Premed 101 Forums

Walk Me Through A Day In The Life Of A Radiology Resident

Wake up around noon, play WoW and eat pop tarts till about 8pm. D and D marathon until about 2am. Dictate "clinical correlation is required" about 500 times while playing minesweeper, go to sleep. 

Just playing, all in good fun. 

There are a couple residents around here so hopefully one can help you out. 

When you do electives, you'll have the opportunity to do just that -- follow a rads resident around all day! :P I can't speak for all programs, but in my experience usually first you go for teaching rounds in the morning, then for the day you are assigned to a specific list (e.g. CT abdo) and you read from that list on your own first, then review with staff, after which you dictate. Then you go for lunch (sometimes lunch rounds) and repeat in PM! There's also academic half-days. And IR is different; sortof like being in the OR instead with a list of patients and procedures to complete.

I've just started thinking about radiology as a possible career. 

What does a normal day / week work like for a radiology resident? 

Do you just show up with a 'to-do' list of CTs/X-rays/MRIs, etc? review with staff from time to time and then you're done?

Thanks.

Kind of :)

For me it is

7:30-8:30 morning rounds

8:30-10:30-11:00 go to assigned service and read independently/pre dictate a reasonable number of cases in whatever block you are on - sample sections are things like body, neuro, chest, MSK, US, peds, cardiac, emerg and so on.

next review and finalize those cases with staff until noon.

12:00-1:00 lunch rounds

1:00-3:30 or so same as morning with doing more cases.

following by afternoon read out at 3:30 or so until later. Usually end the day by 5:30. Sometimes it can go later (depends on the block - some are standard 6+pm)

or it is roughly a 10 hour day every day not on call. Tuesdays for us are academic 1/2 day so we have between 1pm-5pm lectures. Nice to have a for sure 5pm end time there ha.

once you are done you zip off home for your usual couple of hours or so of nightly studying.

that is a typical non-call day etc.

be careful to get a real picture when you are doing electives - if you are not careful you might get the idea radiology isn't that busy (often you get the afternoon off on electives at least at some centres etc). It is actually quite a busy day - we basically never have a point when there would be dead time - there is always another case to read ha. Plus like other services of course we have higher priority tasks/studies that must be completely before the day is over no matter.

Hi there,

The days' work is really dependent on the specific rotation as well as the rotation's site.  On most rotations you work from 8am-5pm with rounds scattered therein.  There are exceptions, e.g., obstetrical ultrasound wherein you may start at 8am and finish at around 4pm, but those are outliers.  Also, I'd typically stay later to ensure that my post-read reports were well done, i.e., if I finished reading with any given staff at 5pm, I could stay until 6 or 6:30pm to ensure that the reports were up to snuff.

Cheers,

GtG

I think the afternoon off during elective business is only in ottawa :P I've never had that schedule anywhere else! And agreed, days are quite busy; I've never seen a resident "run out" of things to read except in certain more specialized electives.

western had it too when I was there and occasionally on other electives for some days - ha, it is more so the staff and residents can get something done. Unlike pretty much every other service an elective student can truly has absolutely no way to help in any fashion. They only slow the team down :)

Archived