Premed 101 Forums

Dal Bursaries

Guest lex

Can anyone offer any insight into the bursary program at Dal? For instance, Queen's is need-based (based on existing debt) with, last year, the highest indebted students getting $7500, $8000, $10000, and $7500 for years 1-4 respectively.

Any info on scholarships would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks very much,

L

Guest CaesarCornelius

Our bursary program is also need based, but I needed more than I got. I was very pleased to get what I did, but I think along with being need based it also has to do with how much money they have and how many people apply.

THere are several scholarships that you can apply for as well. There are also province specific (ie: NB and PEI) bursaries available.

Hope that helps

CC

Thanks CC,

Do you know what a ballpark amount for bursaries (in each year) would be for someone demonstrating high need?

Also, any info on the criteria for scholarships would be very helpful. BTW, I'm OOP from BC.

I'm trying to weigh the economics of a few schools and the differences so far have been significant.

Thanks again,

L

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey lex and 17,

I haven't spoken to anyone else about their bursaries but I received something like $1167.45.. Im not joking about the cents either. I think my need was somewhere around 2000 though.

As far as the scholarships go, i have no idea how much they are. But you should contact sharon graham in the admissions office as she is the key contact for this I believe.

17, wednesday was our deadline to pass in our forms. Unfortunately for me, I was thinking it was this friday. I am so silly! Oh well, time to go visit some family members..:)

CC

CC--

That stinks! A classmate of ours was visiting me and was frantically filling out his bursary forms Wednesday morning before he left...

Guest eJaya

Hi 17!!!!

I'm not sure how much the highest figure based on need is but I probably had the highest need you could have and I recieved about $5000...I think

eJaya

Guest wannabe

I went to the dal med website and did a bit of research on bursaries and scholarships and was a bit disappointed when I read that you have to apply for these within TWO WEEKS of receiving your acceptance letter. I've missed that deadline and probably others have too. Are they serious about this or is it a joke? ha ha

Guest CaesarCornelius

That sounds a bit shady. There are opportunities during the year for other bursaries, so don't think that you have missed ALL of them.

Later

CC

Guest DonaldKaufman

Within two weeks of receiving our letter? We're still waiting for the application package! If it wasn't for this forum, I would know pretty much nothing about how things work at Dal until the end of August, let alone when I should be applying for bursaries.

On a related note, I've signed up for a CPR course. Yes! I'm trying to be organized!

Guest DonaldKaufman

Yes, I am! It's sort of a @#%$ way to spend a Saturday (I'm secretly hoping it rains), but it will be good to have it finished.

See you Saturday!

-DK

Guest BCgirl

Wannabe,

I noticed that apply within 2 weeks thing last year, but you don't have to. You'll probably receive some info about entrance scholarships and bursaries later on. You could try calling or emailing the admissions office to find out for sure. The deadline last year was June 30th (it had been earlier, but it was extended so everyone could apply). You can also apply for bursaries in the fall.

Guest caperchic

the bursary/scholarship info and app forms are on medix now. in the email Sharon Graham said that the deadline is firm, july 16th.

Archived