Premed 101 Forums

Gpa, Mcat Question

Hello

I am an Ontario resident and have started looking at OOP schools. I have two undergrad degrees and am confused as to how Saskatchewan med school will calculate my GPA - will it be entirely based on my second degree marks? I did an honours degree in 3 years for my second undergrad.

Also, for the MCAT, I found that they require a minimum of 30, I have a 31 with 10P,11V,10B. Should I apply with this MCAT? My GPA for my second undergrad comes to 86.4%.

Thank you

FutureDoctor 

They look at all your marks to calculate OOP GPA. All you need is 83. Once you meet the cut off, they don't look at your GPA again.

Additionally, I would say a minimum of 34 is required on the mcat. I would also wager a minimum of 36 will be required in a couple of years. They may interview extra OOPs for a year or two more while they wait for their IP students to catch up to their recent changes.

Grain of salt, but your mcat is much more suited for the Ontario schools (balanced).

Hello

I am an Ontario resident and have started looking at OOP schools. I have two undergrad degrees and am confused as to how Saskatchewan med school will calculate my GPA - will it be entirely based on my second degree marks? I did an honours degree in 3 years for my second undergrad.

Also, for the MCAT, I found that they require a minimum of 30, I have a 31 with 10P,11V,10B. Should I apply with this MCAT? My GPA for my second undergrad comes to 86.4%.

Thank you

FutureDoctor 

Hi FD, 

Unfortunately your MCAT is not strong enough for Saskatchewan. This year OOP applicants needed a 34 with a minimum VR11 to even get an interview! 

GPA is irrelevant for Sask in pre-interview evaluation as long as it is above 83% (Pre-interview formulae is 100% MCAT)

Your VR11 will be great for Mac and Calgary though. 

Thank you for clarifying. I will for sure apply to Ontario schools.

For Calgary, do they consider my best 2 years for GPA or is it cumulative overall 7 years of my undergrad work?

Hi FD, 

Unfortunately your MCAT is not strong enough for Saskatchewan. This year OOP applicants needed a 34 with a minimum VR11 to even get an interview! 

GPA is irrelevant for Sask in pre-interview evaluation as long as it is above 83% (Pre-interview formulae is 100% MCAT)

I'm pretty sure the Alberta schools only look at MCAT 2015 now, but don't quote me on it. 

Oh yeah, and the MCAT cutoffs for Saskatchewan have historically been as follows:

2014-2015: 34 VR 11

2013-2014: 36 VR 11

2012-2013: 35 

I think next year the cutoff will be similar to this year's. The cutoff dropped because Saskatchewan now requires a degree for matriculation (thus cutting the IP applicant pool, and they wanted to keep the same number of interviewed applicants so they invited more OOP).

• 1 month later...

Hi FD, 

I'm pretty sure the Alberta schools only look at MCAT 2015 now, but don't quote me on it. 

Oh yeah, and the MCAT cutoffs for Saskatchewan have historically been as follows:

2014-2015: 34 VR 11

2013-2014: 36 VR 11

2012-2013: 35 

I think next year the cutoff will be similar to this year's. The cutoff dropped because Saskatchewan now requires a degree for matriculation (thus cutting the IP applicant pool, and they wanted to keep the same number of interviewed applicants so they invited more OOP).

Hi guys, 

Do you mind sourcing this info. The only relevant link I found is the one below, which only presents the MCAT numbers for the classes admitted in 2013 and 2014 ( which I'm guessing is what you are referring to as 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, respectively?)

I'm really hoping my 12/11/12 will make the cut... 

PS: I don't think 11VR would help at Calgary since their website says the following: "Those applicants intending to apply to this medical school in 2015 or later should be aware that only the new 2015 MCAT will be accepted. This means that if you are applying in the fall of 2015 for the class beginning in 2016, you must write the new 2015 exam as we will not consider scores for exams written in 2014 or earlier."

Thanks. 

Hi guys,

Do you mind sourcing this info. The only relevant link I found is the one below, which only presents the MCAT numbers for the classes admitted in 2013 and 2014 ( which I'm guessing is what you are referring to as 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, respectively?)

I'm really hoping my 12/11/12 will make the cut...

PS: I don't think 11VR would help at Calgary since their website says the following: "Those applicants intending to apply to this medical school in 2015 or later should be aware that only the new 2015 MCAT will be accepted. This means that if you are applying in the fall of 2015 for the class beginning in 2016, you must write the new 2015 exam as we will not consider scores for exams written in 2014 or earlier."

Thanks.

The source for this years numbers is the email sent for interview invites. This year and possibly next year the mcat cumulative should be lower due to all the changes in the admissions process.

The source for this years numbers is the email sent for interview invites. This year and possibly next year the mcat cumulative should be lower due to all the changes in the admissions process.

Yeah, it makes sense that you got the info in the interview invite email because it doesn't seem to be available elsewhere.

I had previously found and reviewed this link but it only presents numbers for the class that entered in 2014 and before which is why I had asked where the stats for the class entering in 2015 came from. 

Yeah, it makes sense that you got the info in the interview invite email because it doesn't seem to be available elsewhere.

I had previously found and reviewed this link but it only presents numbers for the class that entered in 2014 and before which is why I had asked where the stats for the class entering in 2015 came from. 

The MCAT cutoffs were emailed to rejected candidates. The new stats from 2015 will be posted in October.

LOL, isn't that when applications are due? So new applicants technically wouldn't know the most recent stats until they apply? Sneaky, sneaky

Yup. The cutoffs change every year to reflect the applicant pool so we won't know them until all the applications are submitted. Same deal with Western's MCAT cutoff.

LOL, isn't that when applications are due? So new applicants technically wouldn't know the most recent stats until they apply? Sneaky, sneaky

The term cutoff is a misnomer in this context. Its more of a 'where do you fair against your competition.' I think the only 'cutoff' Sask has is people need to be a total of 30. If you are under 30, your file is rejected and this is true of a lot of schools. Beyond that, they will just rank you and they know that they will want to interview X amount of people. In theory all they need to do is copy all the applicants (OOP) with their MCAT scores (who have the other hard pre-reqs like average of 83% and a degree/last year of degree) into an excel file and sort highest to lowest. You get an interview invite based on those rankings.

This being a volatile time within the admissions department, I would wager that knowing the stats of previous years wouldn't really give  you much information. As I stated earlier, with the changes to the admissions process the school had to interview a greater number of OOP than previous years (~3x more interviews for OOP) to offset the reduction in IP applications. Next year, while I think the MCAT 'cutoffs' will be close to where they were this year, I don't think they will be 34v11. I can imagine something in the 35s, but we shall see what happens.

My advice to any student is apply to any school which recently (~1-3 years) changed their admissions criteria. You never know how the smallest things will impact the admissions statistics and, in my case, I'd rather spend the application fee than to regret missing out on an opportunity.

Archived