Premed 101 Forums

Experiences at MUN, Dal and Nosm for residency

Mouserat

I am fortunate enough to have received interviews almost across the board in my two specialties of interest (family and Pediatrics). Therefore I  have to decide which interviews to accept and attend. I am from Western Canada and I haven’t been to the Eastern provinces before so I was wondering if anyone would be able to share their experiences at either of those schools in terms of their experiences living there, moving there, being supported by the university, anything specific to those programs and so forth. They are three schools very far from my home so would be my first instinct to cut but at the same time, I don’t want to decline interviews blindly if they are great places for residency. 

Any input would be much appreciated!

I have no information to share. However, in your own best interests, I would encourage you to accept all interviews as you have no idea where lightning will strike. There is a large element of luck involved here. You really just need to rank your choices in due course. In my time, I applied for 3 fields, got my 3 interviews, one in each field. I was a gunner in one of those fields, had a publication, presentation, excellent LORs etc and was good at doing interviews. I was not selected for my first choice and was selected in a field of interest where I knew practically nothing. This is where the element of luck comes into play. I wish you every success.

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

I have no information to share. However, in your own best interests, I would encourage you to accept all interviews as you have no idea where lightning will strike. There is a large element of luck involved here. You really just need to rank your choices in due course. In my time, I applied for 3 fields, got my 3 interviews, one in each field. I was a gunner in one of those fields, had a publication, presentation, excellent LORs etc and was good at doing interviews. I was not selected for my first choice and was selected in a field of interest where I knew practically nothing. This is where the element of luck comes into play. I wish you every success.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what specialty are you in at the moment?

I am from MUN! I have done many peds rotations and from what I can tell, they are a close group of residents who seem pretty happy and content with their positions at MUN. Through completing core clerkship at MUN, the peds faculty and staff are some of the nicest I have encountered. It is a very collegial and positive environment. Its not cut throat or competitive. The residents were always great with med students. If there was something to be disappointed in with NL, it would be the weather and likely not the residency program haha. 

That being said, I am not a peds resident. This is just my clinical clerk perspective on this!

I know MUN peds has had some failure issues in the past. I don't know what the current program is like in regards to pass rate on the RC exam, but a few years ago I recall they had a few residents fail. I would make sure I looked into that.

MUN family is extremely strong from my understanding. They also have quite a few streams, so you can decide if you'd rather be up North, in more rural areas of the Island of NL or in the more urban area of the Avalon.

Archived