Premed 101 Forums

Applicant Manual For The 2015-2016 Cycle Has Been Posted!

It says people that "demonstrate an exceptional ability to assist the Cumming School of Medicine in meeting its social accountability mission" can be offered admission even if these individuals do not meet the cutoff score for admission.

We already have an admissions process where 60% of the scoring system is based on non-cognitive attributes. What section 5.4 is essentially saying is that if the admissions committee gets hard enough over something you did, you can get admission...even if there is a more qualified applicant. It's taking a seat away from somebody who deserves it more.

I'll be interested in reading Dr. Walkers thought process about adding this in the inevitable blog post about this topic.

Just not sure what would be defined as a "more qualified applicant'? and how do you define "somebody who deserves it more"? it takes all kinds to become a doctor so why should there not be a different way for some of these applicants to have a shot? perhaps this school has figured out for them who they feel they would like to admit to medicine to serve their population.  The best doctors are not always the ones with the highest cognitive attributes as noted with their high GPA and MCAT score. If a person doesn't like a school's admission policy, they are not compelled to apply to that school. 

• 1 month later...

Ok I haven't read that section of the manual but my first glance of the quoted part (on page 1) (and only read all comments on pg 1 only) conjured up thoughts that maybe they meant they want applicants who can assist them in meeting social obligations to society... as in, candidates who'll be socially conscious?

Haha by the looks of it I misread that I think. :)

Archived