Premed 101 Forums

Post-Interview Oop Chances

What are the chances of receiving an acceptance after the interview (specifically for OOP). Also, what is the post-interview evaluation comprised of?

~Thanks~

It's basically only determined by your MMI performance and reference phone calls are made on a pass/fail basis. Generally, they'll cut the bottom 30-40%, accept 10 people immediately, and put the rest on the waitlist, and offer acceptances in order of MMI performance as the people accepted deny their acceptances. Nobody can predict your post-interview chances because nobody knows how many interview invites went out. In previous years, no information about OOP waitlist positions were given or how many acceptances were off the waitlist. That being said, your chances are fairly high, as most people who get in OOP at UofS have high enough GPAs/MCATs to get in to their home province schools. I have a feeling that your odds will be better this year, maybe even over 50%, because the MCAT cutoff is much higher than last year and probably will have less people interviewed.

It's basically only determined by your MMI performance and reference phone calls are made on a pass/fail basis. Generally, they'll cut the bottom 30-40%, accept 10 people immediately, and put the rest on the waitlist, and offer acceptances in order of MMI performance as the people accepted deny their acceptances. Nobody can predict your post-interview chances because nobody knows how many interview invites went out. In previous years, no information about OOP waitlist positions were given or how many acceptances were off the waitlist. That being said, your chances are fairly high, as most people who get in OOP at UofS have high enough GPAs/MCATs to get in to their home province schools. I have a feeling that your odds will be better this year, maybe even over 50%, because the MCAT cutoff is much higher than last year and probably will have less people interviewed.

Thanks! That's helpful. 

When you say they "cut the bottom", that refers to failing the interview right? Do you know what constitutes "failing the interview"? I think I've heard that you need to do really badly on two stations, but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks! That's helpful. 

When you say they "cut the bottom", that refers to failing the interview right? Do you know what constitutes "failing the interview"? I think I've heard that you need to do really badly on two stations, but I can't remember for sure.

Yeah, basically the people with the lowest percentile MMI scores (sum total) get cut.

Don't let the numbers get in your head too much. Although Saskatchewan probably one of the best post interview OOP ratios in the country, I was still rejected off the waitlist last year while I was accepted right away into Queen's which has probably one of the lowest post interview acceptance rates.

was also rejected off the waitlist last year but I think last year was an anomaly with how many they interviewed

in years past, people that passed the interview got an acceptance

judging by their mcat cutoff this year, I think it will be more similar to years past than last year

was also rejected off the waitlist last year but I think last year was an anomaly with how many they interviewed

in years past, people that passed the interview got an acceptance

judging by their mcat cutoff this year, I think it will be more similar to years past than last year

This is pretty reassuring -- thanks for the info. :)

Reading between the lines here, if a higher OOP MCAT cut-off means fewer OOP applicants being interviewed, I wonder then how many more IP applicants there were this year. Seems practically guaranteed to be more than last year, but I guess we'll have to wait until the big weekend to know for sure... eep. 

Archived