Premed 101 Forums

Q&a Forum Please?

Hello!

I know this is asking for a lot, but as they have on other schools' forums, are there any second/third/fourth year U of A students willing to start up a Q&A forum for the new incoming students? I know people like Harvey Specter and other current students are always so willing to help out! If I'm asking for too much and you guys are busy, please don't worry about it!

Hello!

I know this is asking for a lot, but as they have on other schools' forums, are there any second/third/fourth year U of A students willing to start up a Q&A forum for the new incoming students? I know people like Harvey Specter and other current students are always so willing to help out! If I'm asking for too much and you guys are busy, please don't worry about it!

if someone did we would most likely sticky it as well to the forum.

Hello!

Hey :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread or send me a PM. I'll try to log on a few times per week to help out if I can. Also I believe there is another thread called "accepted and have questions" that people have been asking questions in. 

Hope that helps!

Wow, thanks very much Recollections and Harvey Specter! Really appreciate it. 

I've just been looking up info on the curriculum, pre-clerkship, clerkship, and the general day in the life of a med student at the U of A. If you have the time, it'd be great to have some of these questions answered!

1) Is there a lot of studying outside of the classes? I've heard mixed responses on this.

2) Is it true that most days start at 8am? And go till late afternoon?

3) Obviously coming in as a first year, a lot of our thoughts are going to be to have fun at the beginning. I've also heard that I shouldn't be too lenient, however, if I want to go for a competitive specialty. I'm thinking pediatrics or surgery, so what kind of extra-curriculars and how much would I have to get involved in to stay competitive for those programs? 

4) What exactly does CaRMS look for MOST when judging applicants in matching them to specialities?

5) 167 other people in the class. Doesn't it tend to get clique-y? 

6) I know family medicine is the most common specialty (30-40%). Are there actually a lot of med students passionate about being a GP or is it often a fallback they tend to eventually settle for?

7) So all in all, is it really possible to maintain a social life, do well in med school, shadow, volunteer, and hang out with classmates? Seems like a tall order!

Thanks very much, and I'm so sorry for the torrent of questions!

6) I know family medicine is the most common specialty (30-40%). Are there actually a lot of med students passionate about being a GP or is it often a fallback they tend to eventually settle for?

I don't want to interfere with your questions to the med students but I can guarantee you, there is one psychotic pm101 user who is to be heading down the family med path in your class this year ;) 

That's awesome! doctaK, if you don't mind me asking, what are your biggest motivations in pursuing family medicine? I want to be as open-minded as possible going in (as much as I like to believe I'm going to be specializing). Thanks!

That's awesome! doctaK, if you don't mind me asking, what are your biggest motivations in pursuing family medicine? I want to be as open-minded as possible going in (as much as I like to believe I'm going to be specializing). Thanks!

Not only were there personal reasons within my family for idolizing our family doctor, but the main reasons are (1) lifestyle, (2) target populations and (3) my personality but not in that order. For lifestyle, I think it's beautiful. You are flexible with your hours and locations of work, you are able to live anywhere and get a job, going home with a moderate pay, getting time for family and friends and hobbies, and you can take FM whatever direction you enjoy (2+1 options, rural med, etc.) For target populations, which is my biggest reason for doing it, the people I want to focus my career on people who need family physicians more than anything else because of continued care, being at the frontline of medicine, and being most involved in social aspects of health. These populations being immigrants/refugees, inner-city and homelessness, Aboriginal communities, rural areas, and developing countries. I knew that if med never worked out, I'd do public health and social work because my focus is to provide care where needed most. Finally, for my personality, I am extremely introverted and take the jack-of-all-trades mentality in life. Being introverted doesn't mean you don't like or can't handle social situations, but I enjoy being able to work with and get to know patients with the one-on-ones but also over a longer period of time. I love the thought of being able to work with womb-to-tomb patients and especially when an entire family (and extended family) are all my patients so I get a broad understanding of their life at home. I also am someone that does not want to be too focused in my career so doing FM will allow me to see a variety of issues, work with people of many backgrounds, and know that it is a bit of a rush that the next patient could be completely different from my last. My biggest thing is social determinants of health so I want to be in a position where I can ensure I am skilled in clinical work, but not losing sight that socio-economic and cultural barriers exist that the FMs can key players in helping their patients overcome. 

Some people say that FM doesn't make enough money after years of school or that the prestige doesn't exist within the field or that it's not as exciting as treating life-threatening illnesses via surgery. I think that my reasons are perfect for me (and probably more people). I grew up with little money so going home with 100-120K a year is a blessing. Prestige isn't worth it because I feel like I'm contributing a lot to the community and that everyone needs a family doc in their lives, but not everyone will need a neurologist or a surgeon or an oncologist. Not to downplay them, but I just enjoy FM more because it's preventative and deals with deeper issues than clinical cases. 

Hopefully I've converted another person to the generalist side and if not, we'll still be great colleagues. But based on what I've said, I have no doubt that you and other people on this forum will recognize me or find out who I am right away :) might even make 'doctaK' my jersey name so all the pm101ers can be shocked!

You really seem like you know what you want to do, doctaK! The reasons you listed are definitely everything that FM residencies are looking for. I think that most go into med school looking to gain perspective on what their speciality should be, but knowing in advance and building on that during your 4 years of U of A will be more than beneficial to both your classmates that can feed off of your passion and to yourself. My interests and personality don't completely line up perfectly with yours, and so FM might not end up being my calling in 4 years from now. But your post definitely help me see the underlying and the appropriate reasons to pursuing a career as a GP, and will help me to be to be more open-minded towards it when doing our clerkship. Thanks!

Hey aanon!

To answer your questions:

1) Is there a lot of studying outside of the classes? I've heard mixed responses on this.

It depends on the person and their level of motivation. Some take the pass/fail system to heart and study just enough to pass exams, while others are geared to stay on top of things and study hard throughout the year. In general there's a fair amount of studying outside of lecture, just like in undergrad and any other professional program. You won't find anyone in the program who gets by without putting an honest effort into academics - the type of people who get into med and the sheer volume of lecture content make that pretty unlikely.

2) Is it true that most days start at 8am? And go till late afternoon?

Not entirely true. There are some weeks with 8am starts straight from Mon-Fri, and some weeks where you have one or two days with 8am starts. There are also lots of mandatory commitments sprinkled in, but most of your regularly scheduled days will look like this (frequency in brackets):

8am - 3pm (common)

10am - 5pm (common)

8am - 12pm (uncommon)

1pm - 5pm (uncommon)

8am - 5pm (rare)

3) Obviously coming in as a first year, a lot of our thoughts are going to be to have fun at the beginning. I've also heard that I shouldn't be too lenient, however, if I want to go for a competitive specialty. I'm thinking pediatrics or surgery, so what kind of extra-curriculars and how much would I have to get involved in to stay competitive for those programs? 

I can't speak from experience, but from what I've heard most of the emphasis for the CaRMS match is on your clerkship rotation evaluations, reference letters, how you come across in your interview, and to a lesser extent, research. Extracurriculars tend to be more of a minor factor, so don't feel pressured to get involved in anything and everything relating to your preferred specialty. Bonus points if they're diverse or relevant, but by no means is it a deal breaker if you don't have them. Super-competitive specialties like derm, ophtho, etc. may be the exception. But of course I haven't been through the process myself, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

That said, there are a ton of excellent med student-run clubs and interest groups here if you didn't have enough of that in undergrad. Almost everyone in our class is involved in one way or another  :P

4) What exactly does CaRMS look for MOST when judging applicants in matching them to specialties?

Looks like I jumped the gun here! See above.

5) 167 other people in the class. Doesn't it tend to get clique-y? 

It happens in every class. It's inevitable that people will start to segregate into different friend circles and groups, but it's not nearly as bad as you'd think. Our class is incredibly diverse and from what I've seen, people get along well and will mesh outside of their "cliques" if the opportunities arise. We have so many different small group sessions throughout the year that you end up getting to know half your class without even trying  :)

I'm not personally interested in family med, but most of my classmates who are looking at it are truly interested and passionate about the field. Some people will inevitably use it as a backup, but the UofA does a great job of selling family medicine to us starting on Day 1. That's reflected in our 2015 match rates (around 50% of our grads matched to FM). I don't know how many of those students used it as a backup though.

7) So all in all, is it really possible to maintain a social life, do well in med school, shadow, volunteer, and hang out with classmates? Seems like a tall order!

Yes! Whether or not you're willing to maintain a balanced med school life, I think everyone who got to this point has the ability to do so. Compared to undergrad, I would say that in first year med we had less stress and more free time to pursue the non-academic aspects of life. It's really up to you how balanced and well-rounded you want your first year to be. I hear second year and beyond is a different story...

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much for the detailed response, Recollections!!! Really appreciate it! Im gonna go digest this and probably come back with a batch of new questions in a couple days haha. I wouldn't mind hearing other's POV on these questions as well! 

And please, I'd love to hear other incomings' questions too :)

Recollections did a really great job of answering the questions. My take on a few of the things in a very brief manner:

1. Personally, the amount of time I spent studying in first year was way below that of undergrad (even first year of undergrad). Maybe it was due to the fact that I really enjoyed the "application" rather than "memorization" system of testing (and multiple choice helps too!). I haven't had to study over midnight during the whole school year and I've always been "done" studying for a test in the afternoon of the day before the test. I've managed to keep around our class average for most of the tests. In undergrad, I've spent many late nights/early mornings studying and stressing.

Now this varies from person to person, but I believe in the end the most important thing is the studying is not stressful! It's such a change to not have to worry about getting an A rather than an A-. 

2. no, it's not as terrible as your schedule looks. The schedule shows all the possible times you MAY have class. In reality, they're not all filled up and we get a lot of free time. 

3. I've also heard that CARMS is mostly about references. Either way I'm too lazy to be super keener and do a bunch of ECs. I laid back this whole year and did not do anything!  :lol:

4. See Recollections answer

5. It does get cliquey. I think our class has the reputation from some of the other years for being a bit more cliquey than most. In the end, everyone is really nice. I try to sit with different people every day and go around and talk with different people. No one will exclude you from their circles. 

6. Not really answering the question, but I came into med school adamant that I would never do family medicine. Now I'm open to the possibility of family med.

7. yeah bruh definitely  B)

Thanks Harvey! Appreciate it! The more questions that get answered, the more excited I get! 

Yeah I totally expect the class to get pretty cliquey, especially because you can't expect people to be completely different than they were in undergrad, and even adults are cliquey I guess. 

Did a trip to Mexico or anywhere else happen this past year? Because I'm definitely stoked on a class trip to an all-inclusive resort haha.

Btw, Harvey, you better not mess things up with Donna man she's a catch. I think the new season comes out June. 

I'm sure not many will be able to answer this question... I have a two year old, how are those with parents finding medical school? Do they still have time to participate in some activities?

Thanks so much for all the responses above, they have been very helpful!

Thanks Harvey! Appreciate it! The more questions that get answered, the more excited I get! 

Yeah I totally expect the class to get pretty cliquey, especially because you can't expect people to be completely different than they were in undergrad, and even adults are cliquey I guess. 

Did a trip to Mexico or anywhere else happen this past year? Because I'm definitely stoked on a class trip to an all-inclusive resort haha.

Btw, Harvey, you better not mess things up with Donna man she's a catch. I think the new season comes out June. 

Yes there's a trip every year. I did not go unfortunately. 

Also thanks! I love Donna <3

I'm sure not many will be able to answer this question... I have a two year old, how are those with parents finding medical school? Do they still have time to participate in some activities?

Thanks so much for all the responses above, they have been very helpful!

I can't relate, but we have quite a few people with kids in our class and some of them make it to social events and such. I'm sure it takes a lot more commitment than other people, but it's definitely doable. 

I recently came across a source that said pediatrics was becoming more and more competitive, and it recommended doing research. I'd honestly rather not do research at all since I've tried it and it's definitely not the summer I'd imagined in between my med school years. I do hold a great position as a coordinator at a kids' day camp, but I don't know how well this stacks up to research.

I recently came across a source that said pediatrics was becoming more and more competitive, and it recommended doing research. I'd honestly rather not do research at all since I've tried it and it's definitely not the summer I'd imagined in between my med school years. I do hold a great position as a coordinator at a kids' day camp, but I don't know how well this stacks up to research.

There are only a couple specialties where research is "required" to be competitive, and as far as I know pediatrics is not one of them. Can't say I've heard that peds is getting more competitive, but even if it is, you're not in a bad position at all. Most programs won't differentiate between research done in undergrad and research done in med school, so as long as you have some research experience in your lifetime, you're set.

Keep in mind that there are a few people every year who match to all sorts of specialties with zero research experience. If you don't want to spend another summer doing research, it shouldn't really affect your chances of matching to peds. Honestly this is a bit premature - you have the whole year to decide!

As I fully expected, my brain's generated a fresh new batch of questions..

And I expect some of you are wondering why I'm bothering jumping the gun here and not relaxing during the summer prior to beginning the journey and I ask you to forgive me, but my job doesn't start til June and I'm just too excited!!

1. For our schedule, I understand some small group sessions can either be mornings or afternoons (ex. Tues mornings or Fri afternoons). Do we get a choice between these two when making our Beartracks schedule?

2. What is orientation week like? A constant flow of events? Should I even expect to sleep (or to not be hungover haha :) )?

3. How do exam preparation skills and study methods change with medical school exams? In undergrad, I generally started revising notes weeks ahead, over and over, and started memorizing closer to the date of the exam. I've heard these tactics tend to change with the more clinical examination methods? 

4. How does the wide range of ages of the students affect the class dynamic? I'm only 20 and I expect most students to be older than me, so I'm wondering if the age gap is often evident, since I'm sure the age ranges from 19-28ish? 

5. Do most people have a sense of what speciality they wanna do coming in or is it usually pretty open-ended for most and changes a lot through the 4 years? 

6. Are the vodcasts effective enough so that lectures are actually skippable (whether it's for sleep or other commitments)?

7. Are there any new access privileges that medical/dental students get? Like lounges or programs or anything?

8. This is going way off topic but in a class of 160ish students, there're bound to be relationships (although I'm sure it's frowned upon and advised against). Is this common? 

Sorry to bother you guys again! Hopefully some of my questions are actually satisfying others' curiosity as well!

As I fully expected, my brain's generated a fresh new batch of questions..

And I expect some of you are wondering why I'm bothering jumping the gun here and not relaxing during the summer prior to beginning the journey and I ask you to forgive me, but my job doesn't start til June and I'm just too excited!!

1. For our schedule, I understand some small group sessions can either be mornings or afternoons (ex. Tues mornings or Fri afternoons). Do we get a choice between these two when making our Beartracks schedule?

Nope generally not. Although there may be a few sessions in which you can trade with a classmate if you have a good reason and inform the office.

2. What is orientation week like? A constant flow of events? Should I even expect to sleep (or to not be hungover haha :) )?

Fun! O-week is super awesome. It's a constant flow of introducing yourself to everyone. For me, I didn't know a single person in our class on the first day. Lots of team building events. Don't be stressed. Everything in O week is fun as heck. 

3. How do exam preparation skills and study methods change with medical school exams? In undergrad, I generally started revising notes weeks ahead, over and over, and started memorizing closer to the date of the exam. I've heard these tactics tend to change with the more clinical examination methods? 

Studying will always vary between people. Personally for me, I've always been the kind of person in undergrad to procrastinate and "study" less than I should have. I studied by understanding and memorization (trying to "see" my notes in my head). This worked for intro block final and triple I final. However, endo kicked my butt (and a lot of my classmates). After endo, I changed my way of studying into more of reading notes and doing practice questions and not procrastinating. I'm happy to say that for the last half of the year, I've always finished studying before 6pm of the day before the exams. Multiple choice is love; multiple choice is life 

4. How does the wide range of ages of the students affect the class dynamic? I'm only 20 and I expect most students to be older than me, so I'm wondering if the age gap is often evident, since I'm sure the age ranges from 19-28ish? 

I was 19 for half of first year. Yes, most people will be older but it doesn't matter. Everyone is very friendly. I think our class's age gap is like 19-38 haha. but maybe the 95% confidence interval would be more like 21-30. 

5. Do most people have a sense of what speciality they wanna do coming in or is it usually pretty open-ended for most and changes a lot through the 4 years? 

More people dont know what they wanna do than those that do. 

Some people have their minds made up.

A lot of people change their minds many times. 

6. Are the vodcasts effective enough so that lectures are actually skippable (whether it's for sleep or other commitments)?

Yes. By the end of the year, I'd say around 65% of our class actually showed up regularly for lectures. 

I go to lectures simply for the fact that if I skip them, I wouldn't have the motivation to watch them later  :mellow: 

7. Are there any new access privileges that medical/dental students get? Like lounges or programs or anything?

Med students get the fish bowl. Pretty sick place. Got pool table, foosball, ping pong, Wii U, piano, drums, etc. Good couches for sleeping. 

8. This is going way off topic but in a class of 160ish students, there're bound to be relationships (although I'm sure it's frowned upon and advised against). Is this common? 

Yes relationships do happen. They may even spark from some of the parties during O week...

Medcest is a thing. I don't know if it's necessarily frowned upon. Can't be worse than the Lannisters. 

Sorry to bother you guys again! Hopefully some of my questions are actually satisfying others' curiosity as well!

Archived