Premed 101 Forums

Pt Job Market/ Salaries For New Grads?

For those of you who are in the situation of becoming a recent grad or are recent grads; how is the job market and how are PT salaries. I've spoken to numerous people and searched these boards and have found some mention that the Toronto market is saturated but through my own PT shadowing experience I have heard the complete opposite.

Hi!

I am from Quebec and have been working since a few months. 

Not sure about detailed salaries but from what I heard from friends :

Per hour 

Quebec : Starting salary in public = 25$, private = 28$.

Ontario : Starting salary in  in private = 30$

As for saturation, there is one in Quebec.

But you will end up finding a job in private.

I'm from Western Canada, so take this with a grain of salt.

New grads in Saskatchewan in private practice usually start around 65k; hospital PTs usually start around $35/hr; Alberta is generally about the same, though earning potential (at least in hospitals) is above 100k (>$50/hr). BC starting is generally lower (~$32/hr). Depends where you want to work (public vs private) and in what area (e.g. ortho, neuro, cardio).

There are a lot of opportunities in Western Canada for employment whether it is in private practice or public work. Ortho is generally the most available area to work in. Other areas such as ICU/cardioresp (my area of interest) are generally more difficult to find, though it is possible if you're willing to relocate.

EDIT: I should also note that salaries listed are before taxes.

Archived