Premed 101 Forums

Letter Of Recommendation - Which Referee?

Hey there,

For my letter of recommendation I  am having trouble deciding between two people. I already have a past professor writing one letter, but for the other I cannot decide between the PT I worked for a few years ago and the mother of a boy with Autism whom I have worked with for the past six years (and currently still do). The mother has provided me with a lot of OT resources to work off of, has met with tons of OTs, and works with children and adults with Autism, so she really understands the profession. I meet with her and her son weekly. I am still in contact with the PT and see her frequently, but have not worked at the clinic since 2014. I feel like a letter from a PT who owns a clinic may be viewed more advantageously from the admissions standpoint though?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

Edit: I am applying for OT by the way!

Is there any rule against family members of clients giving references? I remember UBC specifically states that family members of a client are not allowed to be referees, references must come from a professional. But I don't know the rules for all the other universities.

Yea that's what I was kind of worried about as well. I also feel having someone with a professional designation might be good on the application?

Archived