Premed 101 Forums

San Bernardino Shooting

leviathan306

I really hope this becomes alarming enough to politicians there to start implementing gun control. I don't understand how this can continue without someone stepping up-even public groups, against this

If the deaths of almost two dozen young children weren't enough, I doubt this will be.

I really hope this becomes alarming enough to politicians there to start implementing gun control. I don't understand how this can continue without someone stepping up-even public groups, against this

I don't really have an opinion on gun control at the moment but would gun control be effective in preventing these shootings? If gun control would put an end to tragedies such as the connecticut shooting in 2012 id be all for it but I do not think unfortunately it will be panacea or anywhere close to one.

I personally believe it would be a lot more effective to address the mental health crisis/side effects of these psychiatric drugs in preventing these tragedies.

edit: **mental health crisis**

I don't really have an opinion on gun control at the moment but would gun control be effective in preventing these shootings? If gun control would put an end to tragedies such as the connecticut shooting in 2012 id be all for it but I do not think unfortunately it will be panacea or anywhere close to one.

I personally believe it would be a lot more effective to address the mental crisis/side effects of these psychiatric drugs in preventing these tragedies.

I used to have the same doubts, for the same reasons, but the reality is the US has the least gun control and the most shootings (by far) of any developed country. So it's hard to state there is no effect.

The US does have a lot of other issues, and the worst case of income inequality of any developed nation, again by a landslide, which indirectly causes a million problems ending in increased violence. But I don't know that there's any evidence of gun-control NOT doing any good, so at this point somethings better than nothing right?

I used to have the same doubts, for the same reasons, but the reality is the US has the least gun control and the most shootings (by far) of any developed country. So it's hard to state there is no effect.

The US does have a lot of other issues, and the worst case of income inequality of any developed nation, again by a landslide, which indirectly causes a million problems ending in increased violence. But I don't know that there's any evidence of gun-control NOT doing any good, so at this point somethings better than nothing right?

I think you hit the nail on the head with another root cause.

I have no idea if these arguments are valid or not but I heard people state that gun control would put people in a much worse position to defend themselves in these type of shootings and guns disincentivize shootings to take place as if anybody tried to pull crap like this there life would be put to an end very quickly and damage from these shootings would be mitigated.

If the deaths of almost two dozen young children weren't enough, I doubt this will be.

Sandy Hook was actually the end of the gun control debate. Once American politicians told the world that they were okay with 20+ children being killed, the debate ended. 

Also, having guns doesn't mean you can defend/stop a shooter. If someone with an assault rifle walks into a crowded room and starts shooting, people in the crowd shooting back is just going to kill more innocent people. Maybe consider a theatre - What happens when some Proud America™ starts shooting back in a dark room? Of course there needs to be major changes in mental health practices across the world. We also need to get rid of the hypermasculinity crap that permeates through society. 

It seems to me that the problem with the debate around gun control are mainly two-fold in the US: the constitutional right to bear arms and the absolutist argument that controlling guns won't completely stop the sorts of deaths from guns we've been seeing for many years. If changing the constitution helps to prevent needless tragedy, I would suggest making that change. Reframing the absolutist debate towards asking the question of whether it will do more or less harm to control firearms would probably also be helpful. I strongly doubt that putting more control on firearm ownership will cause more problems and will almost certainly help to stop at least some gun violence. 

Addressing SES disparity, mental health, and many of pop. health issues at the base of the pyramid would likely have the greatest impact on a population level and should also be occurring. Big steps are needed, for sure. I think it's obvious that President Obama understands this quite well, but he has been met an absurd amount of resistance to his social policies (not to say he hasn't made mistakes). 

It seems to me that the problem with the debate around gun control are mainly two-fold in the US: the constitutional right to bear arms and the absolutist argument that controlling guns won't completely stop the sorts of deaths from guns we've been seeing for many years. If changing the constitution helps to prevent needless tragedy, I would suggest making that change. Reframing the absolutist debate towards asking the question of whether it will do more or less harm to control firearms would probably also be helpful. I strongly doubt that putting more control on firearm ownership will cause more problems and will almost certainly help to stop at least some gun violence. 

Addressing SES disparity, mental health, and many of pop. health issues at the base of the pyramid would likely have the greatest impact on a population level and should also be occurring. Big steps are needed, for sure. I think it's obvious that President Obama understands this quite well, but he has been met an absurd amount of resistance to his social policies (not to say he hasn't made mistakes). 

I agree fully. I think the problem ultimately comes from America's 'land of the free" attitude-and how this has unfortunately turned the US into a "free" state where social programs seem to get a huge amount of backlash from the general population. The idea of the 'America dream' sadly looks like huge disparities and poverty for most.  Even though this clearly causes violence, among other problems, but it seems like any movement towards progressive social programs is resisted because of fear of increased taxes, despite how much it would benefit the entire country

Archived