Premed 101 Forums

Interviewing practice sessions

Guest Dannyboy

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest macdreams

Hey guys!

Unfortunately, I can't make this Thursday's practice session (though I would love to try and make one next week :) !)

Hope the session tomorrow goes well... and for everyone interviewing this weekend, GOOD LUCK :D :D

MacDreams

For those meeting tomorrow, I will not be able to come until 8, so I was wondering where you guys think you will hold the session? The study group place in the basement below the journal stacks? Thanks!

Hi all,

Just in case anyone was planning to attend tonight's practice session, neither Nam nor myself can attend. So, unless there was a bunch of people planning to attend that hadn't made their intentions known, tonight's session is cancelled.

See everyone tomorrow (Thursday).

PD

Guest Lynlloyd

Sorry,

But, unfortunately, a last minute thing has popped up and I can't make it out to T.O. tonight. I'm still planning to get together on the 3rd for anybody else who is planning to attend that night. Have a great practice session, I'll miss being there |I and GOOD LUCK to ALL who are interviewing this weekend. I'll be sending positive thoughts over to Mac.

Lynlloyd.

Guest toothyhuh

SoHo, we'll probably be meeting in the group study rooms (the new ones in the basement) or in the basement of the old part of the library (its diff. to give directions for that, PD???) One of us will meet you in the lobby at 8:10

See you then

... look back through this discussion thread for the instructions. (pg 2 or 3)

As well, I may be a few minutes (15-20) late. Please go ahead and get started without me. I'll be by when I can.

See you tonight.

PD

Guest VwDubber

Hey Lyn,

Yes, I'm still planning on meeting wiith Blackbird on the 3rd. However, she hasn't told me what time works best for her yet. I'll let you know as soon as I find out. I'm thinking we should all meet at the same place again?

See you soon,

VDub-

gti.jpg

Hi all,

Well, I had my 6:45 a.m. interview at Mac yesterday morning. The change in venue added about 15 minutes to the time it took for me to locate the new building. However, I believe they now have signs and hand-out maps for everyone, so this should not be much of a problem.

Upon arrival, we submitted our photos and were assigned a colour-coded name badge. The colour corresponded to our simulated tutorial team. Make sure the photo is a nice one as it will be used for the yearbook, name badges, etc.

My simulated tutorial went really well. Six candidates, a Mac tutor (who was not allowed to say anything during the session except for when our time was up), and three observers. In my case, the observers sat in the same room as us (not enough one-way mirror rooms at the new venue). This was actually a good thing as it allowed the six of us to better arrange ourselves in a horseshoe configuration, as opposed to all 6 of us facing a one-way mirror. Our topic dealt with general issue of healthcare and the population. It was not of an ethical nature. We had 15 minutes to discuss the issue. Then we had 6 minutes to evaluate the group's work and another 6 minutes to evaluate ourselves. There was only 1 simulated tutorial, contrary to what I had indicated last week.

We then saw the video to which we were supposed to respond to the emotions we perceived or observed. Not much to be said here. Just watch and write what you thought you observed. Back it up with examples and proof. Then, evaluate your performance.

The personal interview was 30 minutes with the last 5 minutes reserved for my final words and questions. Three interviewers, all very nice. No ethics, no funny questions, all about me and my experiences, how I learn best, how I deal with conflict. Pretty much everything out of the 15 questions. It did appear as though they had thoroughly read my autobiographical sketch.

Overall, a very relaxed atmosphere. A Mac student was with our group the entire time and was open to answering general questions about life at Mac.

Good luck to everyone who is yet to interview.

Sean

Guest Blackbird15

Hi there,

I had my interview yesterday. It went more smoothly than I would have thought. My sim tutorial group members were all really nice. Our assignment was to discuss issues relevant to the eldery taking several prescription medications simultaneously. It was not ethical in nature. The discussion time was 15 minutes, so there was enough time to discuss and for everyone to get involved. Not as painful as I had feared! The patient video was of a patient visit with a doctor. There was no cathartic display of emotions, so it was kind of tough, but not impossible. Like PDSP said, you have to justify what you wrote and evaluate yourself. Remember to provide examples! The interview itself went pretty well. The interviewers were all friendly. However, they asked me very few specific questions on my sketch and what I'd done and what I'd learned like in my other interviews. It was mostly on how I worked in a group and how I knew when I'd learned enough etc. The interview went smoothly, but I'm not sure if they can get a full picture of who you are from that kind of questionning...

Anyway, the MMI interview session held afterward (the one Mac interviewees were invited to attend-- you all got the letter in your invitation package) was definitely interesting! I would strongly encourage you to participate. Apparently, they may be implementing it next year, so if (God forbid) you have to re-apply, you'll have an advantage over others who did not participate.

As for the practice session on Thursday, there's been a change in my plans. I still plan to attend, but may not able to make it until later (around 9). Will it still be held in the same place?

Blackbird

Guest Lynlloyd

PDSP and Blackbird15,

Congratulations on getting through the interview. I'm sure you're glad it's over. It sounds like you did wonderfully.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us on the forum, it helps to quell the nerves a little. I kind of wish that I too had it under my belt.

When you speak of examples to give for backing up your responses to the answers given about the video, I'm not sure what you mean :\ (I seem to be developing a bit of a mental block over this one!!). Can you give an example of an example (not necessarily related to the video you saw but just in general)??

Thanks again for sharing and I certainly HOPE to see you in the fall.

Blackbird, I'm planning to come to Gerstein on the 3rd and I'll look forward to seeing you about 9.

Lynlloyd.

Guest Jbird

PDSP and Blackbird

Thank-you so much for posting your interview experiences. I've been having momentary panic attacks after reading some of the questions asked on interviewfeedback.com. ie. Compare the British and Canadian Health care systems ect.... Yikes! My anxiety level has just decreased by about half. Sounds like you both had a really great day and good luck!

Guest Blackbird15

Hi Lynloyd,

Yes, I am THRILLED to be finished with my interviews... who knows what will happen on May 31st, but at least it is no longer in my hands... As for the patient video, you have to provide justification for why you say the people in the video felt a certain way. For instance, if you say, 'the patient was confused' you can use, as your justfication (in #2), 'the patient said 'I'm not sure I understand' or something like that. This is an example from the video to justify that the patient was confused. If you say that 'the patient was frustrated' you can use as your example 'the patient rolled his eyes and shook his head to indicate his frustration' to justify your assertion that the patient was frustrated. I think that this really is pretty much what the exercise is about... from the other posts, it sounds like you're not expected to do in-depth emotional analysis-- trust me, you will not have enough space or time for any of that! Don't worry too much...

Hope this is helpful!

Blackbird

Guest MACFORME

Hi guys

My interivew is on April 5. I live in Misissisauga. Are you guys still doing any practice sessions ? I haven't done any so was just curious.

Thanks

Guest VwDubber

Glad to hear there was no nerve wrecking experience on your end. :rollin :rollin Thanks for sharing your interview thoughts with us. Thursday at 9pm works for me. See you all then.

VDub-:hat

gti.jpg

Guest VwDubber

MACFORME and MACROMERE, you're nicks are totally identical at first glance .... Is this some kind of right brain effect? hahahahahaha :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

MACFORME, of course you can come. I am also interviewing on the same day as you. Tentatively, we're planning a 9pm session on Thursday in the group study area of Gerstein.

Hope to see you all there,

VDub-

gti.jpg

Guest MACFORME

VwDubber, thanks for the info. I actually have a class till 8:30 pm at St. G. so 9pm seems perfect on Thursday. So its the Underground Study Cafe place where we are meeting right? Or is it the new study area inside of Gerstien? Please confirm.

Yes the names are VERY confusing. I was confused at first myself, and thought someone wrote on my behalf :)

Hope to see you all at 9pm then on Thursday. Good luck guys.

Guest Blackbird15

Hey guys,

Please don't plan anything around me. If you want to meet earlier, go ahead. I'll be coming in from Ottawa and hope to be there around 9, but may be late. I will definitely come though (unless the whole city gets quarantined!).

Blackbird

Guest WTBMED3

Hi Guys:

would it be alright if I join the practice session this Thursday? Where is it? (I am not familiar with UofT). I would really appreciate the help. I have my interview this Saturday. Thanks!:P

Guest toothyhuh

Hello all, I was just wondering if there are people who'd like to meet earlier on Thursday, say around 7pm. I live in the suburbs and would prefer to get done by 10pm. Anyway, I don't want any plans changed just for me, but if there are people out there who'd prefer 7pm at Gerstein on Thursday, please let me know.

Thanks

Guest grandmellon

Hey Nams, It was good to see you at Western on the Weekend I'm sure you blew them away!!! hehehe

I didn't get your email address... at least i dont think I did. If you see this message drop me a line: jeffsentra@yahoo.com I have some questions

Jeff

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi toothyhuh

I also live in the suburbs and want to be done around 10pm. I can meet around 7pm.

Let's see who responds but I'm available at 7 for sure.

Lynlloyd

Archived