Premed 101 Forums

3.92 Wgpa For Ottawa

Hey everyone, my wGPA for my second undergrad is 3.92. Going through the acceptances thread, I don't see a ton of <3.93s  :(. Reading this thread also got me down lol: http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/84904-acceptance-chance-with-393-wgpa/

Because of my crappy first undergrad, I'm really relying on Queen's, Western and Ottawa to maximize my chances (Ontario IP). I only have one class left in September, it's a 9-credit practicum course (I'm in an RN Bachelor's) but now I'm thinking about doing one more full-year just for Ottawa to try to improve on the wGPA. However, I know myself pretty well and I'd definitely have to sacrifice some extra-curriculars.

I'm going to be 26 years old, and the thought of another full year is exhausting haha.. I'm pretty committed to doing medicine somewhere in Canada, but at some point I have to stop right? Can't be doing 10 years of undergrad. So would this be a good idea? My wGPA could potentially be 3.95 if everything goes perfectly. Btw, my MCAT is 515 (128 CARS). Thanks!

I would suggest applying now, and doing another year of classes during the application cycle. Western's cutoffs might drop, but a 130CARS was needed this year, and a 3.92 is certainly possible for Ottawa but it's hard to say. But even getting practice with CASPer, and the application could be worthwhile

I would suggest applying now, and doing another year of classes during the application cycle. Western's cutoffs might drop, but a 130CARS was needed this year, and a 3.92 is certainly possible for Ottawa but it's hard to say. But even getting practice with CASPer, and the application could be worthwhile

Hey Sunny thanks for the input. Yes I'm definitely applying this cycle. I'm just trying to gauge what would be the most productive way to spend the next year; I have some good ongoing ECs that'll definitely have to be sacrificed if I do another full courseload year. 

As I just learned momentarily, UOttawa recently incorporated the MCAT into their admission process.  Therefore, I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that the GPA requirements will no longer be that high if they use the MCAT to cut down the applicant pool at all.  We, of course, don't know how it'll be used yet, but definitely apply. 

Fellow RN here, went back for two full time years post-nursing to boost my GPA and am currently MD2019 at Ottawa U - so its definitely possible and if you want it bad enough then one more year of full-time studies shouldn't deter you. I was 31 when I was accepted and Im not the oldest in my class. Oh and my WGPA was 3.93!! I suggest applying now and also enrolling for another year to boost your GPA. Personally I don't see Ottawa U dropping their GPA requirements that much with the MCAT but none of us know for certain. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived