Premed 101 Forums

Non-trad self prep????

GabriellaGE

I am assuming that you are mentioning that lack of pre-reqs to suggest that you wont be taking those courses during your undergrad, correct?

I will say this, taking basic science courses have their pros and cons. I think its a great way to knock out two birds in one stone: getting credits and studying for the MCAT. You also build a stronger foundation. The con: you MAY do "worse" in those classes. I think its the wrong attitude, you will have to perform well on the MCAT and face those daunting subjects, so its best to take them a few courses at time and again build a foundation. I was a psychology major, and yet I managed to take all the science courses covered on the MCAT and did very well in them..

Anyway, to answer your other question... it is definitely possible to hit 90+ percentiles without taking pre-reqs, you can either spend 4-5 hours a week over a course of 8 months or cram 8-10 hours a day over four months. You will have to decide what is best for your mental abilities and work-life balance. I highly recommend visiting S D N or R E EDDIT, as they have large MCAT forums. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am also a non-traditional applicant planning on writing my second MCAT in the summer of 2018. Like you I am a psychology major that decided way too late into undergrad that I wanted to do medicine. 
I have already written it once, did VERY average on it hence why I am writing it again.

The first MCAT I did, I had no pre-requisites. I gave myself 2-3 months to study for it and averaged 4-6 hours a day. I was way too optimistic for this and the chem/phys, bio/biochem sections destroyed me. The only reason I even got the mark I did was because my CARs and Psych sections carried me through.

I learned from my mistake though and I realized that I needed at least a few classes to provide me with a better foundation. I took intro chem and human biology as my two options for my final year of undergrad. I also realized that in between my work, projects and volunteering, I did not have enough time to dedicate a full-time schedule to the mcat if I only gave myself 3-4 months. If you have time and a weaker science background, I would really recommend giving yourself time to understand the fundamentals. However, you could have exceptional test-taking abilities and not even require that much time, then that's up to you. I am giving myself from mid-November until next summer to really do well. 

I also don't recommend studying while you're in school. Unfortunately for us non-trads, unless you're in relevant classes - the information we're studying for our regular classes don't really help the MCAT so it'll just overload your brain and ultimately, you won't be able to retain much of both.

Archived