Premed 101 Forums

What Happens If You Don't Pay Oma/cma Dues?

So I've totally neglected to pay my OMA/CMA dues since starting residency last July. What happens if you don't pay? Am I missing out on something? Can I skip this year and re-join next year or whenever I decide to?

The cost of the membership as a resident is obviously much higher than what it was in medical school.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

In general, yes, professional advocacy-type association dues are not mandatory. However, it is my understanding that OMA (but not CMA) is mandatory in Ontario for physicians in practice (excluding residents).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/91o51

This is correct.  If you are in practice and don't voluntarily pay your OMA dues, it will be automatically taken out of your billings.

CMA is optional.

This is correct.  If you are in practice and don't voluntarily pay your OMA dues, it will be automatically taken out of your billings.

CMA is optional.

yeah - that is one reason I basically say we are in a union. You cannot opt out of paying the "union dues".

I purposely let me OMA/CMA membership lapse this year because I feel their discounts and offerings are poor for the cost, and they have not been able to effectively resolve issues with the provincial government. So far nothing extraordinary happened except >3 emails and >3 paper letters reminding me to renew my membership.

It must be tough for practicing staff to have to pay for OMA despite their underwhelming performance.

• 3 weeks later...

you don't get OMA cellphone discount :(

which is exactly the only reason I got it this year!

Plus it saves me a bit on trains.

Of course once you buy the phone etc, they don't seem to check each year to see if you are still a member.  At least they didn't in the past when I got my phone (the old plan with rogers with the 5GB amount - no idea why it now dropped to 3GB. We are supposed to be moving forward here :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived