Premed 101 Forums

Canadian in UK medical school- options for coming home?

I'm hoping to get some advice about what my next steps should be. I'm currently in my second year of medical school...but in the UK. However, due to personal and financial reasons I would really like to come home to Canada for my education. Ideally, I would apply to medical school in Canada but I don't know how competitive of an applicant I would be and am therefore hesitant to leave my current medical school. My undergrad degree was in medical science (honours) with a 3.6 GPA and was completed in Canada. I was also involved in research and published a few papers. I've considered doing a public health masters before applying to medical school in Canada to strengthen my application but I don't know how much this would help me. Ultimately, my goal is to be a practicing doctor in Canada. I'm just very torn about whether it would be better to put the effort into applying for Canadian medical schools or finish in the UK and try to come back by matching into a Canadian residency position. Any suggestions or advice on what I could do in my situation would be very much appreciated. 

Why not apply to canadian medical schools, while maintaining your UK enrolment?

Are you in a 4 year or 5/6 program in UK? What program? A100?

If youre already in 2nd year of a 4 year program, it makes sense to just stick it out and enter via residency.  Probably shouldve had these thoughts before you went abroad though? 

I'm just starting the 2nd year of a 5 year program (A100). And when I started I was prepared to go abroad for the full duration of my schooling and then apply for a residency position back in Canada. However, I've had some issues in my family that have put me in a tough spot and I'm just trying to explore what options I have now. 

8 minutes ago, canmed456 said:

I'm just starting the 2nd year of a 5 year program (A100). And when I started I was prepared to go abroad for the full duration of my schooling and then apply for a residency position back in Canada. However, I've had some issues in my family that have put me in a tough spot and I'm just trying to explore what options I have now. 

Your options are then to try your best to be able to remain enrolled and begin applying to Canadian schools - this is the best option, if feasible.

Otherwise, you'll just have to cut your loses and move back to Canada and work towards improving your application for Canada and get a job of some sort in the mean time.  

With a 3.6 GPA, I would think your chances in Canada are limited even with a Masters, and then your current grades would be another factor. If affordable or doable, I would stick it out as the least disruptive and best option for you at this stage. Returning to Canada, who knows what future applicant pools will be like, how you will do in MCAT, CaSPER, hE your ECs & volunteering will reflect CanMEDS competencies and all in all, continuing on as is is in your best interests in my opinion.

I'm not sure on the exact wording, but are you "intercalated" or rather does your UK medical degree offer BSc transferable grades? In the sense that, can your grades from the first few years be used towards applying to Canadian medical schools?

@Edict would be more helpful on the technicalities. They did their UK medical studies and got into a Canadian MD school.

On 9/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, canmed456 said:

I'm hoping to get some advice about what my next steps should be. I'm currently in my second year of medical school...but in the UK. However, due to personal and financial reasons I would really like to come home to Canada for my education. Ideally, I would apply to medical school in Canada but I don't know how competitive of an applicant I would be and am therefore hesitant to leave my current medical school. My undergrad degree was in medical science (honours) with a 3.6 GPA and was completed in Canada. I was also involved in research and published a few papers. I've considered doing a public health masters before applying to medical school in Canada to strengthen my application but I don't know how much this would help me. Ultimately, my goal is to be a practicing doctor in Canada. I'm just very torn about whether it would be better to put the effort into applying for Canadian medical schools or finish in the UK and try to come back by matching into a Canadian residency position. Any suggestions or advice on what I could do in my situation would be very much appreciated. 

I would put my effort into finishing your UK degree. The issue for you is that Canadian medical schools will look at your undergraduate degree either solely or at the very least it would be treated equally as your UK grades. You wouldn't have to leave UK medical school to apply for Canadian medical school, but at your stage I think applying to Canadian medical school would just add extra stress and burden to you when you already have a lot. I know the struggles, but I would put my eggs into the USMLE, Canadian residency basket at this point. 

Keep in mind that UK clerkship is very different from Canadian clerkship. UK clinical students have almost no clinical responsibility and can show up whenever they want essentially, Canadian clerks are mandated to show up and generally have hours similar to residents. In terms of responsibilities, in the UK you need to push to do consults (even though no one will require you to do one in the UK) because it is standard that any elective student knows how to do a consultation in Canada. 

Archived