Premed 101 Forums

Mabitoba Pt Vs. Queens And Western

Hi all, I was I wondering if anyone would be able to give me some insight on the dilemma I'm facing.

For the Manitoba program I have heard mixed reviews, as some love the instruction they have recieved, specifically within the ortho part of the curriculum, while others have warned that the pass rate for the PCE is amongst the lowest (if not the lowest) in Canada. This fact is troubling, but I can't make out whether it may be attributable to the program still being in its relative infancy (only started in 2012) and are therefore still working to find an approach that works, or perhaps it is because Manitoba recieves less applications than the Ontario schools (150 vs 850+) resulting in a wider discrepancy between the "top" of classes and the "bottom" of classes?

Being from Manitoba, it would be nice to stay close to home for the next two years and in the process save money, but at the same time I want to attend the program that best prepares me to not only pass the PCE, but thrive as a future PT which I believe Western/Queens would do.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about the Manitoba program, but.. 

You brought up good points in terms of reasons for low pass rates for Manitoba PT. Did you find out what the % has been recently? Is a low % meaning 60-70%, or it's just not in the high 90s like some of the other PT schools? Keep in mind that while the school provides you the material you need to master, it's up to each individual student to prepare themselves for the PCE.

While there are strong students at every PT school, it's possible that, due to the low number of applicants, some of the weaker students in Manitoba PT may not be at the same level as weaker students at other PT schools. 

As you mentioned, Manitoba's PT program is fairly new, so it's likely that they're constantly changing things to improve. Maybe try calling and asking the school if you haven't already? I have heard of PT students speaking to professors from different universities over the phone to gain a better understanding of the program.

Something else to consider is placements - would you be able to do some placements back home to learn more about healthcare in your province and city if you were to go to Ontario? Or would the school you choose not be as open to that, and would the cost of travel be too much? Many PT students make connections in their placements and are often hired at those locations afterwards.

Cost is something I'm factoring highly as well, and I'm close with my family so I'd like to stay as close to home as possible. While I did try to evaluate the schools I was accepted to on their program alone, I was highly influenced by each school's location. For me a school that is extremely far would have to be significantly better - in terms of what I look for in a school - than one closer to me.

Archived