Premed 101 Forums

Omsas Gpa Calculation

Hello people of premed,

This may be a stupid question but it effects me greatly - in calculating our OMSAS GPA, do we average out the percentages we received in each course and use that or do we average out the letter grades we received? 

When I average out my percentages, I got a flat 80% which converts to 3.7 but when I average out my letter grades, I get far less :|

Thank you!

Hello people of premed,

This may be a stupid question but it effects me greatly - in calculating our OMSAS GPA, do we average out the percentages we received in each course and use that or do we average out the letter grades we received? 

When I average out my percentages, I got a flat 80% which converts to 3.7 but when I average out my letter grades, I get far less :|

Thank you!

You need to convert each of your grades to a GPA format, and then take the average of those to get your final GPA. You can't just average out your grades in number format and then convert that one number to a GPA. 

For example:

87   3.9

92   4

90   4

91   4

96   4

96   4

92   4

90   4

91   4

94   4

My final GPA for this year was a 3.99. If I had done it your way I would have got a 4.0.

tl.dr: you average out the GPA equivalents for each course in a specified year

Hello people of premed,

Thank you!

Similarly to what the poster above explained, if you go to a school that uses both letter and percentage grades, you need to look at the OMSAS chart and covert each grade (letter or percentage) to a gpa score. For example, if let's say, you got an 80 and B+ (and both courses are worth the same amount), and theoretically the 80 converts to a 3.7 whereas the B+ coverts to a 3.5, you would add 3.7 and 3.5 and divide by two. When doing this, you would obviously include all your courses for the year and take into account whether they are half or full courses. Hope that made sense! 

• 2 weeks later...

Similarly to what the poster above explained, if you go to a school that uses both letter and percentage grades, you need to look at the OMSAS chart and covert each grade (letter or percentage) to a gpa score. For example, if let's say, you got an 80 and B+ (and both courses are worth the same amount), and theoretically the 80 converts to a 3.7 whereas the B+ coverts to a 3.5, you would add 3.7 and 3.5 and divide by two. When doing this, you would obviously include all your courses for the year and take into account whether they are half or full courses. Hope that made sense! 

Hey

Can you please tell me where you get the conversion scales for university gpa to omsas gpa? I tried looking it up but it is a little confusing for me to understand. 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

When i took a look at the above website, it said that a B+ is a 3.3, not a 3.5. 

So, if I am from uOttawa, how does my conversion work? I would greatly appreciate the explanation. 

thanks 

Thank you so much! Guess i just have to work even harder this semester.

that is the trap with GPA - it measures BOTH consistency AND performance while average just measures performance. Making sure people understand that is one of the primary goals any school's premed guidance plan should have. It traps a lot of people unfortunately 

Hey

Can you please tell me where you get the conversion scales for university gpa to omsas gpa? I tried looking it up but it is a little confusing for me to understand. 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

When i took a look at the above website, it said that a B+ is a 3.3, not a 3.5. 

So, if I am from uOttawa, how does my conversion work? I would greatly appreciate the explanation. 

thanks 

You have the right table. That table is a bit confusing ha, Ottawa letter grades would us column 7 - which would put a B+ as having a GPA equivalent of 3.3 like you said. 

Schools have use percentages usually use column 3. Almost everyone actually is using either columns 3 or 7 but there are a few schools with somewhat unusual policies requiring all the other columns to be added. 

Anyway for you for each course use column 7, get the GPA for each course, and assuming they are all standard courses you sum up the GPA for each and divide by the total number of courses. If some courses are 1/2 weight or more double way you just have to multiple the GPA for that course by that weighting and remember to divide by the total equivalent number of standard courses you took. 

You have the right table. That table is a bit confusing ha, Ottawa letter grades would us column 7 - which would put a B+ as having a GPA equivalent of 3.3 like you said. 

Schools have use percentages usually use column 3. Almost everyone actually is using either columns 3 or 7 but there are a few schools with somewhat unusual policies requiring all the other columns to be added. 

Anyway for you for each course use column 7, get the GPA for each course, and assuming they are all standard courses you sum up the GPA for each and divide by the total number of courses. If some courses are 1/2 weight or more double way you just have to multiple the GPA for that course by that weighting and remember to divide by the total equivalent number of standard courses you took. 

thanks, that makes sense. I think 3.5 was a mistake above. 

I had another question, for western, have applicants been able to secure an interview with a conditional gpa of 3.7, and stellar MCAT?

thanks, that makes sense. I think 3.5 was a mistake above. 

I had another question, for western, have applicants been able to secure an interview with a conditional gpa of 3.7, and stellar MCAT?

yes

More than just got an interview, actually been accepted etc. I mean there is of course an uphill battle but it does happen. Otherwise the policy basically would make no sense, ha. 

For western in particular GPA is a fixable problem potentially as with a best of two year policy you can relatively rapidly correct a GPA issue (even if you have take more schooling to do it). The primary barrier is clearly the MCAT for most. 

yes

More than just got an interview, actually been accepted etc. I mean there is of course an uphill battle but it does happen. Otherwise the policy basically would make no sense, ha. 

For western in particular GPA is a fixable problem potentially as with a best of two year policy you can relatively rapidly correct a GPA issue (even if you have take more schooling to do it). The primary barrier is clearly the MCAT for most. 

that is very encouraging. 

thank you for such a quick reply! 

Archived