Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Lifetime Limit?

canucks_14

I was under the impression you could take the test as many times as you please. But on the AAMC website it reads:

"You can take the MCAT exam up to three times per calendar year, up to four times over two consecutive years, with a seven-time lifetime limit."

https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/280598/mcat-prep.html

-see very bottom of the page in the link.

So is this accurate?? Does this AAMC rule apply to Canadian applicants for Canadian schools?

I was under the impression you could take the test as many times as you please. But on the AAMC website it reads:

"You can take the MCAT exam up to three times per calendar year, up to four times over two consecutive years, with a seven-time lifetime limit."

https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/280598/mcat-prep.html

-see very bottom of the page in the link.

So is this accurate?? Does this AAMC rule apply to Canadian applicants for Canadian schools?

They won't physically allow you to sign up for the MCAT more times than they state on their website.

Yeah you won't be able to write more than 3 times per calendar year, which includes voided exams.

I do believe the lifetime limit is relatively new since I haven't seen that rule before when I started writing the MCAT. It's for the best though, since writing it too much limits the seats for others and from the US medical school admission perspective they discourage applicants from rewriting many times.

- G

kind of makes sense though - there has to be a reasonable limit to how many times you write the test to keep things somewhat fair (for instance you take it enough times and you pseudo randomly will get high score in at least say the CARS section).

I think it's also kind on their end......... imagine the pain of writing >7 times (assuming that there wasn't a cap) and getting consistently low scores with little improvement........ it seems so futile by that point.

- G

Archived