Premed 101 Forums

Can residents prescribe medication for themselves?

Educational license in Ontario states:

Dr. XXX shall prescribe drugs only for in-patients or out-patients of a clinical teaching unit that is formally affiliated with the department where Dr. XXX is properly practising medicine and to which postgraduate trainees are regularly assigned by the department as part of its program of postgraduate medical education;

Also:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publications/Policy/Treating-Self-and-Family-Members

21 hours ago, Arztin said:

No you can't. For simple stuff, residents just ask other work colleagues to prescribe them. (like naproxen and GERD meds for example)

Even that toes a line. I know it's common practice, but that goes against standards of practice as well, and I have seen physicians told to cease such activities by provincial colleges. Healthcare workers are not supposed to be different than any other patients - if we need a prescription, we're supposed to go see our own physicians in an appropriate setting.

22 hours ago, ploughboy said:

Bad idea to ever prescribe anything for yourself. 

Provincial Colleges have fairly strict guidelines about prescribing to family members.  I've never specifically looked at guidelines for self-prescribing, mostly because it's such a ridiculously bad idea in the first place.

yeah this doesn't have anything even to do really with being a resident. 

No doctor should prescribe something to themselves or family members. There are some vague escape clauses for emergency style cases but even then. It is just a horrible idea. 

On 9/6/2017 at 5:24 PM, blacktowel said:

Out of curiosity, can residents prescribe medication to themselves?

I am pretty sure that if CPSO or your provincial health government ever pick up on this, you will get in trouble, so don`t! Rather go see a colleague, or go see your doctor! Or even ask a friend in the worst case. 

Archived