Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding computes

Guest MA2003

Guest MA2003

I have a question for all the current med students:

Is it advisable to have a laptop computer at Mac? I know that some of the other programs (e.g., Ottawa) require laptops. Although the med program is not "online" at Mac the way it is at Ottawa, is a laptop still particularly useful?

Right now I have a desktop, but I'm trying to start planning for the fall.

Thanks!

Guest macMDstudent

Neither a laptop or a PP is absulutely necessary, but you do need a decent computer with a high speed connection to take full advantage of the medical library's proxy server and its huge collection of on-line journals and texts. Also, absolutely everything important going on in the program is posted on our internal website, Learnlink, so you need to check that almost daily!

A laptop comes in handy for doing presentations, but usually somebody in your group will have one or you can arrange for a laptop with the projector from the AV department at school if that doesn't work out. Personally, although I have a laptop, I have only brought it to school for presentations that I have done (about 4 times this year). I do like having a laptop at home with my wireless connection so I don't have to sit at my desk all the time though!

As far as Palm Pilots, I don't think you need them in year 1. I think clerkship and residency is when they will come in handy for all the information you can store on them. If you like using one instead of a datebook, then go for it but you will not really be in many situations where you have to look something up in a clinical setting in year one. It's enough to watch and try and understand what is going on! I have a PP and all I use it for is as a geeky datebook. I am going to have to upgrade mine when I go to clerkship to get one with faster chip and more memory anyway. The technology is improving so fast I would suggest holding off until at least you've been in the program for a while and then you can decide if you need it or not.

That is my opinion. Hope that helps.

Guest jmh2005

Hey guys...

I agree with my bud above...the only thing you really need is new, fast computer, desktop or laptop...doesn't matter. I have a regular dell desktop (I love my 17" screen!!) so I haven't gone to the laptop. I have never run into a group that didn't have at least one person who had a laptop (which are important in units 2, 3 & 4 when you need to do your CPC (clino-pathological conferences) presentations to your fellow classmates (powerpoint).

The other thing about computers...you get a proxy account meaning that you can access all the computer resources McMaster is licenced to use...thousands of journals, books, scientific american medicine (you will learn to become best buds with this link!!!!) So, not only a good computer but invest in a good printer...a good printer is a must not only for tutorial but for downloading copies of large and small group talks (they usually send these out before presentations so you can review ahead of time, or not!)...

As MacMD said, he never spends time at the library, nor do I..just to check email and pick up articles that are on reserve (which are also often helpful...but NOT in GI!!!)

I bought a palm pilot when I got in (a mistake in retrospect...) and yes I knew how to use it well on day one of school...but like MacMd said, I used it for my schedule (which didn't work for me anyways...you can't really look-ahead, ie. your schedule next week, 2 weeks from now)...I'm back to my little black book and I'm much happier.

Palms are great for clerkship for looking up drugs, ALCS protocols, patients, etc...If I had to do it again, I would have held off until maybe now, post unit 3, learned how to use it just before clerkship, etc...

However, there are lots of people who use theirs on a daily basis and would be lost without one. One guy in my tutorial uses his all the time, add's stuff in during clinical skills sessions, etc...

So, it does depend on your style and I think, how comfortable you are with hand-held technology.

Just one other thing...the program has been putting our health care problems on CD for each unit (so CD rom is helpful), the CD contains the problem wording, resources and also some x-rays/ct's/angios, etc...so looking at these can be a bonus especially if you are interested in Radiology. I 've only really used mine a few times, but they are trying to make them better and contain more info/pics/etc..so your unit 1 cd may end up being very helpful...

Hope that helps!

Guest SireWire

Speaking of computers, does anyone know whether it makes a difference to have a Mac or a PC? I currently have a Macintosh and it would be nice if the CDROMs etc. were compatible. Otherwise, I may have to buy a PC. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate hearing your comments! Thanks.

Guest jmh2005

Yes...I believe that you just need to ask for a Mac compatible CD and you can pick it up in the learning resources office. I don't think it has been a problem for Mac users...

Hope that helps!

Guest mcmed

I absolutely agree with my classmates comments...the only thing that I would add that if you are planning to buy a new computer for the fall (ie. your current computer isn't fast enough, or able to run high-speed internet connections) then I would recommend a lap-top over a desk top for 2 reasons:

1) They are useful for presentations, and although many of your classmates are always willing to share their computers for presentations, not having a laptop arranged until the night before a presentation can be stressful (and sometimes they are not available through AV)

2) I plan to take my laptop with me on my elective this summer.

With that said, don't rush out and buy a laptop...you can more than get by as long as you have a good desktop (my comment is only directed at those who are planning on buying a new computer this summer anyway)

As for the PDA, I have found mine useful and I would be lost without it...but I didn't spend a lot of money on the "latest and greatest" model (mine was a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down). I think that you can pick up a base model (m100) pretty cheap now (under $100) if you just want to get used to having and using a PDA (8MB memory....enough to run a couple of small applications) until you are well into the program (ie clerkship) and know what your exact needs are. I also remember that one of our classmates got the class a great deal on Sony clies, so you might want to wait and see what your classmates use, and if there are any deals.

Sorry for the long post :)

Archived