Premed 101 Forums

11 Vr But 130 Cars?

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kind of exactly like an IQ test that way - I mean the VR section is often compared to being the most IQ part of the test.

In theory in makes sense that the VR/CARS section would be the most link to intelligence because it is the part that is least likely to be solved with some pre-learned algorithm. It isn't that you can solve the other sections my memorization - the MCAT is too complex for that - but can memorize an approach to various types of problems it has. Do enough of that and you know something you can use to get a much better score. 

You can learn to be better at CARS/VR as well but I don't think people are really created some form of external approach for answering most of those questions (at least beyond a point). Actually physics/chemistry/biology are actually rather limited fields compared to everything else that can be on the CARS section.

Anyway that sort of english as a first language and other systemic bias has been tied to every single standardized test the US has created with measured disadvantages based on culture, race, income and gender...... Not surprising when you try to create single testing system for all people that it is only going to be approximate. When acceptance into various programs etc, etc are based on it then it becomes a problem - at least in theory.

thats not true, I have seen many intellectuals surgeons who have got 6 or 7 on their VR!!! your claim is so biased! and the science section is no way memorization!!!!

thats not true, I have seen many intellectuals surgeons who have got 6 or 7 on their VR!!! your claim is so biased! and the science section is no way memorization!!!!

I have run into a lot of extremely intelligent people with low VR/CARS scores as well - but my point in part was there are a lot of reasons to get a low score other than pure intelligence :)

I suppose your comment on memorization depends on your definition of things. Are there any straight up "What is the chromosome that causes this disease?" - no, there are not - so nothing like that needs to be memorized. However I would argue you are able to memorize some things - for instance there really are only so many inclined plane physics problems you can set up to be solved in the few minutes a question would have to be solved in on the test. Same with a lot of the physics/chemistry/biology etc Once you have done all of those types of problems over and over again, and learned your approach you know exactly what do to and how to do it on the real test- how much real thought is going on after that point?  For a lot of those sorts of questions nothing is all that novel - and one common definition of intelligence is the ability to solve specifically novel problems - something you haven't dealt with before.

There are those that argue VR/CARS doesn't work like that - each passage is very likely something you haven't read before and may have very little personal experience with. It is a more novel problem basically, and maybe one as such that is a better measure of intelligence than anything you truly have practise with (many IQ tests are similar in that fashion - problems you have never seen before or ideally have seen nothing even similar to before).  you can get experience in read text, experience is learning meaning in a passage but it is harder to come up with a reusable universal approach.

It that completely true? debatable (as everything else is as well). Still that is the logic - and it logic that many follow. It is the justification for instance that many use to put more of a focus on the VR section than other ones both here in Canada and as well in the US.

Archived