Premed 101 Forums

quiet...

Guest brandonite

Guest brandonite

Nobody's posted in here in the past two weeks! Where is everyone?

I have basically decided to not defer (gasp), so I will be starting med school with all of you in a couple of weeks. Except I have to work all of next week, so I will miss all of o-week, except for the ceremony on Wednesday.

And I hear there have already been 15 people taken off the waitlist with two weeks to go, so things are definitely moving there!

Everyone looking forward to starting in two weeks? Or looking forward to making the most of their last weeks of freedom? :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there brandonite,

Does this mean that you will not be pursuing the MD/PhD program? If not, may I ask if it was due to UM's infrastructure for their program (or lack thereof, which you've mentioned a few times)?

Cheers, and enjoy yourself!

Kirsteen

Guest brandonite

I'm still interested in an MD/PhD... The program at Manitoba is getting in place, I think, which is reassuring. I am still not entirely confident in it, but for now...

Basically, my other option was to start a Masters right now. That would mean at least two more years until I could start med school, and to do a MD/PhD after that would just be a bit ridiculous. If two years from now, I'm still not too sure about the MD/PhD, than I can just finish off my MD. There are programs out there (like the Royal College's clinical investigator's program) that would allow me to do a PhD with my residency, or something like that.

I guess the bottom line is that I want to start med school, and I want to graduate at a reasonable age! Hehe. :)

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Brandonite,

I haven't had much to say lately... oh, and I've been frantically trying to get my hands on some ID so that I can fly home. A bag containing my student card (the only photo ID I had, which Queen's is refusing to replace) and my SIN card was stolen from my lab during our move to the new chem building -- but I didn't realize it was missing until a couple of weeks ago. :rolleyes

I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us! :D Have you heard anything since receiving the immunization papers? I thought we were supposed to receive more info re: o-week, but nothing has reached me out in K-town.

Guest brandonite

I got a letter today from the "Orientation Committee 2002". I'm going home tonight, so I will let you know what it says. But if it made it out to Brandon already, then people from Winnipeg should know what's in it. Anyone care to enlighten us? :)

I completely forgot about the immunization until last Friday. I have an appointment to get most of that done tomorrow, but I guess stuff like HepB takes six months! How are you supposed to get that done before classes start? Oh well...

Anyway, I personally am looking forward to starting in two weeks. I guess I will see you again at the ceremony on Wednesday, ManitobaMed... :)

Guest ManitobaMed

I think you can take care of immunizations after arriving at the med school if you're from out of town... so say you're from out of town. That's what I'm doing! :) I need Hep B, plus a second rubeola shot. Have you looked at the class schedule on the web yet? It looks like some time has been slotted for TB testing (2-step Mantoux) and Hep B shots.

See you next week! :)

Guest brandonite

I have looked at the class schedule. I guess I just didn't look that closely... I spent quite a while trying to figure out how to bring it over to my computer, without any luck. :(

But anyway, I have my appointment made for my TB and HepB shots, so... I'll just go ahead and get them done/started.

Is it just you and I on here again? :)

Guest ManitobaMed

Yup, I think we're flying solo. It's too bad you can't make it to o-week. I just received the sched, and it looks like it could be fun. If nothing else, they're providing us with food. :) There does seem to be a lot of time slotted in for guest speakers, though. :\

Guest brandonite

Hmm. Yes, I see all the guest speaker time. I wonder what's up with that?? Oh well.

I guess I will be there on and off through most of the week. I will be at the social Monday night, and I'm going to try to come to med games on Tuesday afternoon. Hehe... Showing up for the fun things. Oh well. ;)

Has anybody gotten an actual registration form or a bill from U of M? I am still waiting... :(

Guest brandonite

Oh, and supposedly there is time to get the immunizations done during school, but it is the Med 2's that do them. And based on the Med 2's that I know... Well, let's just say I got them done on my own. Hehe... ;)

Guest ManitobaMed

The med 2 students do them?!? :eek Maybe I'll try to set something else up...

I haven't received a bill yet, either. I'm assuming med school's free this year. ;)

Archived