Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa required courses

Is organic chemistry 1 an absolute required course. The admissions website is unclear as it says 2 full time years of chemistry in general, organic or biochemistry. Could 1 full year of general and  full year of biochemistry be sufficient?

the equivalent of 2 full‑year courses (or 4 semester‑long courses) from the following chemistry courses:

1. General biochemistry without laboratory session
  2. General chemistry with laboratory session
  3. Organic chemistry with laboratory session

is the exact wording - it is kind of hard to do that without organic chem only because you usually don't have more than one general biochem course at the school, and more than two general chem courses. I would check with them if you have another course in mind but by the wording a more advanced biochem course couldn't be used in that mix for instance to remove organic etc. 

I guess by the wording you could do any 4 organic chem courses ha. 

I would email the admission office with specific course codes from your school to see if they meet the requirements, but I was accepted this year without taking any orgo. 2 gen chem courses with lab, and 2 biochem courses without lab was sufficient!

I interviewed this year and had 2 general chemistry with lab, 1 biochem with lab and 1 organic chem with lab. My school does have 2 biochem classes (the second is bogus everyone fails) but all of them have a lab. It wasn't considered a downfall for my application (they probably liked that it had a lab component honestly) and I met the requirements to land an interview regardless. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, biochem4 said:

for chem pre-requisites, do they have to be within the fall/winter session or it doesn't matter as long as they are fulfilled, the applicant must be fine?

From the Eligiblity section:

Candidates are allowed to complete missing prerequisite courses during the academic year preceding admission but, as with all courses, not during the summer before their registration in the MD program of studies.

Archived