Premed 101 Forums

What Are Fm Grads Doing When They Finish?

chromeboker

I remember reading that approximately a third of FM grads do a +1 in something, though I'm having trouble finding the source.

Starting a practice from scratch or even replacing a retiring physician can be difficult for a new grad due to upfront costs, so a lot of FM grads due some locums or work in walk-ins when they start. No idea what the distribution between these work environments are, though I imagine it's pretty heavy towards the locum/walk-in side of things.

I remember reading that approximately a third of FM grads do a +1 in something, though I'm having trouble finding the source.

Starting a practice from scratch or even replacing a retiring physician can be difficult for a new grad due to upfront costs, so a lot of FM grads due some locums or work in walk-ins when they start. No idea what the distribution between these work environments are, though I imagine it's pretty heavy towards the locum/walk-in side of things.

That seems very high too me, i don't think there are that many +1s available... there are approx 1500 FM spots in Canada?   

But yeah, starting a practice from scratch is super unlikely, unless you already have the capital or big time family backing. Taking over a practice, same difference only way is if you had connections.  

Most FM i know will do walk-ins for a bit, or locums, while they shop around to join a practice and do a split of sorts (70/30 etc etc).  

That seems very high too me, i don't think there are that many +1s available... there are approx 1500 FM spots in Canada?   

But yeah, starting a practice from scratch is super unlikely, unless you already have the capital or big time family backing. Taking over a practice, same difference only way is if you had connections.  

Most FM i know will do walk-ins for a bit, or locums, while they shop around to join a practice and do a split of sorts (70/30 etc etc).  

Well, there are 120 spots in the EM +1 alone, so I'd expect a few hundred in +1 students each year at least. You're right, a third might be an overestimate, but I don't think it's a gross overestimate. I'll see if I can find my original source, been wracking my brain to remember where I saw that stat.

Well, there are 120 spots in the EM +1 alone, so I'd expect a few hundred in +1 students each year at least. You're right, a third might be an overestimate, but I don't think it's a gross overestimate. I'll see if I can find my original source, been wracking my brain to remember where I saw that stat.

Wow there's 120 +1 spots for EM!?   I did not know that, should look more into the total # of +1s. Didn't think it would be that high!

Wow there's 120 +1 spots for EM!? I did not know that, should look more into the total # of +1s. Didn't think it would be that high!

There are just over 1300 family position in Canada offered in the first round.

Last year there were 130 EM plus one spots in all of Canada.

With a match rate of about 66% overall for EM (just under 200 applicants).

Not sure about the other specialties as the program's seem to run through the individual schools not carms but I'd imagine all of the additional plus ones offered would be around 100-150.

Which would bring it to about 20-25% so that's not too far off from the original info provided.

http://www.cfp.ca/content/59/9/e406.full.pdf

That's the best evidence I could come up with. This paper outlines info from 2011. At least 237 extra positions (some

Programs not accounted for). But if you take a look at table 3 it suggests that there are more spots available that aren't reported officially.

There are just over 1300 family position in Canada offered in the first round.

Last year there were 130 EM plus one spots in all of Canada.

With a match rate of about 66% overall for EM (just under 200 applicants).

Not sure about the other specialties as the program's seem to run through the individual schools not carms but I'd imagine all of the additional plus ones offered would be around 100-150.

Which would bring it to about 20-25% so that's not too far off from the original info provided.

give or take

a lot of this also depends on where you want to work - effects costs, support you might get and whether you have stronger argument for say a loan to set up the practise (as in you can prove a certain base of patients).

Other options:

- hospitalist work, with or without working at a clinic outside the hospital

- training in additional competencies that are not necessarily full year programs (3-6 months)

- joining an existing practice, rather than replacing a retiring doc or starting up a new one

Archived