Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys, 

Torn on where to put a few entries on my app/whether to include them at all

- CPR-C & First Aid: Expired like 3 years ago, valuable experience and I mean I generally do recall basic protocols (I probably should recertify though). Worth including on OMSAS? Do you think it'd be shady to put that on my UBC Diversity of Experience section?

- Peer Wellness Supporter: I'm big on advocating for mental health. I'm a peer supporter for a confidential service that has drop in one on one sessions with struggling students (we create action plans, a safe space for students to share struggles, use techniques that empower the students to make decisions, and finally offer referrals to resources such as campus counseling, sexual assault centers and more.)

Started in September, since then have undergone ~40 hours of intense training (including a retreat) to learn a variety of skills and emergency protocols...as a part of this I attended sexual assault and suicide prevention workshops hosted by other services, can I put the workshops under OTHER? I really cannot fit in the multiple dimensions of this role into one sketch entry.

- Arabic Second Language (Fluent) - Put under OTHER?

- 3rd Author Abstract - through my former lab (abstract approved for a poster that was presented in Kyoto conference, I was not able to attend the presentation though). UBC doesn't even give a damn about a third authorship, what about OMSAS? Can I put this under research?

-CPR and first aid- would only put if you recertify (I would not put expired qualifications). 

-for the peer wellness supporter, I would put the retreat/seminar under EC activities, and if you have actually done any volunteering hours so far, I would put that under volunteer experience (if its a reasonable number of hours)

-I would put Arabic proficiency under other

-the 3rd author abstract is a tough one, I would either not put it in at all, or put it in the research section, but some how clarify that you were not actually there to present but helped design/write the poster

good luck!

-CPR and first aid- would only put if you recertify (I would not put expired qualifications). 

-for the peer wellness supporter, I would put the retreat/seminar under EC activities, and if you have actually done any volunteering hours so far, I would put that under volunteer experience (if its a reasonable number of hours)

-the 3rd author abstract is a tough one, I would either not put it in at all, or put it in the research section, but some how clarify that you were not actually there to present but helped design/write the poster

good luck!

Don't mean to hop on this, but here it goes: so if you have activities/volunteering/ECs that you began/are beginning within the coming weeks and it is what you would call a "big time" activity that is very significant/important/high responsibility/hard to attain, you should still not put it? My reasoning for putting it is that in the months from september leading up to the file review & (potential) interviews, you will have put in a good number of hours into it during that span. 

Thoughts?

good luck!

Thank you for your help!

Just a quick question, what category would you place this under on the sketch? I currently have all my certifications under other, but it would be nice to move them somewhere else so that I can utilize the description.

Don't mean to hop on this, but here it goes: so if you have activities/volunteering/ECs that you began/are beginning within the coming weeks and it is what you would call a "big time" activity that is very significant/important/high responsibility/hard to attain, you should still not put it? My reasoning for putting it is that in the months from september leading up to the file review & (potential) interviews, you will have put in a good number of hours into it during that span. 

Thoughts?

Not sure if I understood your question, but if you started the activity before Oct 1st and have a reasonable no. of hours, you can definitely put it in. I actually put in an activity where the start date was Oct 1st and it was going to have a significant no. of hours per week and I did not have any problems doing this (I listed the expected hours per week on my application). Another activity I started in July of the application cycle, but had acquired 80 hours by Oct 1st so I put that in and talked about it at all my interviews. Hope this helps! 

Just a quick question, what category would you place this under on the sketch? I currently have all my certifications under other, but it would be nice to move them somewhere else so that I can utilize the description.

You could put it under ECs but be careful to make sure it does not look like padding. You could also group qualifications that all go together under 1 EC. 

Archived