Premed 101 Forums

Or/hospital Shoes

I liked my Danskos during clerkship - depending on the finish and colour, some will stain with blood, but it doesn't soak through.  And I didn't get blood on me very frequently anyway (once on OB/GYN I got blood on my shoes).  Unfortunately they are also pretty impermeable and I wore them barefoot and as a result I got a pretty nasty toenail infection.  

Right now I wear a lot of Aerosoles boots which are super comfy, but I don't go in the OR anymore.

I liked my Danskos during clerkship - depending on the finish and colour, some will stain with blood, but it doesn't soak through.  And I didn't get blood on me very frequently anyway (once on OB/GYN I got blood on my shoes).  Unfortunately they are also pretty impermeable and I wore them barefoot and as a result I got a pretty nasty toenail infection.  

Right now I wear a lot of Aerosoles boots which are super comfy, but I don't go in the OR anymore.

I was looking on the Danskos website and they don't ship to Canada ): Where did you find a pair on this side of the border?

if you're not planning on doing a surgical residency i'd just recommend going with a comfy pair of running shoes. had a couple of spills during my obs'gyn rotation but the shoes were black so it didn't show at all. i only bought a pair of OR clogs once I matched to a surgical specialty and realized that my feet were killing me from standing all day. i still wear my running shoes for call where i'm doing a lot of running around. 

http://www.survivinggrays.com/the-best-shoes-for-the-operating-room/

I second that if you aren't going to be a surgeon, don't worry about spending $100-200 on a pair of OR shoes. Just use a pair of sneakers that don't matter if you ruin them. If you think your feet will get dirty, stick some shoe covers on.

I wear Birkis. They are great from a body fluids point of view, but don't breath at all (as people have said). The lack of air flow doesn't bother me. I can stand in them without issue for an 8 hour OR.

just get a crappy pair of airwalks from payless for 20 bucks and put covers on them. if you ruin them get another pair. the most important thing for your feet in the or is a good pair of compression stockings. as residents under paro you are entitled to free compression stockings yearly. take advantage before residency is over.

Archived