Premed 101 Forums

Living Alone, Or Roommates?

I was wondering about what everyone is planning on doing for the first year. I think I would prefer having a roommate or two because it's a way to make friends and not be as lonely, and to be completely honest, I'm afraid of missing out. But if a lot of other people are planning on living alone, I guess that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Does anyone have any input on what people tend to do, especially for first year?

(Not going to McMaster, but I saw your post on the first page, and since I've lived with roommates since I was 16, I figured I could add my two cents)

It really depends on your personality and whether you've already lived in an apartment before. Roommates can be fun, but you will want to have your quiet time to study. Being alone can be fun (especially since you have the freedom to bring anyone whenever you want), but it can get lonely, especially considering that you'll have to be in a books for a good portion of your life.

People tend to live with more than one roommate in their first year, but since you'll be starting med school (aka you can't party all the time), I would suggest you to find only one roommate. And a QUIET roommate. Try to find someone who takes his/her studies seriously, so that you'll be able to study in peace. Trust me, when you've been sitting at your desk all morning, it's nice to get out of the room and have someone to talk with. Also, it tends to be a bit cheaper to live with someone else.

But then again, your priority will be to be comfortable in your own space. If the idea of having a roommate doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. You'll meet plenty of people in med school anyway.

(Not going to McMaster, but I saw your post on the first page, and since I've lived with roommates since I was 16, I figured I could add my two cents)

It really depends on your personality and whether you've already lived in an apartment before. Roommates can be fun, but you will want to have your quiet time to study. Being alone can be fun (especially since you have the freedom to bring anyone whenever you want), but it can get lonely, especially considering that you'll have to be in a books for a good portion of your life.

People tend to live with more than one roommate in their first year, but since you'll be starting med school (aka you can't party all the time), I would suggest you to find only one roommate. And a QUIET roommate. Try to find someone who takes his/her studies seriously, so that you'll be able to study in peace. Trust me, when you've been sitting at your desk all morning, it's nice to get out of the room and have someone to talk with. Also, it tends to be a bit cheaper to live with someone else.

But then again, your priority will be to be comfortable in your own space. If the idea of having a roommate doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. You'll meet plenty of people in med school anyway.

Totally agree with this.

From my experience (not at mac but I imagine can be applied to other med schools), about half-ish the people who started med school without a roomate got one in 2nd year or clerkship when they met a classmate they got along with and to help reduce living expenses. If you want a roommate, go for it. If it's not your thing, you can always move after 1st year and get your own place. Just make sure you talk to/skype/detailed email prospective roommates to check that you're on the same page about issues like parties, studying, general level of tidiness, etc.

Archived