Premed 101 Forums

Orthopaedic Surgery - Is It Oversaturated?

I really love the idea of ortho. I'm just worried that it may become way too saturated. There are lots of young ortho surgeons where I've worked / volunteered. I also know a couple of residents who are fearful for the lack of secure jobs (one recent grad works only casual shifts and basically does manual therapy like a chiro or physical therapist on his "free" time...ie. time when he can't secure OR). I've read stats that many orthos are unemployed. How true is this? Do people have full-time jobs once they graduate? How do you keep up your skills if you operate on a casual basis?? (are you even allowed to operate on a casual basis? from a competency and legal point of view)

I really love the idea of ortho. I'm just worried that it may become way too saturated. There are lots of young ortho surgeons where I've worked / volunteered. I also know a couple of residents who are fearful for the lack of secure jobs (one recent grad works only casual shifts and basically does manual therapy like a chiro or physical therapist on his "free" time...ie. time when he can't secure OR). I've read stats that many orthos are unemployed. How true is this? Do people have full-time jobs once they graduate? How do you keep up your skills if you operate on a casual basis?? (are you even allowed to operate on a casual basis? from a competency and legal point of view)

There is serious problems in the Orthopedics job market in Canada. Expect to do at least one fellowship to secure a community job. I have heard of guys needing two fellowships to go to the community. I have heard two is required for an academic position (plus most universities want a Masters now too).

I think the US job market is actually very good for Ortho. So if you don't mind moving to the states, the lack of Canadian jobs isn't as big of a deal.

Ortho is the posterboy of employment problems for the medical specialties.

How fast do things change? By the time anyone entering med school actually graduates residency in about 10-15 years, could the job market change dramatically? I don't think the state of the job market today should play too big of a role. Ophtho might be good right now but may not be in 15 years.

Ortho has an ace up its sleeve in that there is high demand for ortho in the USA. IT is the highest paid specialty there.

Pathology has the opposite problem. Jobs in Canada are scarce and the terms are bad (employee positions) and the USA job market is worse.

If you love ortho, do ortho and prepare for a life in the states.

How fast do things change? By the time anyone entering med school actually graduates residency in about 10-15 years, could the job market change dramatically? I don't think the state of the job market today should play too big of a role. Ophtho might be good right now but may not be in 15 years.

Anything can happen, but there is a backlog of Orthos looking for desirable work. Even if a bunch of spots open up right now, it would still be a bit of a rough job market.

You never know, and I think it would be a bad idea to avoid a specialty only because of the current market, but it can't be ignored either. Anyone considering Ortho sould be aware of the current job market and that they may have to live with that reality if they pursue it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, find a source for that statement and you're good! 

Far as I know it's just fine.  I'm in my second year of practice so relatively recent migrant.

Planning to move down next year.  No issues with Canadian training as far as I know.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived