Premed 101 Forums

Interviewing practice sessions

Guest Dannyboy

Everyone:

There is one confirmed practice session:

Sunday, March 16th at 1:30 p.m. @ U of T - Gerstein library

There is a tentative practice session:

Thursday, March 20th (time TBD, 7:00 p.m. probably), (location TBD)

PDSP is in for both the Sunday and Thursday sessions.

Lynlloyd:

Which sessions are you interested in?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blackbird15

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this website and was wondering if I could join the interview practice sessions. I'd be interested in attending the one on Thursday.

Bye Bye Blackbird: (Blackbird15)

Everyone is welcome. I'm organizing the one for this Sunday, but I am not sure who is organizing for Thursday.

Namgalsip??

In any case, we will be meeting next Thursday, probably around 7:00 p.m. near U of T.

PD

Guest Namgalsip

Yeah, sure why not. I'll organize the Thursday one. How about 7:00pm meet at the front enterence to Gerstein Library.

Who's in?

Nams

Guest Dannyboy

I could not be dumber (ummm, actually I could but....). I actually work Thursdays (oops). Yeah, it's a challenge every week remembering when I work and yeah, the sad part is my schedule is fixed and hasn't changed for eight months. Oh boy.

Anywaz, how long do you folks think the session will last? I get off at 8 pm. If you think it will last 2 to 3 hours then I will make the trip (I am 10 mins away from Gerstein). Later

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Dannyboy,

Definitely come at 8. We will not be far into our practice and from previous experiences, these mock go on for well over an hour. The library closes at 11 and I imagine that some of us will be there until close to that time. When you come, go downstairs to the group study area (If you don't know where it is, try asking one of the librarians as it's not that easy to find).

I really hope you'll join us.

Nams

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi there,

I'm coming to the Sunday one for sure. I may also try to make the Thursday one but it's tentative at this point.

Thanks so much for pulling this together. The potential of studying with people like yourself makes this whole process worthwhile.

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi guys and gals:

So I am in for now (subject to cancellation for babysitting reasons, but looks good for now).

A few questions to PDSP and fellow organizers for mutual brainstorming, seeing that I am a logistics freak:

a) Where exactly will we set this session up because Gerstein is not THAT big--shall this just be a meeting place?

B) Should we all bring our auto submissions and sketches to build from if we are going to do practice "interviews"?

c) Should we ALL think of a group discussion issue and pick a few at random to discuss or just stick with the one's you've planned?

d) Is there a time frame for the session. I know meeting time is approx 1:30 but is there a finish or break time scheduled? I ask because in case it really does MANY hours, I must leave at 7 pm.

Take care and I hope to see you all then....

Guest toothyhuh

Hi folks..just wondering how many people have been confirmed for Sunday, just trying to get a sense of how long it would take.

As for topics for the simul tutorial, here's one that was used a while back: 'a dentist who refuses to treat an HIV positive patient' and 'the pros/cons of needle exchange program'

Toothyhuh

Well, we have great confirmations so far. For Sunday, the following people are in:

smilin2007

toothyhuh

MA2003

Helen - sent me an e-mail

Lynlloyd

macdaddyeh

PDSP

Dannyboy is a tentative yes.

So, that means we'll have 7-8 people. My thoughts are to split the group in two and do the sim-tutorial. As for the questions, how about everyone brings one question on a piece of paper, we'll toss them in a hat and choose one.

After the tutorial, we can break in to groups of two or three and do the personal interviews. I believe the real interviewers only have our autobio. If you wish to make the interview more real and don't mind sharing your autobio, pleas feel free to bring it. You can download and print it from the OMSAS website.

As for the meeting place, downstairs in Gerstein is big enough to accommodate 8 people. We'll see if we can gain access to one or both of the reading rooms in the group study area.

In terms of timing, I figure if we start at 1:45p, the tutorial should take 45 min, the interviews (3x45 min), then we should be out of there by 5:00 p.m.

PD

Guest grandmellon

How many people are planning on going on thursday? I'm coming from london just for this because it sounds like a great idea... I wish I could make this sunday, but I have an exam on monday :eek crap! which reminds me... Gotta study! hahaha

Does anyone have a MD recorder (or even a tape player) that could record the session on sunday so I can pick up some tricks or hints? I think it would be good to hear the session... just let me know! jeffsentra@yahoo.com

Talk to you all later

Guest MayFlower1

Hello people,

Here are a few :P questions I found useful preparing for my interview...they have been "borrowed" from a link through Ian's Premed website.

1. Tell me about yourself ? How do you want me to remember you ? What are your goals ?

2.        There are thousands of applicants, why should we choose you ?

3.        Convince me that you would make a good doctor.

4.        Why do you want to study medicine ?

5.        What are the pros and cons of our health care system ?

6.        If you had the power, what changes would you make to our health care system ?

7.        Do doctors make too much money ?

8.        Is it ethical for doctors to strike ?

9.        What is the Hippocratic Oath ?

10.        Should fetal tissue be used to treat disease (i.e. Parkinson's) ?

11.        If you were a doctor and an under age girl asked you for the Pill (or an abortion) and she did not want to tell her parents, what would you do ?

12.        Should doctors be allowed to 'pull the plug' on terminally ill patients?

13.        If a patient is dying from a bleed, would you transfuse blood if you knew they would not approve (i.e. Jehovah Witness) ?

14.        Why did you choose your present course of studies ?

15.        What is your favourite subject in your present course of studies ? Why?

16.        Can you convince me that you can cope with the workload in medical school?

17.        How do you study/prepare for exams ?

18.        Do you engage in self-directed learning ?

19.        Give evidence that you can relate well with others ?

20.        Give an example of a leadership role you have assumed.

21.        Have you done any volunteer work ?

22.        What would you do as Prime-minister of Canada with respect to the trade imbalance with U.S?

23.        How would you address Canada's constitutional crisis ?

24.        How do you handle stress ?

25.        What was the most stressful event in your life ? How did you handle it?

26.        The night before your final exam, your father has a heart-attack and is admitted to a hospital, what do you do?

27.        A 68 year old married woman has a newly discovered cancer. Her life expectancy is 6 months. How would you inform her ?

28.        A 34 year old man presents with AIDS and tell you, as his physician, that he does not want to tell his wife. What would you do ?

29.        If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be ?

30.        How would your friends describe you ?

31.        What do you do in your spare time ?

32.        What is the most important event that has occurred to you in the last five years ?

33.        If you had three magical wishes, what would they be ?

34.        What are your best attributes ?

35.        Should the federal government reinstate the death penalty ? Explain.

36.        What do you expect to be doing 10 years from now ?

37.        How would you attract physicians to rural areas ?

38.        Why do you want to attend our medical school ?

39.        What would you do if you were not accepted to a medical school ?

40.        How do you think you did in this interview ?

41.        Do you have any questions ? (Always ask some. Suggestion: ask 3 questions)

42.        Where did you grow up ?

43.        When did you first decide you wanted to become a physician ?

44.        What kind of medicine would you like to practice ?

45.        Where do you think you will want to live ?

46.        What do you think of the government's involvement in health care ?

47.        Is free health care a right ?

48.        What do you think about organ donation from nonviable infants ?

49.        What are you hobbies ?

50.        What do you do in your free time ?

51.        If you had to change anything about your education, what would you change ?

52.        What do you think is your greatest strength ?

53.        What do you think is your biggest weakness ?

54.        How do you feel about working with dying patients ?

55.        How do you handle depression ?

56.        What is your biggest failure and how did you handle it ?

57.        What is the most difficult decision you have ever made ?

58.        Have you ever watched anyone die ? Have you ever worked in a hospital

?

59.        What research have you done ?

60.        Why did you get a "C" in ….. subject ?

61.        What is your favorite book or author and why ?

62.        What do you do for fun ?

63.        Do your parents want you to go to medical school ?

64.        What is the single biggest factor in your selecting medicine as a career?

65.        Who was your favorite teacher and why ?

66.        Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten years ? Twenty years ?

67.        How much money do you want to make each year ?

68.        If you were given a million dollars what would you do with it ?

69.        Do you think you would enjoy living in a small town ?

70.        What was your most embarrassing moment ?

71.        Tell me about your family.

72.        Do doctors make too much money ?

73.        How will you finance your medical school education ?

74.        What do you hate ?

75.        What is your understanding of a typical day for a physician ?

76.        What do you think is Canada's biggest problem ?

77.        What do you think about the job the Prime-minister is doing ?

78.        How do you think medical malpractice could be reduced ?

79.        What is your number one environmental concern ?

80.        Do you think medicine is becoming too impersonal with the advent of technology ?

81.        A patient has been waiting two hours to see you and is very upset. What would you say to calm the patient ?

82.        You receive a malpractice claim against you in the mail. How would you react ?

83.        What is your favorite sport ?

Question List #2 -- 114 questions

1.         How did you decide to become a doctor?

2.         Why did you apply to this medical school?

3.         Why are you interested in concerning this medical school?

4.         How do you plan to pay for your medical education?

5.         What do your friends or family think of your plans to become a doctor?

6.         Tell me about a book you have read recently.

7.         What magazines do you read?

8.         Tell me about a current issue in medical education today that interests you.

9.         Do you think you could work with "sick" people every day?

10.         Have you had any volunteer or patient contact experience?

11.         Is this school your first choice?

12.         What other schools are you applying to?

13.         Do you have any hobbies?

14.         What is your impression about the MCAT? Do you think it's a helpful tool?

15.         Do you think that you can handle the medical school curriculum? Why?

16.         Do you have any questions you'd like to ask me?

17.         Do you know what area of medicine interests you now?

18.         Do you plan to go into any specialty area?

19.         Tell me more about your grades. Do you feel you have done well in the sciences? What interests you in the humanities?

20.         Who would you say most influenced you to become interested in medicine?

21.         Do you think you would complete your medical education?

22.         Tell me something about your extracurricular activities.

23.         Would you enjoy working as a physician?

24.         Is there anything else you would like to tell me about yourself?

25.         Do you have any heroes? Who are they and what makes them a hero?

26.         If you were health minister for the day, what changes or policies would you implement? Why?

27.        A patient comes in to you for advice a certain form of alternative medicine. What do you tell them?

28.         What should schools do to discourage "inflated" CV's on application to medical school?

29.         What do you think of nurse practitioners? What about their role in rural northern communities?

30.         Should nurses and or nurse practitioners have the authority to prescribe medications? If yes, when and why? If no, why?

31.         What do you think of physicians' roles in rural northern communities?

32.         What should be done to service areas designated as "underserviced," especially in the rural north?

33.         What is the greatest world challenge? How would you handle and/or resolve it?

34.         What is the situation with the pacific salmon dispute? Is it resolved? How would you resolve it?

35.         What are your thoughts on the Middle East peace process? How would you resolve it?

36.         What should the response be if Iraq curtails UN inspection of suspected weapons sites again?

37.         What are your views of the conflict occurring in the former Yugoslavian province of Kosovo? What should be done to prevent ethnic cleansing? What is ethnic cleansing? How would you resolve this multi-ethnic conflict?

38.         Do you think the Red Cross should be liable for persons who contracted Hepatitis C from transfusions?

39.         Who should compensate victims of "tainted" blood and what should that compensation be?

40.         Should the government take control of the blood supply and delivery system? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

41.         The government has considered a national "pharma-care" program? Do you think this is a good idea? (if yes, consider that it is estimated only 12% of the public does not have some form of prescription meds coverage).

42.         Should the government not spend more money on national health care?

43.         If health care is a provincial responsibility, how does the federal government ensure compliance to the Canada Health Act? What should the federal government do the strengthen the Health Act?

44.         How do you handle stress? What would be stressful for physicians and how would you handle it?

45.         A sexually active 12 year old comes in to see you. She requests to be put on the pill by her request. What do you do? What if the parent of the 12 year old requests you to put her on the pill?

46.         What is your favorite movie? book?

47.         What type of music do you listen to?

48.         What makes you sure that your ethical stance on a particular issue is correct?

49.         What do you do if a female patient refuses to allow you to examine her?

50.         The female patient above complains to the College who sends you a letter of a pending hearing into your actions. What would be your response?

51.         What can be done to shorten cardiac surgery waiting lists or any other waiting lists (other than throwing money at it - would that even help the situation?)

52.         How would you set up the algorithms for waiting lists (surgery, organ transplant etc). What do you think is important to consider?

53.         Should physicians self-prescribe medication?

54.         What can be done to control the rising cost in health care?

55.         What is you opinion on the current status and future of home care? What should be done?

56.         What do you say to a patient who really wants a treatment but you do not think it is necessary?

57.         What do you think is a pressing ethical issue that doctors currently face? What about the future, do you see any other pressing issues?

58.         What are the ramifications of the Human Genome Project? Do you view this as a good idea?

59.         What do you think about cloning? Is it acceptable? Should research surrounding this topic be pursued?

60.         What are your thoughts on abortion? euthanasia? physician assisted suicide? fetal tissue transplantation? right to self-determination?

61.         You have under your care a terminally ill cancer patient in the final stages of disease. What is appropriate care, especially in terms of palliative treatment?

62.         A physician in Nova Scotia recently had charges of murdering a terminally ill cancer patient thrown out of court. What were the issues surrounding this case? Should it have been thrown out of court? Should the prosecution try to re-prosecute the physician?

63.         What books have you recently completed?

64.         Who is your favorite author? Why?

65.         Are you familiar with EFPO (Educating Future Physicians of Ontario) roles? What do you view as the most important EFPO role? (become familiar with EFPO, they seem to like it)

66.         Is the patient always right?

67.         Can therapy conflict with well-being?

68.         What do you view as a conflict between producing benefits and avoiding harms?

69.         In terms of disclosing HIV status, do nonpatients have claims?

70.         Is prolonged treatment of a hopeless case fair? to the patient? family? physician? health care system?

71.         Do lifestyle choices negate a right to therapy?

72.         May a minor refuse life-sustaining treatment? What are the rules in Canada and Ontario?

73.         What are your views on disclosure of the patient's medical situation when the patient does not want to know? What, if anything, is the difference between wanting to know and needing to know?

74.         What is the difference between withholding and withdrawing therapy or treatment?

75.         Is it acceptable to sacrifice the one for the good of the many?

76.         How would you build consensus on a team, particularly if there exists disagreement on treatment?

77.         What is the hardest situation you have been in and how did you resolve it?

78.         What is your ONE biggest regret in life?

79.         A patient is known to have a living will. Could/should the physician or the family (power of attorney etc) ever have the authority to over-ride it?

80.         Should the government allow private clinics to open (i.e. two-tiered health care)?

81.         You are assigned to an Inuit community near James Bay. What do you think would be important for you to consider when practicing in that community? What makes that community distinct and what defines it?

82.         Should the government "assign" doctors where they are to practice medicine?

83.         What can the government do to "entice" doctors to go to under-serviced areas?

84.         What do you think of the current fee-for-service pay schedule for doctors?

85.         Some groups promote the capitation method of physician payment. What is it, and do you agree with it? Is it better than fee-for-service?

86.         Should physicians be salaried?

87.         If a physician in a small community is on-call in the hospital, should they receive pay regardless of whether they see a patient, or should it remain fee-for service?

88.         Why are B.C. doctors on strike? Do you agree with them? Should physicians ever go on strike?

89.         Now that Canada has a budget surplus what should be done with it?

90.         Does Quebec have the right of unilateral separation?

91.         How would you resolve the separatist conflict in Quebec? Can it be resolved? Will the country stay together? What are the ramifications should Quebec vote to separate?

92.         Canadian doctors face constant pressure to migrate south of the border to practice. What are the advantages and disadvantages in doing this to the physician themselves?

93.         A woman has recently filed a 2.4 million dollar suit against a hospital in Hamilton since she experienced pain during child-birth. What are your thoughts on this issue?

94.         What are your views on the debate between name-brand medication and generic brands?

95.         A patient presents to the hospital with head and neck injuries after a bar fight. He seems to have been sucking back the "fire-water" a little excessively and you are particularly worried that the neck injuries may cause paralysis or that there may be an internal brain hemorrhage. The patient is very combative and is constantly swearing at you to release him from the hospital immediately. He says he wants to get the "@#%$" out and doesn't give a "@#%$" if he does go paralyzed. When, if ever, should you let him go? Are there any precautions you should take?

96.         A "new-aged" mother comes in with her infant child for a scheduled visit. You discuss the vaccination schedule which you are so accustomed to doing. The mother informs you she does not want her child to be vaccinated. She is part of a group that says ("knows") vaccines are "bad" and only damage children. She believes that her child's immune system will take care of any viruses and does not see the need for vaccines. Thus she refuses to have her child vaccinated. What do you do?

97.         The child above subsequently develops polio myelitis? What do you do?

98.         A patient is diagnosed with stage IIA (bad, but could be worse) ovarian cancer. You begin discussing options with her including surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. She informs you that she wants to avoid any of that and drink a new "tincture of grass clippings" which is guaranteed to cure her of the cancer. What do you do?

99.         The patient above comes back to your office 2-3 months later, very fragile, pale, having lost a large amount of weight, and in considerable pain. The cancer has now metastasized to her lungs, lymph nodes, vertebrae, and is at stage IV (the worst). What do you do?

100.         A 30 year old son is worried about his father. He feels that since his mother's death, his father seems depressed and "not caring" about life. The son worries about the father's health and well-being, particularly his heart and liver. The son asks you to get the father in your office and perform a complete physical examination. What are your immediate concerns? What are your obligations in this matter? Does the son have the right to phone in to the doctor to get his father an appointment "behind his back?"

101.         What are your views on the closure of hospitals in Ontario? Is it a good idea?

102.         Can health care be sustained with fewer hospitals? What needs to be done to maintain and/or improve the health care situation?

103.         Is the Health Services Restructuring Commission (HSRC) proceeding in the right direction? Who is the head of the HSRC?

104.         What are the changes to the health care system in the City of London as recommended by the HSRC? Do you think it will affect your education? How and why?

105.         How will changes to the health care infrastructure affect the catchment areas which are serviced by the main centres?

106.         What advice would you give the Minister of Health if you were a memberof the HSRC?

107.         Who are the federal and provincial Ministers of Health?

108.         What is/are your strengths? weaknesses? greatest strength? greatest weakness?

109.         What is your greatest fear? How do (did) you face it or how would you face it?

110.         What are your plans if you do not get into medical school?

111.         Discuss a team which you belong(ed) to? How did/would you resolve conflicts in the team? What if you were not successful in conflict resolution?

112.         There has been much talk recently of the Asian economic crisis which some blame on the local governmental regimes living well beyond their means. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has agreed to infuse hundreds of billions of dollars in an attempt to stabilize the situation. What is the IMF? Do you agree with this action, and is it necessary?

113.         Some people are angered by the fact that the Canadian government has instituted tough measures to eliminate the deficit and are now tackling the debt. Do you agree with the approach the government of Canada has taken? How would you do things differently? Assuming that the Asian crisis is the fault of the respective Asian regimes, how can we justify spending that quantity of money whereas Canadians are asked to swallow a seemingly bitter pill to rectify our "own" economic situation?

114.         Recent events have called into question the personal lives of public figures, particularly in politics. Do you feel that it is the right of the public to be aware of the personal lives of politicians specifically or public figures in general? Should there be limits to what the public has a "right" to know? If so who will monitor the limits and what will those limits be?

Good luck preparing guys...the live mocks/debate are a great thing to do...

Peter

Guest macdaddyeh

Grandmellon:

I'm originally from London (born and raised); been in Toronto 7 years. Which high school did you go to? [use simple letters] (I went to SWL in South London). Most of my friends and family are still there! Are you at Western now?

Well we'll be talking soon enough if you come to the practice session.

grandmellon:

The following people are confirmed for Thursday:

Namgalsip

PDSP

Blackbird

grandmellon

Others who may attend:

Dannyboy (after 8 pm)

Lynlloyd

macdaddyeh

PD

Guest Dannyboy

PD: didn't I already explain to you that you get cut off because you were once mean to me? I have very, very, great powers...you have no idea....I have decided, based on an evaluation of your behavior these past three weeks, to consider giving you back your blab-privileges. I'll let you know what I decide.

Guest grandmellon

hey macdaddyeh

I'm actually from T.O. but I go to Uni in london... in TO i went to wexford high school where I learned all about crazy theatrical arts kids :rollin

Oops. Sorry vwDubber.

|I PD

So, Thursday stands at:

Namgalsip

PDSP

Blackbird

grandmellon

vwDubber

Dannyboy ?

Lynlloyd ?

macdaddyeh ?

Dannyboy,

Where's the love? Not only did I get my blab-privileges revoked, but you also attempted to charge me $50 for invoking your logic centre. Gee!! :eek

PD

Guest Dannyboy

Puff Daddy, for your "411", $50 for me jump-starting my brain is a STEAL. Sorry I have to "tough love" you but geez, I have to save my Mother Teresa work for things that can be put on my CV. Perhaps you don't undertand: I am yet another maniacal dictator-want-to-be trying to "boot-kick to your head" my way to med school. You are an engineer, a pilot, and premed-close-to-med student---I am sure your life is a one big love smorgesbord. You certainly don't need any love from this nasty prune. Gosh, you novices are too much...

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there Gersteiners:

It was an evelenth hour decision to not come tommorow:\ . Sorry for not being able to make the session; it sounds like a great idea, but at this time my academic and familial responsibilities have me precariously positioned to have little extraneous time to shlep downtown despite how mutually beneficial it might have been.

I look forward to meeting some/all of you in the future (hopefully at interviews or at the orientation week;) ; [dare I be so hopeful]).

Thought I would make this announcement public so as not to make anyone question my whereabouts. I'm sure you will all do fine. Thanks for the invitation and the practical suggestion of meeting. Take care for now!:D

Archived