Premed 101 Forums

Unorthodox Route Into Pt/ot?

Hey everyone, I hope it is appropriate for me to make a topic on here.

Basically I happened to stumble across the admission requirements, and realized I may actually have a chance of getting in, due to the relative lack of prereqs.

PT/OT is something I would have always considered, but I didnt go into science out of high school, because I didnt think I would have had a shot at getting in.  As such, I spent the last four years doing a business degree.  Basically i've managed to muster a very solid GPA the last couple years.  In order to get into PT at most places, I would likely need to take a couple prereqs, but this **hypothetically** shouldn't be a huge issue.

So my questions are as follows:
1)   If I do go this route would I be looked at unfavorably on admissions because of my degree?
2)   Would I be at a disadvantage when I get in?

3)  How many years out of my degree can I apply with my undergrad marks?  Like if I make a career change 10 years from now, would my undergrad marks matter?
4)  Am I crazy? Does anyone know anyone who went into this from a non-science degree?

Hey there!

I'm an applicant this year for the OT program, so I'm not an expert but I can offer my opinion.

1) I don't think you'll be regarded unfavourably by the admissions committee for having a non-science based background. When the school's say they're looking for students from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, I really think they mean it. Current trends in healthcare are shifting to a more holistic view of the person, so it only makes sense that healthcare practitioners are well rounded people as well. Your particular background actually sounds fantastic if you frame it as wanting to run your own physiotherapy practice eventually by using the leadership skills that you gained from your undergrad in combination with the practical physio knowledge you'll gain from your grad degree. I think the biggest issue would be (presumably) your lack of volunteer experience. You would be a stronger applicant if you take a year or two to volunteer extensively with physiotherapists with as many varied populations as possible. You'll need strong reference letters from them, so try and stick with one physio for as long as possible.

2) I think some of the courses (anatomy, physiology) would be easier if you've already done this in undergrad. But if not, you can always brush up on that info the summer before/ while you're getting your pre-reqs in order. You can also get help from your profs, which is a good start to building professional relationships in the field.

3) I believe your undergrad marks will always be looked at regardless of how many years have passed since your application, but they'll be a more relevant indicator of your success at the graduate level if it's within the last 5 years. If you switch careers after a long period of time, I think it would be wise to take something like the GRE to confirm that you can keep up with the level of study that's required.

4) You're not crazy! I think it makes sense for someone to figure out what they want to do after a period of trying something and discovering that it's NOT what they want to do. Just show a logical progression and you'll be fine. I'm coming from a non-science degree, but OT is a little different than PT.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend was a art major at York (literally drawing type of art) and got into medical school last year. It's not uncommon at all to hear things like this..

to be honest, even through my experiences of going through the application/interview process, i wonder if they even looked at individuals majors. they check the prereqs and the GPA and I dont think they have time to filter through and focus on people with science/phys ed/Kine degrees..

I wouldn't worry. Just get those high marks in the prereqs they require and you'll be fine!

There are a few people in my Mac PT class who did not take science or kin as their undergraduate degree. Some of my classmates have come from programs like psychology, math/finance, physiology/pharmacology, and a few others. I had tutor in the fall unit that came from a art/music background before she started her PT degree. It is very doable and happens all the time. Never give up on your dream!

Archived