Premed 101 Forums

Biomed At York?

Safi

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums but I wanted ask about the Biomedical Science program (specifically at York)

I've been looking around a lot and noticed that Biomedical science seems to be a good choice for a "pre-med" undergrad but I wanted to get some more information.

I have read previous discussions about the topic but can't find anything as recent or that answer the questions I have.

My initial question is with a degree from the Biomedical program at York what else can I do with this degree; as in what other fields of medicine can this go to - dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, etc.

What are some programs similar to the biomed program at York?

Is there any problems with attending York when applying for medical school? I spoke to my Family Doctor and he said that at U of T (where he is a professor at the medical school) they look at a degree from York and dislike it - so what I'm asking is will me going to York have any problem with my ultimate plan to apply to medical school?

Thanks, any information you give me will help because I'm the first person in my family to attend university so the resources I have are not very large.

See my answers in bold.

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section of the forums but I wanted ask about the Biomedical Science program (specifically at York)

I've been looking around a lot and noticed that Biomedical science seems to be a good choice for a "pre-med" undergrad but I wanted to get some more information.

The only good choice for undergrad is the field of study that you are passionate about and genuinely interested in. What other people 'think' is irrelevant.

I have read previous discussions about the topic but can't find anything as recent or that answer the questions I have.

My initial question is with a degree from the Biomedical program at York what else can I do with this degree; as in what other fields of medicine can this go to - dentistry, pharmacy, nursing, etc.

Most professional schools these days don't have strict requirements that you need to have an undergraduate degree completed in the sciences--ex. humanities students can attend medical school. It's important to lookup the specific requirements for the professional programs at the particular schools that you are interested in applying to after you complete undergrad.

You should visit the York University website and do some exploring there. Consider attending a tour or university fair. Speak with your high school guidance counsellor if applicable.

Is there any problems with attending York when applying for medical school? I spoke to my Family Doctor and he said that at U of T (where he is a professor at the medical school) they look at a degree from York and dislike it - so what I'm asking is will me going to York have any problem with my ultimate plan to apply to medical school?

Your family doctor is gravely mistaken. Canadian medical schools do not look at which university you completed your degree and assign any value to that.

Thanks, any information you give me will help because I'm the first person in my family to attend university so the resources I have are not very large.

See my answers in bold.

I understand what you're saying and I am passionate about Chemistry and Biology; though it's definately challenging I like the challenge and being able to understand otherwise mundane things in a deeper level to me is osmething that is fascinating. 

By what programs are similar to Biomed at YorkU I meant similar programs at other universities (because I need at least 3 for the application itself)

Secondly, do you have any suggestions for ECs? I want to start doing some more ECs because currently I have been volunteering at my local mosque and helping to maintain it but I don't think that's enough - Are there any ECs you personally recommend that will help me have a better understanding in the field as well as provide me with some valueble skills and experience?

I understand what you're saying and I am passionate about Chemistry and Biology; though it's definately challenging I like the challenge and being able to understand otherwise mundane things in a deeper level to me is osmething that is fascinating. 

By what programs are similar to Biomed at YorkU I meant similar programs at other universities (because I need at least 3 for the application itself)

Do you want to study more abstract scientific concepts? Then consider a degree in chemistry, physics, biophysics, biochemistry, etc.

If you enjoy learning about plants, animals and humans then consider a degree in biology.

If you are only interested in learning about the human body then consider a degree in kinesiology.

If the mind is fascinating to you then consider a degree in psychology.

In terms of programs that you can search up at multiple universities that have similar scientific content you can use the terms I typed out above in addition to searching for "life sciences" programs which should have similar content.

I cannot comment to how the biomedical program at York is different from the biology program so that is something you may want to explore in helping you to narrow your choices down.

Secondly, do you have any suggestions for ECs? I want to start doing some more ECs because currently I have been volunteering at my local mosque and helping to maintain it but I don't think that's enough - Are there any ECs you personally recommend that will help me have a better understanding in the field as well as provide me with some valueble skills and experience?

Lookup the CANMEDs roles and think about how you can build those skills through extracurricular opportunities available to you in your own community. Pursue opportunities that you are genuinely passionate about and that align with your interests. There are no specific extracurricular activities that are required. It's about demonstrating that you have developed those core competencies.

what I say to every premed friend I know - don't go into biomed just because its has the word 'medicine'. Especially at York. I'll leave the pleasure of finding out the exact program requirements of biomed and just biology to you... internet literacy is a useful skill you should have ;) 

you'll find that biology doesn't require as many hard classes in third and fourth year, that's just my two cents... 

what I say to every premed friend I know - don't go into biomed just because its has the word 'medicine'. Especially at York. I'll leave the pleasure of finding out the exact program requirements of biomed and just biology to you... internet literacy is a useful skill you should have ;)

you'll find that biology doesn't require as many hard classes in third and fourth year, that's just my two cents... 

I understand what you mean but from the reading I did on some university sites as well as forums (such as this one) my understanding was that Biomed is a more "versatile" program because it has pre-reqs that the typical medical, dental and pharmacutical school may need. For me I want to have as many options as possible within the medical field because I think it's important to maintain some sort of back-up. 

I see what you mean though, I was trying to find out what programs were actually offered in the course calendar (talked to a lady from YorkU as well earlier this week) but it seems to be unclear after 2nd year what they would do - I could only fine the first and second year typical courses.

If I were to take pure biology instead what would the difference between the two degrees be?

I understand that both are honours degrees because they're 4 year programs but what would the major difference(s) be?

Thanks for everything you've said so far though definately helped

Search degree requirements on google for biology and biomed. I have to give some credit to York for one thing right - telling you explicitly from year 1 to year 4 what courses you have to take.

With regards to pre-reqs - they are outlined at every school's websites, and I can tell you that with my garbage of a Psychology degree I satisfy all the pre-reqs for med schools (I could've also gotten dental and pharmacy if I wanted to) so dont worry about pre-reqs is what I am trying to tell, you can get them done with any degree.

Good luck. 

I'd suggest you go into biology. Biomed is unnecessarily challenging and it'll force you to take courses instead of you picking courses you thoroughly enjoy. Literally that's the only difference between a bio degree and a biomed degree. You get to plan out your courses with a bio degree so pick the ones youll get as pre-reqs for med/dental schools. 

I'd suggest you go into biology. Biomed is unnecessarily challenging and it'll force you to take courses instead of you picking courses you thoroughly enjoy. Literally that's the only difference between a bio degree and a biomed degree. You get to plan out your courses with a bio degree so pick the ones youll get as pre-reqs for med/dental schools. 

Personally for me I would prefer to learn about human biology rather than environment biology (which seems to be one of the possibilities in biology) so I was planning on going into biomed because it seemed to offer a more medical-focused biology; for me this is what I am interested but I wanted to know what you mean by it being more challenging.

Is it more challenging by being restrictive on courses or because the courses you can select out of are considered more challenging than those available in 3rd and 4th year Biology?

Thanks

the same 3rd and 4th year bio courses are open to you in both programs. Biomed is just generally harder because your required to take more (and at the same time) harder bio courses. I have a friend taking ecology, I am not kidding you, they have to out and observe trees in a 4th year course. Sounds much more straight forward to me than advanced biochem. (Of course, it is very professor dependent and there's more to the course than just observing trees)

I want to stay away from giving you too much information, because I may be biased. And you should really pursue something you like, but at the same time talk to people here to get a sense, but the final decision is all on you. This may be one of the most important decisions you make - and I don't want to be the prick who may have misled you too much.

One nice thing is, that you can do enroll in biomed, get a sense of what York is all about and switch after first year to pretty much any science degree you want and still finish in four years.

Good luck!  

Hi,

The course calendars should tell you what to take from years 1-4.  Here's the one for Biology and Biomed: http://calendars.students.yorku.ca/2016-2017/biology-SC

You can also then revisit Science Academic Services at YorkU and pick up their "Professional School Requirement Package" and map out the courses you'd want to take in bio and biomed programs and see how comfortably you'll be able to meet the pre-reqs for different programs like med, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, vet, etc.

You'll notice that the difference for biomed is in the 51 upper year biology credits because they must come from the list provided in that link.  

I agree with your freewheeler that your family doctor is wrong.  Nonetheless, if you have any specific questions you can PM me - I graduated from Biomed at York.

Hi,

The course calendars should tell you what to take from years 1-4.  Here's the one for Biology and Biomed: http://calendars.students.yorku.ca/2016-2017/biology-SC

You can also then revisit Science Academic Services at YorkU and pick up their "Professional School Requirement Package" and map out the courses you'd want to take in bio and biomed programs and see how comfortably you'll be able to meet the pre-reqs for different programs like med, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, vet, etc.

You'll notice that the difference for biomed is in the 51 upper year biology credits because they must come from the list provided in that link.  

I agree with your freewheeler that your family doctor is wrong.  Nonetheless, if you have any specific questions you can PM me - I graduated from Biomed at York.

I understand you graduated from York Biomed but I wanted to get your imput since you attended the program (I have sent you a private message with further details in regards to the Biomedical Science program at York) but how do you think the Biomed at Ryerson is?

If it is to an extent equivalent I think that would be the ideal program for me; it would be a smaller commute (looking at 30 minutes to Ryerson versus almost 2 hours to York) so I would be saving 3 hours a day in travelling giving me 3 hours more to study ;) 

Anyway, do you know anything about the Biomedical Sciences program at Ryerson and how it compares to York?

I'm honestly just looking for a program that provides me with pre-requisites as well as skills necessary for attending Medical School while at the same time "entertaining" me by providing me with more facts and ideas to think about in terms of the human body (which is why I'm reluctant in going for a Pure Biology degree as it seems to be more split in the 3rd and 4th year in terms of focuses)

Thanks

I understand you graduated from York Biomed but I wanted to get your imput since you attended the program (I have sent you a private message with further details in regards to the Biomedical Science program at York) but how do you think the Biomed at Ryerson is?

If it is to an extent equivalent I think that would be the ideal program for me; it would be a smaller commute (looking at 30 minutes to Ryerson versus almost 2 hours to York) so I would be saving 3 hours a day in travelling giving me 3 hours more to study ;)

Anyway, do you know anything about the Biomedical Sciences program at Ryerson and how it compares to York?

I'm honestly just looking for a program that provides me with pre-requisites as well as skills necessary for attending Medical School while at the same time "entertaining" me by providing me with more facts and ideas to think about in terms of the human body (which is why I'm reluctant in going for a Pure Biology degree as it seems to be more split in the 3rd and 4th year in terms of focuses)

Thanks

Hi Safi, I will take a look at your PM and respond soon.  I don't know much about the Ryerson program you've mentioned.  Maybe someone else can comment on that for us.  That commute difference seems significant, but it all depends on you. 

Hello everyone! I am an international student and I'm looking forward to study in canadian universities in Fall 2017.I find very interesting the research part of human diseases and their treatments that's why I'm deciding to study Biomedical Science BSc.I have applied at some universities for this undergraduate program (Ryerson University,Waterloo,University of Ottawa).I have applied for Life Science (Biology) at McMaster too.I am not interested to enter Medicine in the future.I would really appreciate if you could answer the questions below:

-Which is the best university for Biomed Science?(If you have any other university to suggest please tell me)
-Which university is more prestigue in teaching quality,research and increases the chance of employment?
-As I said I'm not interested to enter Medicine in the future,I just want to study Biomed Science.I am worried about the fact that most of the students in Canada choose this program to pursue Medicine and some of them say that this degree is useless if you don't go to medicine.Should I consider Biomed Science?Will I have a lot of opportunities to get employed?Or should I consider an alternative program similar to Biomed Science?
-Will I get accepted in above universities?(I have an Average 9.9 out of 10 that is almost excellent in my country.I got an A+ in my finals at Biology.Also I have participated in a lot of Biology Competitions and have won a lot of prices in the whole country.
Thank you very much for considering my questions. :))))) 

Hello everyone! I am an international student and I'm looking forward to study in canadian universities in Fall 2017.I find very interesting the research part of human diseases and their treatments that's why I'm deciding to study Biomedical Science BSc.I have applied at some universities for this undergraduate program (Ryerson University,Waterloo,University of Ottawa).I have applied for Life Science (Biology) at McMaster too.I am not interested to enter Medicine in the future.I would really appreciate if you could answer the questions below:

-Which is the best university for Biomed Science?(If you have any other university to suggest please tell me)
-Which university is more prestigue in teaching quality,research and increases the chance of employment?
-As I said I'm not interested to enter Medicine in the future,I just want to study Biomed Science.I am worried about the fact that most of the students in Canada choose this program to pursue Medicine and some of them say that this degree is useless if you don't go to medicine.Should I consider Biomed Science?Will I have a lot of opportunities to get employed?Or should I consider an alternative program similar to Biomed Science?
-Will I get accepted in above universities?(I have an Average 9.9 out of 10 that is almost excellent in my country.I got an A+ in my finals at Biology.Also I have participated in a lot of Biology Competitions and have won a lot of prices in the whole country.
Thank you very much for considering my questions. :))))) 

Hi Kl Sh, I don't think anyone here can point to the best or most prestigious biomed program out there.  I would begin by contacting the Admissions departments of the universities you are considering to see if you meet their requirements.  Then you can ask them to get you in contact with their Science departments and ask them questions that could help you narrow down which university would work best for you.

Personally for me I would prefer to learn about human biology rather than environment biology (which seems to be one of the possibilities in biology) so I was planning on going into biomed because it seemed to offer a more medical-focused biology; for me this is what I am interested but I wanted to know what you mean by it being more challenging.

Is it more challenging by being restrictive on courses or because the courses you can select out of are considered more challenging than those available in 3rd and 4th year Biology?

Thanks

Me too! Over the years I've learned that I find courses such as immunology and cancer biology much much more interesting than any ecology courses (hate ecology in fact). 

It's more restrictive in terms of the courses you select being more challenging. For example, you have to take animal phys I and II and people generally avoid those because the lab component in each is known to bring everyone's grade down. But on the good side, if you like human biology courses you should enjoy some of the more challenging upper year courses. Immunology for example, people warned me not to take but I really enjoyed it! 

If you do biology, you can still do human biology focused courses! Ultimately, it's really up to you. If you're up for the challenge, go for it. It def will be a challenging undergrad to pursue for a pre-med in my opinion. 

Sorry for not replying sooner, was wrapping up with exams! 

Archived