Premed 101 Forums

Question for those who were able to attend MMI info session

Hey everyone, I know the podcast of the info session should be posted soon but I was wondering if anyone would be able to relay some of the important points in the interim. Specifically, I was wondering if there was any discussion of the new "traditional" interview. Thank you!!

Hey!

I believe Dr. Walker will email all interviewees next week with the information but from what I got:

This year there will be two "circuits."

Circuit 1: 7 MMI stations, apparently they have will be a bit more creative this year? Expect a combination of classic "What would you do" scenarios, actor station(s) and task based station(s). From what I got, they want to make the stations more diverse this year to test applicants in different ways since they found that a specific subset/type of applicant consistently did well on their MMIs.

Circuit 2: Two 2-assesor semi-structured "panel" interviews (one uses your Top 10 as context, so review it!!!!) and a group station (4-5 people). From what I understand, the two semi-structured interviews are more like "traditional interviews" but with a particular focus in each interview (there is no "prompt" to read, you simply enter the room and begin the process). Note that in this circuit, you can start at any of the three activities (for example: semi - semi - group, group - semi - semi, semi - group, semi).

Also note that you either start at Circuit 1 or 2 and will have a break before switching to the next circuit. Weighting of Circuit 1/2 hasn't been determined but they could potentially weight the semi-structured interviews higher. In total, you'll have 12 scores (1 from each MMI station, 4 from the two semi-structured interviews and 1 from the group station).

Overall, I think they are trying to diversify their interview process and I'm super excited for it! I hope this helps and I'm sure there will be a email soon! 

1 hour ago, jengamaster said:

What do they mean by task-based stations? What sort of things are they looking for?

I am not too sure either, I assumed it would be similar to the puzzle station (example on the UofC MD website) but I think Dr. Walker said an example of a task based station would be: "Your plane is about to crash and you have a list of 30 items, which 10 would you take and why?" (I might have heard incorrectly as this was very strange to me)

Also I forgot to add, another type of MMI station would be ones with different cues like visual (picture) and written (???) rather than simply reading a prompt about a scenario. They really want to test for different attributes in different ways to collect a "broader skill set" from applicants.

I'm not sure if this helps or adds even more confusion but hopefully the email/podcast will clear it up!

1 hour ago, JustADreamer said:

I am not too sure either, I assumed it would be similar to the puzzle station (example on the UofC MD website) but I think Dr. Walker said an example of a task based station would be: "Your plane is about to crash and you have a list of 30 items, which 10 would you take and why?" (I might have heard incorrectly as this was very strange to me)

Also I forgot to add, another type of MMI station would be ones with different cues like visual (picture) and written (???) rather than simply reading a prompt about a scenario. They really want to test for different attributes in different ways to collect a "broader skill set" from applicants.

I'm not sure if this helps or adds even more confusion but hopefully the email/podcast will clear it up!

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that it's getting harder to practice for these...which I assume is their goal.

16 hours ago, snowqueen200 said:

Based on the email from Dr. Walker about the interview format, does anyone have an idea what the two semi-structured interviews will be like? I am still confused and worried. 

Why is there a need for two different ones???

I think one of them will ask you questions directly from your Top 10 ; the other one will ask you general questions related to anything and everything. I am honestly not sure what they will be doing in the second semi-structured interview, but given that you can never really predict how they will conduct the second semi-structured interviews, I think you really need to go with the flow and be yourself!!!

I know I have not answered your question, but I don't think anyone knows the answer to your question. If anyone knows what the second semi-structured interview will be about, please comment to enlighten us.

Best of luck, snowqueen :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there is a clock in the MMI/panel interview rooms? I imagine it's tough to know how long you have been talking without a timer! And just don't have enough time to practice much unfortunately, so I won't be able to get that natural sense of timing. If not, do you recommend wearing a watch? (Although i feel it might be uncomfortable to look at a watch!). Anyone know about clocks or other suggestions? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, hockey said:

Hi everyone, does anyone know if there is a clock in the MMI/panel interview rooms? I imagine it's tough to know how long you have been talking without a timer! And just don't have enough time to practice much unfortunately, so I won't be able to get that natural sense of timing. If not, do you recommend wearing a watch? (Although i feel it might be uncomfortable to look at a watch!). Anyone know about clocks or other suggestions? Thanks!

I didn't notice any clocks in the rooms, and personally, I wore a watch. However, I didn't even think of glancing at the watch even once during my actual interview. I think it's better to focus on flowing well versus timing your answers. 

2 hours ago, yake said:

I didn't notice any clocks in the rooms, and personally, I wore a watch. However, I didn't even think of glancing at the watch even once during my actual interview. I think it's better to focus on flowing well versus timing your answers. 

makes sense, thanks for the advice!

Archived