Premed 101 Forums

Interviewing practice sessions

Guest Dannyboy

macdaddyeh:

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to join us. It is our misfortune. But, as you say, life has priorities and the key to sanity is keeping them in-line. Enjoy your family time.

Dannyboy:

No comment.

For the rest of us:

I'm confirming our 1:30 pm get-together tomorrow at Gerstein (U of T).

PD

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MACOMERE

Hi! is this only open to those who got interview invitations?

I would love to meet people who have successfully gone thorough the "fisrt rounds" of the admissions process.

Also Nams: I would love to meet you since you were so helpful to me regarding your YCI adventure.

Guest Dannyboy

the meetings are open to EVERYONE. That was the initial stipulation with this post and I am pretty well 127% positive that everyone still stands by that one. If anything, those who were not fortunate enough to get interviews *this year* could benefit the most from the meetings. See ya there.

Guest MA2003

Hi,

Unfortunately, something came up at the last minute and I wasn't able to make the Sunday meeting. Sorry! However, I would like to join all of you on Thursday, so please put me on the list!

Thanks!

Guest Namgalsip

Hey PD,

Thanks for organizing the Thursday list. I apologize for being out of touch over the weekend. I just flew back from Calgary this morning. I only had 3 hrs. of sleep on the plane and now attempting to do some work....probably not the best idea! Peter, I wish I had your superhuman abilities to function without sleep.

Anyhow, here's the list up to now. Please let me know if I forgot anyone.

Namgalsip

PDSP

Blackbird

grandmellon

vwDubber

Macromere,

Ma2003

Dannyboy ?

Lynlloyd ?

macdaddyeh ?

I will be bringing photocopies of a simulated tutorial discussion that I got at Mac before.

I hope to see you all there!

Nams

ps. how did the session go on yesterday?

Guest macdreams

Hi everyone :)

Although I read the posts on this board every day, I've been avoiding reading this thread until now as I didn't want to be depressed by it :| . (I'm one of the wait-list crew!)

Unfortunately, I have a U of T class at that time on Thursday... however, it's usually over by 8:30. Will people still be there then? Is there somewhere in the library I could meet you all at that time?

Hope so :D !! It's be nice to meet you :)

MacDreams

Macdreams: Let's hope that there is some movement on that wait list. Fingers crossed.

Update from our discussion on Sunday:

According the WHO, the leading cause of death worldwide is ... Cardiovascular disease!! Yep, both in the developed and developing nations! Here is the list:

Deaths - worldwide in 1990 (thousands)

1 Ischaemic heart disease 6260

2 Cerebrovascular disease 4381

3 Lower respiratory infections 4299

4 Diarrhoeal diseases 2946

5 Perinatal conditions 2443

6 Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 2211

7 Tuberculosis 1960

8 Measles 1058

9 Road traffic accidents 999

10 Cancer of trachea/bronchus/lung 945

(Note, all Cancers combined equated to around 6M, placing it as number 2 on the list)

You can check out the Global Burden of Disease report at:

www.who.int/water_sanitat...achap3.pdf

PD

Guest macdreams

Thanks for the good wishes PDSP :)

Just to reiterate.... Unfortunately, I have a U of T class at that time on Thursday... however, it's usually over by 8:30. Will people still be there then? Is there somewhere in the library I could meet you all at that time?

What do you guys think?

Mac Dreams

Guest Dannyboy

People will still be goin' at it at 8:30--I have to work until 8 so I will be late as well. On Sunday, Puff took us to a dark, dangerous, dingy corner of the library---sooooo scary. It might be hard for you to locate so if you'd like, I can arrange to meet you at the front of Gerstein library and take you down into the dungeon. It is the group study area; perhaps you are familiar with it? It isn't at all bad; I am just being annoyingly outside of the box (that observation was for Sunday's group).

Just let me know if you'd like me to meet you at 8:30.

Puff: figures you'd nail that WHO thingy. Where do I start with you? I told my prof about your findings and she thought it was quite interesting (= didn't buy it) BUT she certainly stressed the importance of breaking mortality down by age and geopgraphical status as well as the importance of being critical of how the WHO arrives at their findings. We can talk about that on Thursday if you'd like. In the mean time: thanks!

Guest Lynlloyd

PDSP!!

Thanks a million for sharing. You are sooooo helpful and what a scout for information. I was looking for that resource you mentioned on Sunday..........A Year in review 2002. I checked CMA and OMA but with no luck. Any other suggestions?

Guest macdreams

Hey Dannyboy,

Yeah, that would be super helpful. I know gerstein, but obviously not that well (I had no idea that there was a group study area... I ususally find myself confined to the equally creepy journal stacks :P )

Like I said, my class is always over around 8:30, so perhaps I could meet you right by the library's glass doors shortly thereafter?

Thanks again!

MacDreams

lynlloyd:

Looked for that article again, but couldn't find it. I have a printed copy that you are welcome to look at Thursday (and copy if you wish).

Sean

Blackbird15:

It is probably easiest if everyone meets in the front entrance of Gerstein at 7:00 p.m and we can find the Group study area from there. The directions to the group study area, in case anyone is late, are:

1. Enter Gerstein's main entrance, up the steps, through the turn-stiles.

2. Make a right on the far side of the information desk to walk past the 5 or 6 photocopiers.

3. Keep walking straight and you will see a door straight ahead. Go through this door.

4. Now, you are in a stairwell which will take you down one level to the basement.

5. At the bottom of the stairwell, open the door, make a left, and go down another 3 stairs.

6. Walk straight till you come to a T in the hallway. Make a left.

7. The group study area is straight ahead, down a little ramp.

Not too confusing, eh?

PD

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks PDSP..........again!

I'll take a look on Thursday if you remember to bring. Can you buy copycards at the Library??

See you then!

Lynlloyd.

Guest macdreams

Hey Lynlloyd,

You sure can. They have visitor cards you can get and it's 10 cents a copy I think :)

See you Thursday,

MacDreams

Guest macdreams

Hey Grand,

Yeah, I think bringing our sketches sounds like a good idea. That is what the interviewers will get after all :) Plus we could help each other by seeing what areas we all could improve in and what we're acing already :b !

MacDreams

Guest Dannyboy

Macdreams: did you still want me to meet you at the front inside-entrance of Gerstein? If so, please let me know you ETA(est. time of arrival). I'll plan on wearing a green coat.

Guest macdreams

Yeah, that'd be great DannyBoy. (Although there were some instructions, I still may have problems finding you all!)

How 'bout we plan to meet at the glass doors to the library at 8:40. That should give me enough time to get there... even if my class goes late :P

Thanks!

MacDreams

P.S. I'm usually in a yellow coat... VERY easy to spot! Tee hee hee :)

Archived