Premed 101 Forums

Did Everyone Else Feel Overwhelmed?

GermanZeus

I've been a paramedic for 5 years, the last 1.5 as an ACP in a remote northern community in SK. While studying during ACP school I really enjoyed learning our very narrow part in healthcare and thought maybe I'd want to go back to school. Now I've been thinking of it more seriously the last few weeks. I really enjoy being in school and learning so I'm not too worried about actually going back to school, but as someone who already knows what they need to accomplish it feels overwhelming. Giving up a $70k a year job that I actually do still enjoy (but I already know I don't want to do it forever) is a difficult pill to swallow. Not to mention I'll be about 26 when I start undergrad, and I'll probably be getting a BKin (I actually really enjoy exercise and health promotion, but I realize there isn't a lot of opportunities after). Then when you already know that you need to get A's in every class (over 90% in SK) and be really involved in ECs, all of it just seems like an overwhelming mountain of work.

Is that normal? Or do I maybe have the distorted view that people who get into Medical school in Canada are just some super students that never worried about it?

Most students don't have 70K a year to give up starting out ;) A lot of people in the non-trad thread worry about giving up good paying work.

It is a lot. I have an undergrad degree but went back to get prereq courses and prep for the MCAT and that seemed like a whole lot. Some people have the undergrad and get overwhelmed by just doing the application! You're thinking about taking on a big thing: it's totally normal to feel intimidated. But not necessarily reason not to do it!

Recommendation: aim for a mix in your undergrad courses. You need good reading/writing/analysis skills for the MCAT and to be a good doctor and taking some social science/literature/health studies courses will deepen your understanding of potential patients. Plus it means a varied workload in undergrad -- the science classes will stress memorization, the arts will have reading and essays, and soc sci usually a mix of those. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from chem to read a book, or escape an essay to do math. At least for me.

Have a close look at the med schools' different criteria. Some require 5 full courses/year, but some just want 'a full course load' which can be as low as 3 full courses instead of 5.

Are you hoping to eventually work as a physician in Northern Sask?

Yep.  All the time. On the bright side it's also rewarding when you meet those goals you set for yourself. 

It seems like everyone else here is a 'superhuman', and there's some who might be pretty close to it, but keep in mind all you see when someone posts 'stats' here is the end result, not the 4+ years it took to get there

Archived