Premed 101 Forums

Does The Testing Centre You Write Really Matter?

PeterPatting

YES. The place I wrote at was an absolute mess. They had all the people in my room start the test at different times so everyone was getting up and shifting around throughout. They'd bring new people in while others were writing and talk to them, etc. It's the worst when you have to choose between reading your passage and giving someone the *STFU* look. People got up and left during the breaks, all of which were at different times so there were constantly people moving in and out of the room, chairs creaking etc. Luckily I don't get distracted much by things like that because I'm used to studying in my living room, but that could've been such a pain for other people. 

Sketchiest place ever, obviously a cash cow for the people that own the place. MCAT should really regulate these places... 

YES. The place I wrote at was an absolute mess. They had all the people in my room start the test at different times so everyone was getting up and shifting around throughout. They'd bring new people in while others were writing and talk to them, etc. It's the worst when you have to choose between reading your passage and giving someone the *STFU* look. People got up and left during the breaks, all of which were at different times so there were constantly people moving in and out of the room, chairs creaking etc. Luckily I don't get distracted much by things like that because I'm used to studying in my living room, but that could've been such a pain for other people. 

Sketchiest place ever, obviously a cash cow for the people that own the place. MCAT should really regulate these places... 

Hey MeGusta,

Would you mind sharing which testing centre you wrote at? I know you're a Yorkie (from lurking the Yorkies thread sometimes lmao) and I actually live in Toronto as well, so I'd like to know which places to avoid. I've searched on the forums and it seems the Bloor east/west locations are fine, but I feel like I might get distracted by the sound of dense downtown traffic outside. Have you heard anything about the Gibbs Rd location? It is closer to my house, but I'm afraid it might be sketchy 

Hey MeGusta,

Would you mind sharing which testing centre you wrote at? I know you're a Yorkie (from lurking the Yorkies thread sometimes lmao) and I actually live in Toronto as well, so I'd like to know which places to avoid. I've searched on the forums and it seems the Bloor east/west locations are fine, but I feel like I might get distracted by the sound of dense downtown traffic outside. Have you heard anything about the Gibbs Rd location? It is closer to my house, but I'm afraid it might be sketchy 

It was the one near fairview mall, I haven't really heard of any other places 

Uhh.... I think that's how the MCAT works? People start at different times (because of the way the security works) and therefore have breaks at different times.  I think that's pretty normal. 

Uhh.... I think that's how the MCAT works? People start at different times (because of the way the security works) and therefore have breaks at different times.  I think that's pretty normal. 

Haha no way!! At every MCAT place people in the same room will start writing their test +/- 30 mins of the time they signed up for? 

Haha no way!! At every MCAT place people in the same room will start writing their test +/- 30 mins of the time they signed up for?

Yup! Didn't really bother me. Ear plugs! And if you're really sensitive you can wear the earphones they give you on top of that.

The way it is set up now, people get scanned in one by one. You have to do fingerprints  (on a computer that takes like 10 attempts before it works...this was my biggest feedback) and metal detection and all this stuff. So if you are the first person to go in and sit down, expect the door to open and close and people to be walking around for the next 15+ min while everyone signs in. May not bother you, but at my center in some old building the floors would shake whenever someone walked across. My tip -> hangout outside, have a snack, go to the bathroom and go inside last. That way you are about 15-20min behind some people and hopefully will also miss a big rush at break...worst feeling is knowing you have 10 min to exit and then you are standing there and can't go to the bathroom because someone is fumbling with the fingerprint machine forever in front of you. Also have your snacks ready in your bag so you can grab them easily.

Yup, they stagger the start times to minimize the possibility of cheating and to try to make the start as efficient as possible (i.e. as soon as someone is ready, they can start their exam).

Lol the first time I wrote my MCAT there was a little dog running around the testing center for about twenty minutes. Wasn't too distracting. Back when you had to do the writing sample I found that irritating because there was so much typing noise. Testing center should not matter at all unless its something very random like my first time

didn't work that way for me. Not usually to be in a place with some what variable start times.

In general it is a lot better now with the online version (trust me the paper version was much worse), but you aren't going to be assured of a completely distraction free experience unfortunately. I never really like the headphones you get but they do help with it I suppose. 

I wrote the online version at Metrotown in Summer 2013. We did have to go through the security process but the test started at the same time for everyone once they were settled. It was a nice, quite place. The only audible sound was the construction machines a mile away.

Like its been said before, the testing center is only going to be significant because of the environment it provides. 

Omg, I did my MCAT there and during the verbal reasoning section, the computer power went off and i wasnt compensated for it. AVOID AT ALL COSTSS!!!

:( that's awful. Did you do it on july 26, 2013? If so you might've been the poor guy that was sitting next to me, his computer shut down too! 

Omg, I did my MCAT there and during the verbal reasoning section, the computer power went off and i wasnt compensated for it. AVOID AT ALL COSTSS!!!

ahhh that is just wrong. Not sure how that didn't get something done about with the MCAT people - what did they say? (not the testing centre - did anyone complain directly to the AAMC)

Yup, they stagger the start times to minimize the possibility of cheating and to try to make the start as efficient as possible (i.e. as soon as someone is ready, they can start their exam).

I don't understand, doesn't everyone do their MCAT sections in the same order? How would people be able to cheat if everyone went on break at the same time? 

they don't all start at the same time, they don't all go on break at the same time.

On my test for instance when I was going on break others had already started the writing section (back when we had that). It was staggered but not so much that two people would be on break at the same time when one of them completed a section the other hadn't done yet, but it was staggered.

Guys which center is near Fairview mall?

Pls don't tell me it's Gibbs Rd. (Queen's Collegiate) b/c I signed up there :( 

PeterPatting, I too did lots of research but decided to stick with the one closest to my house to save time in the morning. When I signed up the Bloor locations were full, so that was another factor.

:( that's awful. Did you do it on july 26, 2013? If so you might've been the poor guy that was sitting next to me, his computer shut down too! 

lol no that was not me.... the location is near yorkland blvd or something like that. It was absolutely awful. Not only did I waste 2-3 minutes on my verbal time, I also have to accumulate emotional stress. They did not even compensate me for this! 

Archived