Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters Requirements For Us Schools

victorias

I am planning to apply to US MD schools in the next cycle. On the various school websites, it states different requirements for reference letters. What letters did you guys submit?

- for example, Rosalind Franklin wants a letter from medical professional. I volunteered in a hospital and the volunteer coordinator writes generic letters stating that "Student A volunteered from date 1 to date 2 and contributed xxx hours in ..... department". I don't know where I can obtain letters from medical professionals and how this generic letter would be helpful. I feel that letters from my professors whom I have directly worked with would be a better reflection of my character and abilities. I sent them an email and got a generic reply.

- Some schools are asking for letters from one biology/one chemistry/one physics/one humanities. I am a non trad applicant and took some of these courses years ago.

- Some schools mentioned that if you are working, you need to submit a letter from work supervisors.

For those who applied in the past, what letters did you submit?

I am planning to apply to US MD schools in the next cycle. On the various school websites, it states different requirements for reference letters. What letters did you guys submit?

- for example, Rosalind Franklin wants a letter from medical professional. I volunteered in a hospital and the volunteer coordinator writes generic letters stating that "Student A volunteered from date 1 to date 2 and contributed xxx hours in ..... department". I don't know where I can obtain letters from medical professionals and how this generic letter would be helpful. I feel that letters from my professors whom I have directly worked with would be a better reflection of my character and abilities. I sent them an email and got a generic reply.

- Some schools are asking for letters from one biology/one chemistry/one physics/one humanities. I am a non trad applicant and took some of these courses years ago.

- Some schools mentioned that if you are working, you need to submit a letter from work supervisors.

For those who applied in the past, what letters did you submit?

I didn't go to an American medical school, but I'll give you my thoughts anyways.

Things work differently in the US compared to Canada. They place greater importance on pre-med clinical exposure, hence their desire to see a letter specifically from a medical professional vouching for your interest and abilities. Obtaining these letters is difficult unless you directly shadowed or did stuff for them. In your case, I would see if there was a physician at the hospital who's willing to attach their name to your hospital volunteer letter. There is usually someone in charge of patient experience, satisfaction, quality control etc, and what you do as a volunteer does contribute to the running of the institution, albeit in a more subtle capacity. It's a bit of a long shot, but if you explain your situation maybe someone will help you.

Likewise, for biology, chemistry, physics letters... I would go to the Department Head and explain your situation as a non trad, and ask them to write you a generic department letter to help complete your application. It would help if you did well in your courses.

A letter from your supervisor or employer if you're currently working is obvious.

Hope this helps.

Archived