Premed 101 Forums

Additional Information Section Of Application

For the Additional Information section in the application, the first prompt: 

If applicable, please explain why: A) Your education has not been continuous B) Your college or university education includes one or more part-time terms C) You are not currently attending college or university.

Does 27 credits a year count as part-time? For C), if you've just graduated and planning to take a gap year, is there a need to explain?

I think they might be referring to terms where you had status as a part-time student , i.e. less than 3 courses per term.. It would seem weird UBC would require an explanation for having less than 5 courses per semester given that they are anecdotally said to be the one of the most lenient schools, and it doesnt mention on their website you have to take a full course LOAD, just that you should demonstrate you're capable of taking on the rigours of med school.

you should check with ad com

I spoke to UBC about this. They want you to be able to demonstrate that you took a full course load at least once, unless you can provide a legitimate reason as to why you didn't. So, even if you did take three or four courses throughout your entire degree (which is considered full time by the university), but no year with 30 credits, I would explain why. 

Oh for me the 27 credits is just in my final year, where I decided to take one less course due to my thesis...hopefully this doesn't require an explanation? In all other years, I had more than 30 credits. :) 

And is anyone using this space to explain gap year plans?

Archived