Premed 101 Forums

Laptop Recommendations

I'm hoping some upper year students can provide some insight into which laptop best suits a NOSM student. 

The technology handout they sent us with our package lists minimum vs recommended specs for a laptop.  Then lists MacBook Pro, Dell Latitude E5450 or 7450 or Microsoft Surface Pro 3 of 4 as their recommended makes/models.  

If someone could share the pros and cons of what they have used so far I'd appreciate it. I'm mostly interested in durability/function. I'd rather buy something that will last vs something cheap.  

Thanks! 

I'm also interested to hear about this.

Based on what others have said in another thread, the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or 4 are interesting options- personally I like to write my notes by hand so having a way to digitize them would be great. ​But it would be great to hear about other options as well!

I think it comes down to personal preference. I insist on working with a 15 inch screen (largest MS Surface is 13 inches I believe) and haven't hand written anything for years. When it comes to reliability it's very difficult to beat a MacBook Pro. You'll just have to shell out the $$$ for it.

After much debate and research this is what I decided on because im more seasoned with using Windows and this has better specs for less money. So far I love it a especially because it's so light and thin and easy to use. I haven't started med school yet though so I might not be the best person to offer an opinion for use in med school, but so far it's a great laptop - especially as far as reliability and portability is concerned!

Archived