Premed 101 Forums

Publishing my undergraduate thesis

hartk48

Publishing implies you will have your article accepted in a peer reviewed journal, which is vastly different than just uploading somewhere....

your only shot is to coordinate with the prof who supervised your thesis writing (since they would be an author on the paper by default), and see if they are willing to spend the time with you to revise it for publication purposes.

This will be a huge time commitment (especially since it will likely require revisions following the first round of review), so keep that in mind.

On 8/23/2017 at 2:30 PM, hartk48 said:

So I wanted to publish my undergraduate thesis, in psychology. Problem: I am way too lazy to cut it from 57 pages into a 10-15 page article (which unfortunately looks like my only option). Anyone here knows where I can just upload it as is?

I would say you being lazy is not just a problem, it's a huge problem... If this is something you really want to do and think it is worthwhile, then you need to find the motivation to put the work in and get it done. If it was that easy to just "publish" something then it wouldn't really have much value to it now would it?

You have a couple options here, however both will likely require you to put in a lot of work and reduce the length of your paper to <5 pages (10-15 is a very very long manuscript). If you have never done this before, it will take a lot of support and revisions from your supervisor. The first option is to publish it in a student journal. This process is faster and less rigorous, but you will still need approval from your supervisor and others who have contributed to the work. The second option is to go for a peer-reviewed journal which will require substantially more work in terms of revisions, reviewer comments, and resubmission (possibly to several journals if it keeps getting rejected). This way however, will be much more valuable to have on your CV in the long run.

There is nowhere you can just upload a 57 page document and have it "published". That would be more of a blog, and chances are, once you copyright it on a blog, most journals will not be willing to accept it for a publication. Food for thought...

• 2 weeks later...

What makes you think that this work is good enough to be published? There is a huge difference between writing something and writing something that's publishable. I don't think I've ever seen an UG (or even a MSc) thesis good enough to publish.

And BTW, being too lazy to revise something down to 10 pages is going to be a big problem, not just for this project, but for most of what you want to do in life. Sorry to be the jerk that has to tell you this, but better you hear it now than after you fail at something that you really wanted. 

You need to talk to the professor/researcher who supervised your undergrad thesis. They will know whether you even have material worthy of being published, what journals you should target your revisions towards, and they may (or may not) be willing to help you. 

As others have already pointed out, uploading something does not equal publishing and I don't know of any journals that will accept a 57 page manuscript. I've known several people  who published their undergrad research so it's possible, but you definitely need to decide if it's something you're willing to commit to. 

Archived