Premed 101 Forums

Extra fees?

Guest Winnipeger

Guest Winnipeger

I was just wondering if any of you know what is the deal with this statement I found on the applicantion bulletin: "successful applicants may be required to provide evidence that they have not been convicted of, or, are currently charged with a Criminal offence."

Are we supposed to pay for some background check on ourselves out of our own pocket? I've not been told of this so I'm really not sure...has anyone heard anything?

Guest Melissa13

It is quite common to have criminal record checks as a requirement for the health care professions. I had to have one when I started nursing a few years ago. Your local police department will probably do them for about 10 dollars and it takes about ten minutes at the station. They give you a certificate that you can forward along with your app. Call your local PD for more info.

Guest Winnipeger

Hi Melissa...are you applying this year also? It says "sucessful applicants" so does that mean that we should until being told of doing so? So when you said local police do you mean the place we currently reside?

Guest brandonite

I have been accepted, and I have yet to hear anything about a criminal check. So, I would say that you can safely wait until they actually tell you to go out and get one done.

I have always been curious about this - what kind of offence will mean that you can't go to med school? I don't have anything on my record personally, but I don't see why someone with a DUI from 10 years ago should be forbidden to become a doctor. Or underage drinking (I don't know if that goes on your record or not, but anyway) - things like that. Does anyone know?

Archived