Premed 101 Forums

Ot Programs Difficulty/marks Distribution

Hi everyone!

I am entering OT with the plan to apply to another program after graduation from OT--therefore the marks I attain in OT are important.

I am wondering if anyone knows about the difficulty of the OT programs in Ontario & BC--particularly UBC, U of T, Western, & Queens (i.e. how easy or difficult it is to earn an A in class, how fast-paced is the program, class average, etc)

Thanks so much for your help!

I actually recently asked an OT I shadow regarding marks in OT school, and when I said: "...easy to keep As in classes", she just rolled her eyes and laughed (she graduated from U of T).. So I would say the answer to your question is probably to not go into OT unless you are willing for it to be your career if you didn't manage to get into the other program you have in mind.

As someone who wants to be an OT and would kill for a spot in any school I've applied to - PLEASE do not take the spot of someone who is wanting to make this a career. That's really not cool.

This is specifically regarding applying to a PhD program in rehab sciences (most likely in occupational therapy) after my master's.

Hi thedarknight,

Here in Quebec, it's quite common to see OT bachelors get into med school. Indeed OT and PT are among the strongest programs and among the most judicious choices in terms of applying to med school afterwards.

The high rate of OT/PT bachelors in Quebec med school suggests that As and A+s are attainable. 

However, I may have to stress the fact that OT, and PT as well, is an undergraduate, here in Qc. 

Best of luck,

EDIT : Sorry, I just saw that you're aiming for the PhD program. Nonetheless, my comments regarding the difficulty still stand.

Archived