Premed 101 Forums

Ethnic Diversity At U Of T?

Hi there! :)

I have heard that Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in North America (and that draws many people to the city, myself included), but I am wondering if this is reflected in the ethnic diversity of the med school? 

UofT is rather diverse, but the population diversity in any medical schools is likely not to truly reflect the diversity of the city. I've seen numerous reports where Caucasians and east Asians are the majority of the population pool in most of the med schools, and African Americans/natives are to make the minority of the population pool, being far less than the proportion compared to the actual city population. It'll be like this in many med schools, and it goes far beyond surface factors

UofT is rather diverse, but the population diversity in any medical schools is likely not to truly reflect the diversity of the city. I've seen numerous reports where Caucasians and east Asians are the majority of the population pool in most of the med schools, and African Americans/natives are to make the minority of the population pool, being far less than the proportion compared to the actual city population. It'll be like this in many med schools, and it goes far beyond surface factors

in particular you would have to bring up on this topic that the school has specifically started a program regarding those African Canadians you mention (along with long standard programs for Native Canadians). 

Those are issues that extend a lot wider in our education system than just medical school of course but medical school admissions does highlight it well. 

Hi there! :)

I have heard that Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in North America (and that draws many people to the city, myself included), but I am wondering if this is reflected in the ethnic diversity of the med school? 

I think every medical school in Canada is pretty much more diverse than their surrounding area, with the possible exception of Toronto, just purely because Toronto is just too diverse. 

I think every medical school in Canada is pretty much more diverse than their surrounding area, with the possible exception of Toronto, just purely because Toronto is just too diverse. 

Not necessarily. Same goes for McMaster (Hamilton is more diverse), UBC (Vancouver is more diverse) and I wouldn't be surprised if others like McGill and Calgary were also included

Archived