to pay the non-refundable deposits .

Sounds right to me.

Archived